Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seeking South Africa and South America KVM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Seeking South Africa and South America KVM

jtkjtk Member

I'm looking for pointers to providers who might be able to offer a low end box in South Africa and South America (Chile or Brazil preferably), but it doesn't have the be the same provider for both locations. I'm interested in acquiring one KVM in each of those two regions. Detailed preferences:

• KVM
  • Debian 64-bit OS option
  • PayPal payment
  • 128 - 256 GB RAM
  • 5 - 20 GB HDD or SSD
  • 250+ GB monthly transfer
  • Public IPv4 address (no NAT)
  • $5 (US) / month, $50/year or less

I realize my budget may severely limits my options. In .za, Host on a Rope has the perfect offering with a WHT promotion, but unfortunately they ask you to email them a scanned copy of a government issued id, a billing statement and a PayPal screen shot. I appreciate their aggressive stance to prevent fraud, but ironically that places took great a risk and burden on this customer's privacy and anti-fraud protection so I have to politely decline to business with them.

oneprovider lists a .za host within budget, but they do not appear to have those systems currently available.

EDIS may be a reasonable option for .cl, but their smallest system only gives you 2 GB of disk and is still a little more than what I was hoping to spend.

Thank you,

jtk

Comments

• @Zappie is a decent host in South Africa, but they got no KVM (on their site) :( Ask them for a custom plan?

Disclaimer would be that you shouldn't expect the best network though, I get ~500-600ms ping on a node from a reseller, from my house in Singapore, SG.

• elgselgs Member

How about Host1plus?

• jtkjtk Member

@elgs said:
    How about Host1plus?

Virtualization there is OpenVZ.

• zevuszevus Member
    edited June 2016

I have the EDIS 5 euro KVM... Wouldn't recommend it, network is godawful slow. Didn't used to be like that year or two ago, but maybe they just have too many people that use their Chile location now, no clue.

Obv. the easiest place to find something decent would be Brazil, but after that, Panama is probably cheapest. (yah, it's central america, but... close enough? ed: and I guess it used to be in South America, when it was part of Columbia))

• fitvpnfitvpn Member

Most confused locations :)

• @jtk said:

@elgs said:
    How about Host1plus?

Virtualization there is OpenVZ.

And routing in host1plus and edis is horrible

• @zevus said:
    I have the EDIS 5 euro KVM... Wouldn't recommend it, network is godawful slow. Didn't used to be like that year or two ago, but maybe they just have too many people that use their Chile location now, no clue.

>

Obv. the easiest place to find something decent would be Brazil, but after that, Panama is probably cheapest. (yah, it's central america, but... close enough? ed: and I guess it used to be in South America, when it was part of Columbia))

Columbia?
    If you want to point out a country then it's Colombia.
    Sao Paolo should cover big parts of latam but not for host1plus prices…

• Pay attention to the routes, not just geographical location. If you have a server in Panama, the route may go to Miami first, then to Brazil, for example. I've seen this many times.

Thanked by 1elgs
  • zevuszevus Member

@ccarita said:
    Pay attention to the routes, not just geographical location. If you have a server in Panama, the route may go to Miami first, then to Brazil, for example. I've seen this many times.

true enough. i've not had experience with Panamanian hosts, so i wouldn't know which cough up the $ for good routing. I do know that as far as central america/south america go, that area is one of the cheapest, though.

I think Columbia may be like Argentina and Chile, where it's hard to get a line over 10Mbps.