Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Route a Failover IP to a home router
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Route a Failover IP to a home router

pbalazs123pbalazs123 Member
edited June 2016 in Help

Hi folks!

I have a CentOS server at OVH with one IP + a failover IP, 51.254.x.x and 91.134.x.x. Currently, 51.254.x.x is assigned to eth0, and 91.134.x.x is assigned to eth0:1.

I have a Mikrotik router in a remote location behind NAT. How the router can use the IP address 91.134.x.x as its primary IP address?

Currently a L2TP/IPSec tunnel is working between the Mikrotik router and the CentOS VPS but i'd like to forget all those port forwarding rules...

Thanks!

Thanked by 2karjaj david_W

Comments

• No one?

• pbalazs123 said: but i'd like to forget all those port forwarding rules...

sorry, you don't have a choice here

• UrDNUrDN Member

I would suggest an OpenVPN link in topology subnet. Add a static ARP entry on your server then route the traffic to the tun interface.

• jh_aurologicjh_aurologic Member, Patron Provider

You could simply use any tunneling protocol, add a route to your router and back for @internet (0.0.0.0/0).

Between your home router and OVH you need a tunnel with a seperate subnet which acts as transfer network (/30 should be enough).

• @UrDN

OpenVPN is not working on the Mikrotik router due to an encapsulation problem...

• If i do this way then i have to order another IP right? If not then i'm gonna make a loop.

@Kabeldamagement said:
    You could simply use any tunneling protocol, add a route to your router and back for @internet (0.0.0.0/0).

Between your home router and OVH you need a tunnel with a seperate subnet which acts as transfer network (/30 should be enough).

No, you only need your failover ip, the rest is done by a private subnet which acts as transfer subnet ;-)

At home, I have the same setup running to do BGP over OpenVPN and route static ip-addresses :)

• I guess you'd have to proxy-arp or some such because of the way OVH assigns the IP's (I.e they're not routed to your server but rather just bridged/placed on the Vlan)

• I understand this, but i'm using the Failover IP to establish the L2TP/IPsec tunnel that's why i asked. On the main IP i'm using other things...

@Kabeldamagement said:
    No, you only need your failover ip, the rest is done by a private subnet which acts as transfer subnet ;-)

At home, I have the same setup running to do BGP over OpenVPN and route static ip-addresses :)

• patrick7patrick7 Member, LIR

Btw, UDP on MikroTik will be available starting from RouterOS v7.

• @patrick7 said:
    Btw, UDP on MikroTik will be available starting from RouterOS v7.

Which probably isn't coming anytime soon.

Thanked by 1MrObvious
  • Any command line examples? :)

...and route static ip-addresses :)

• patrick7patrick7 Member, LIR

dragon2611 said: Which probably isn't coming anytime soon.

They promised a final release for this year.

• mik997mik997 Member

a GRE tunnel might be what you're looking for .. you can then use iptables on the OVH VPS to forward all or selected ports from your failover IP to your home router

@pbalazs123 said:
    Any command line examples? :)

...and route static ip-addresses :)

Just have a look at the linux route command (route add is what you want) and also openvpn static client ip-addressing, this should help you most ;-)