Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS physically in Philippines (Manila?) in 2016
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS physically in Philippines (Manila?) in 2016

Trying to help out a client that moved to the Philippines and needs super low latency in the Philippines for local customers because of their typically poor internet.

(I know Singapore is the recommended location otherwise but in this case it needs to be as local as possible)

Is web.com.ph still the only game in town or are there other possibilities?

Doesn't need to be high bandwidth or large disk or even high cpu, just reliable and cheap.

Completely unmanaged is fine, even openvz is fine as long as the node isn't oversold.

Comments

• estnocestnoc Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2016

what is the budget? perhaps i can offer something.

Thanked by 1singhigh
  • nepsneps Member

wwwcom said: (I know Singapore is the recommended location otherwise but in this case it needs to be as local as possible)

HK is generally better. And unless you have bottomless enterprise budget, Hosting outside the Philippines is better and more stable. Until the Philippine ISPs fix their peering, traffic is getting routed through HK anyway. You're actually adding latency by hosting in-country.

• MagbanuaMagbanua Member
    edited June 2016

@neps said:

wwwcom said: (I know Singapore is the recommended location otherwise but in this case it needs to be as local as possible)

HK is generally better. And unless you have bottomless enterprise budget, Hosting outside the Philippines is better and more stable. Until the Philippine ISPs fix their peering, traffic is getting routed through HK anyway. You're actually adding latency by hosting in-country.

That's correct. Traffic from PLDT to any other ISPs in PH is routed through HK then back to PH. Better host it in HK (preferably) or SG.

• shellshell Member

wwwcom

www.com.ph

hmmm...

@wwwcom said:
    Is web.com.ph still the only game in town or are there other possibilities?

• HK or JP, much better. Not a good idea within PH.

• wwwcomwwwcom Member

@shell said:
    wwwcom

www.com.ph

hmmm...

ha, I assure you, total coincidence, I knew virtually nothing about Philippines until a month ago when this client moved and started to experience the horrible internet there

They have both SMART and GLOBE cellular modems, will have them traceroute to see if traffic goes to HK and back like people are saying

(routing through a China controlled area like HK is pretty stupid for security and speed)

they cannot even get 1mbps steady speed and internet is down half the week, can you imagine living like that these days?

the only thing that seems to work really reliably for some reason is Google mail, even when their web browsing is down, their gmail app always works - google must have some magic servers down there in a local datacenter

• @wwwcom said:
    routing through a China controlled area like HK is pretty stupid for security and speed

HK is outside of China. Yes HK is part of China, but it has its own government and stuff. The GFW doesn't control that, maybe some of the Chinese laws apply, but that's only concerned if you are doing illegal stuff, but again any country would not allow you on that.

• wwwcom said: (routing through a China controlled area like HK is pretty stupid for security and speed)

you really need to know more about asia then....

edited June 2016

@Magbanua said:

@neps said:

That's correct. Traffic from PLDT to any other ISPs in PH is routed through HK then back to PH. Better host it in HK (preferably) or SG.

Not all the providers does the HKG trip. Please take a closer look at the traceroute pictures i attached here. These are the results from our network. I took a traceroute to Bayan, PLDT and SkyBroadband (3 most common providers) and none of them goes through HKG, they are all direct. Hell, even China Unicon in Beijing province is connected DIRECTLY not through HKG. China Telecom and China Mobile how much i remember are going through the HKG but yet the ping is 60-80ms. I attach that picture here aswell. Please make your facts 100% sure before you tell such things.
    PLDT PH from our server in PH

Bayan PH from our server in PH

Skybroadband PH from our server in PH

China Unicom Beijing from our server in PH

Thanked by 1wwwcom
  • @estnoc said:

Where is your server colocated, Vitro DC?

No, IPC.

@Magbanua said:

@estnoc said:

Where is your server colocated, Vitro DC?

• Any other alternative?