Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SSD max temps
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SSD max temps

NihimNihim Member

I am afraid I am asking too many unrelated stuff in here but well...

Got a shuttle barebone full passive mini pc which is pretty awesome and all but with an ambient temp of 23c (29 outside) the msata samsung 850 evo 256GB works at 54-62 degrees celcius. The barebone is rated to work up to 40c degrees ambient. In the following months temps will raise up to 44c outside.

Contacted their support about it and they answered as always in a really professional way but there was something that just hit me as weird.
Context: I asked about that & I mentioned that SSDs usually have a max temp of 70 degrees - from what google said.

Shuttle - retyped text from phone:
" the ssd temp of 70c in the specificiation is the enviroment temperature. This means the SSD itself can still work on temperatures about 90c or above. Since the barebone is limited to 40c due to fanless design, your SSD will never or should never reach critical temperatures.

Additionally the SSD uses an internal Dynamic Therman Guard Algorith. In case of overheat the system will send a warning."

Is that true about the max 90 so I shouldn't worry?
I am asking here because outside of users there are multiple providers that use SSDs and even though in a DC there will never be that kind of temps - still they will have done their homework about them.

Comments

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

If your SSD reaches 99c the you have a bigger issue.

Thanked by 2doghouch zafouhar
  • NihimNihim Member

Of course. What I want to know is if I should be worried if it operates on 70, say 75 at worst scenario. Would that be acceptable or would it has exceeded it's max rated temp and it's either doing some kind of throtelling or just is plain getting fried.

• rds100rds100 Member

Your CPU will overheat before the SSD hits 75C.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • trvztrvz Member

I have an 850 Pro.

• NihimNihim Member

@rds100 said:
    Your CPU will overheat before the SSD hits 75C.

ssd 62 equaled cpu at 70 and it has a max of 105 (i5 5200U). But that's irrelevant?
    Basically what I am asking is at which temperature, of the SSD, should I be worried at.

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • rds100rds100 Member

In practice i don't know if the SSD would survice 70C or not, but if the ambient temperature is 44C or higher there is much more to worry about - like yourself. If the SSD fails, i assume it will be replaced under warranty. But humans don't function well at 44C and cannot be replaced.

• trvztrvz Member

My SSD is at 26 Celsius. Will it blend?

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited June 2016

@rds100 said:
    In practice i don't know if the SSD would survice 70C or not, but if the ambient temperature is 44C or higher there is much more to worry about - like yourself. If the SSD fails, i assume it will be replaced under warranty. But humans don't function well at 44C and cannot be replaced.

I have peltier cooling in my computer - stays at around 12 Celsius (the CPU, video card). The hard drives only have fans, but it's still relatively cool (20-30 Celsius).

• pcanpcan Member

According to the official datasheet from Samsung web site, the maximum operating temperature of 850EVO msata is 70 celsius. The operating temperature is the temperature of the drive itself. You must measure it with a thermocouple or a precision termal imaging camera - regular household or IR thermometers aren't suited for this application. If you measured a maximum temperature of 54-62 celsius while the external temperature is 23C, at 40C we can expect the drive to reach 71-79 degree. A slight increase of the airflow around the computer may be enough to lower the temperature at safe levels. But: the life of electrolytic capacitors is derated if they operate near or over 85 degrees celsius. A consumer-grade board is usually fitted with 3000-5000h capacitors, therefore you should not leave the passively cooled computer turned on at 100% cpu/gpu for extended period of time. To give you a reference, a typical industrial grade 10-20000h electrolitic capacitor (as used on enterprise UPS, ax example) may cost 10-20$. This is more than 10 times over the regular commercial grade capacitor. I don't expect to find it on a home PC power supply.

• NihimNihim Member

@rds100 said:

Yes that's quite funny but since at 23c the SSD works up to 62 it's not hard to imagine it can reach the 70 if the ambient reaches 27c ? something that can happen.
    So the question still remains if it does reach close to 70 do I get worried or not.

• NihimNihim Member
    edited June 2016

@pcan said:

Yea. That's what originally confused me. The way their tech says it, he suggests that it is not the drives temp itself but of the enclosure it is in?
    That's what caused this thread.

The temps I get them from HW monitor - as accurate as they might be.

• samsungs 850 evo has this on their site:
    0 - 70 °C Operating Temperature

• awvnxawvnx Member
    edited June 2016

Have you seen benchmarks of Samsung's M.2 drives that thermally throttle themselves on heavy sustained write loads? Measured with an infrared thermometer, the chips actually do reach about 90 - 95C and write performance drops a lot.

Your 850 Evo should also thermally throttle itself. Unless you're maxing out on 500MB/s writes for a minute, you shouldn't see that behavior on real workloads (for desktop usage). I presume you won't be doing heavy video editting on your passively cooled PC.

I think you'll have no problems if the drive runs at 60C - 70C. The lifetime would be shortened compared to running at 40C, but it's kind of a crap shoot what the base lifetime even is.

• NihimNihim Member

@awvnx said:

Yea shuttle's tech also mentioned that (part of the quote). I have asked samsung to clarify what the limit really is, though it might take a while since samsung support forwarded me to hanaro and they replied on my ticket with an automated email about receiving my RMA request...

• NihimNihim Member

Samsung replied that I should use the magician to check the temperature and that 70 is the limit when in operation. They were as vague as possible.

So I am guessing will see how it goes. Might reduce the lifespan of the msata but doubt (hope) it will be noticeable.
    For the few days with extremely high temps - if that ever happens - again their Thermal guard throttling will keep them in control and even if from 550MB/s drops to 100MB/s that's good enough.