Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Synchronising files/network drive software
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Synchronising files/network drive software

hzrhzr Member

I have a few hundred gigabytes of video files and RAW images that needs to somehow be made available as a network mount or otherwise; what are the latest ways to approach this? Ideally the best thing would be to show up as a folder on Windows where files can be moved between subfolders easily.

A lot of them are small (15-30MB), so overhead might or might not be an issue for some ways.

Linux server, Windows client.

Looked at:

• infinit.sh - private request-invite, no windows client
  • seafile - I've seen a whole bunch of posts about security problems
  • owncloud - apparently this has some issues with large files and uses php + a webserver and something about a bankruptcy or losing files too?
  • syncthing - anyone have experiences on this?
  • sparkleshare - own site says uses VCS, not so great on large binary files, which is incredibly helpful upfront
  • bittorrent sync - anyone have experiences on this?

I don't need it to be open source or client side encrypted, as long as I can do standard filesystem operations like mv and rm on the server, and have it propagate out to client. And same for clients moving files between folders to server.

Comments

• tommytommy Member
    edited June 2016

Look at samba. It really easy to share file(s), afyer everything work you can add shortcut manually

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

+1 for samba, the share is a setup and forget so no need to over complicate with some kind of panel.

• charoscharos Member

are we talking about lan or wan between the two??

• hzrhzr Member

WAN, and client will probably be behind NAT/CGNAT, and 139/445 might be filtered, not sure

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited June 2016

Edit: Ignore, I misread :/

• tommytommy Member

probably? So no one can answer your question!!

Let's asking for magician.

• charoscharos Member
    edited June 2016

Seafile is not meant to be used like this although it will deliver the task.
    I think either BTsync or Syncthing are good candidates.
    Syncthing is more intensive on the cpu and io load from my personal experience.
    I use BTsync 1.4 ,since version 2 screwed things up for my taste. It's simple,lightweight and just works.
    It won't allow you to do mv on the server since it just syncs folders.
    Maybe try Pydio instead.