Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you allow pings to your public servers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Just wondering what people's thoughts are on pings to their public servers.

A brief comment would also be appreciated.

1. Do you allow pings to your public servers?77 votes
    1. Yes, I allow unrestricted pings to my servers.
      64.94%
    2. Yes, I allow pings (but with restrictions) to my servers.
      23.38%
    3. No, I don't allow pings to my servers.
      11.69%

Comments

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited June 2016

For me, it would be a no (apart from a LookingGlass/test page). It's easier to manage and it does a darn good job of weeding out scrypt kiddies trying to layer4 :)

Thanked by 1globalRegisters
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Flat out blocking pings or ICMP in general is dumb and can break things. However applying some rate- and packet size limits could make sense.

• Looking at Google, mhmm.

Thanked by 2ehab globalRegisters
  • I've never understood why people block ping. It's a frequently essential troubleshooting tool. Blocking it serves pretty much no useful purpose.

• jtkjtk Member

ICMP echo messages are not scary. I much prefer to see a few stray packets that aren't legitimate, but relatively harmless in lieu of transparency and ease of troubleshooting.

• @Microlinux said:
    I've never understood why people block ping. It's a frequently essential troubleshooting tool. Blocking it serves pretty much no useful purpose.

Blocking traceroutes can be just as annoying perticullarly when you are trying to find out where your traffic is being dropped/lost.

• blackblack Member

I do not block ping requests as I see no reason to do so.

• I used to but not anymore since it doesn't really change anything