Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated SuperValueWebServerBox Quiz
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated SuperValueWebServerBox Quiz

goexodusgoexodus Member
edited March 2013 in General

Recently my teenager son had a project to build a supercomputer with less than 1k$ which funny enough will probably use for a client. Might be great idea to build the ultimate value dedicated server for collocation.

Can someone guess the unixbench score and MOST important the unixbench/dollar?

Does someone have any other ideas?

Comments

• well you can build E3 1230 server from supermicro with ther case will cost you around $800

• goexodusgoexodus Member
    edited March 2013

well you can build E3 1230 server from supermicro with ther case will cost you around

Are you kidding me. We are talking 8x4x2.5Mhz over a RAMDRIVE

• Why do you call 'supercomputer' a thing which is just a casual server?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

8000?

• fislefisle Member

Supercomputer with less than $1000? 2.5MHz? I don't think you have a teenager son, I think you are one. Judging by your recent posts..

edited March 2013

Supercomputer with less than $1000? 2.5MHz? I don't think you have a teenager son, I think you are one. Judging by your recent posts..

We are not talking about CPU-GPU CUDA TFLOPS type of HW here but on how to use off the self used hardware to build the fastest web server conceivable under 1k$ that will make serverbear max score a laughing stock.

• @goexodus said: my teenager son had a project to build a supercomputer with less than 1k$

Who exactly assigned a project like this? His school? A competition?

edited March 2013

Why do you call 'supercomputer' a thing which is just a casual server?

You are right ... corrected

edited March 2013

Who exactly assigned a project like this? His school? A competition?

One of these science fair projects ,,,

• @fisle said: I don't think you have a teenager son, I think you are one.

+1

• @goexodus said: I am more than glad to compare my degrees, my bank account, my IQ tests and my .... with you dude whenever and wherever you want :)

The fact you are ready, willing and actually seem excited to compare anything with anyone in an online pissing match shows the true colors in itself. If you feel someone is trolling you, you just let it roll off and move on because it is just what they do.

Maturity is about letting the important stuff be dealt with and the small stuff roll off, that however has no age limit as to when it kicks in.