Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone using OpenStack?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone using OpenStack?

Like the title says - is anyone running OpenStack?

I've used things like VMWare / Proxmox before and I'm interested as to how this compares / if the feature set is much more advanced. I think i'm going to try install on one of my online.net boxes and give it a go.

Comments

• I haven't ran it myself, but I have looked into it. Compared to Proxmox I can only say that getting it set up seems to be more difficult and complex. Not really sure which VMware product you'd like to compare it to.

• RadWebHostingRadWebHosting Member, Host Rep

We are currently testing OpenStack on a small cluster. Look at integrating the Horizon GUI. We have enjoyed it thus far.

• intovpsintovps Member, Host Rep

We're evaluating OpenStack with Fleio as billing.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Not that hard to get up and running, especially without HA. However once it breaks, it breaks hard. Can't even be compared to debugging ovz/ plain kvm. We've tested it and currently run a node with openstack in the office, however at this point I prefer to avoid using it in production.

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • GigsGigsGigsGigs Member, Host Rep

OpenStack are very good cloud system . However configuration of it is never easy.
    From my opinion, the best part of OpenStack is the Object Storage that OpenStack can offer. This is the best point that not all other solution can offer.

However the minus point, other then not easy configuration, it only offer flat network setting. They did not offer vSwitch option that you can offer network to your customer .

You can also consider CloudStack for that , Setting up is much more easier . However minus point is not able to offering Object Storage as Openstack has.

If you willing to spend little of time, can combine of both CloudStack and OpenStack.

Happy Cloud.

• @GigsGigs said:
    OpenStack are very good cloud system . However configuration of it is never easy.
    However the minus point, other then not easy configuration, it only offer flat network setting. They did not offer vSwitch option that you can offer network to your customer .

You might want to have a look at openContrail for this, this is what CloudWatt (OBS) did

• intovpsintovps Member, Host Rep

OpenStack-ansible is a good way to deploy and maintain an OpenStack cloud.

Thanked by 1switsys

openContrail and Cloudwatt , seems not that popular ? Can give it a try also.

Ubuntu 16 has juju openstack also, however I still prefer setting up from scratch where have more raw understand of the system. Future troubleshooting is much easier

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited August 2016

Lunanode I believe uses OpenStack for their platform. @perennate could confirm that. Maybe he could offer some feedback that would be useful to you as well if that is the case?

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• Cloudvps.nl