Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Teamviewer is (Possibly) hacked. Be careful. $1000+ has already been stolen from several users. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Teamviewer is (Possibly) hacked. Be careful. $1000+ has already been stolen from several users.

2»

Comments

• Jarry said: Never understood why someone is using 3rd party service for remote connection, when there are so many forks of VNC...

Closest thing to Remote Desktop that you can get on Windows (RDP is so much better than VNC by miles).

Thanked by 1netomx
  • BLUF - hit for $275 auto logout on windows would have prevented this instead off leaving pc logged in (i know....) My teamviewer username is my email address and TV pw was an old pw from email (i know x2).

Read this yesterday at noon, planned on changing pw upon returning home and did not. TV was running on my home pc, W10, without autolock. They logged in, opened my browser, navigated to ebay, bought 4x $50 itunes digital gift emailed to someone else, paid with paypal auto saved in ebay/chrome, bought 3x $25, sent to the same email address, logged into Amazon added $100 xbox digital gift card, but my aws account is autofilled in by chrome instead of my Amazon account.

This it's definitely a teamviewer attack, but not necessarily a teamviewer isssue.

$300 isn't much to me, but may impact others more, YMMV.

• HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@betatester said:

Damn, that sucks, man.
    Hopefully you can dispute the charges and get your money back, doesn't matter if it's a little or a lot, $300 shouldn't be thrown away like that.
    You can read some tips here:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/teamviewer/comments/4mbl84/tips_for_a_successful_paypal_dispute/

• Has anyone without a TV account reported being hacked?
    I use TV all the time but never felt the need to have a TV account.. It sucks having to mentally map the 9 diigit partner ID with each particular computer but creating a TV account just for that purpose seemed like a waste of time...

Or am I missing something?

• @HBAndrei said:

yeah, I'm taking it to the bank & disputing the charges all the way.

• labraxlabrax Member
    edited June 2016

never tried TV again since my highschool, idk y, i just don't like it since long ago.

for me anydesk is better and its free.

• edited June 2016

@labrax said:
    never tried TV again since my highschool, idk y, i just don't like it since long ago.

for me my anydesk is better and its free.

You went to high school? Wow. Did you skip English grammar and composition?

• labraxlabrax Member
    edited June 2016

@globalRegisters said:

well, english is my fourth language,

Nope, my HS is just teaching the basics, I blame myself for sucks at English.

at least i could watch some foreign movie without subtitle :).

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • edited June 2016

@labrax said:

@globalRegisters said:

well, english is my fourth language,

Nope, my HS is just teaching the basics, I blame myself for sucks at English.

at least i could watch some foreign movie without subtitle :).

For starters, I would just cut the "texting shorthand" and work on capitalization.

• madtbhmadtbh Member
    edited June 2016

@globalRegisters said:

@labrax said:

for me my anydesk is better and its free.

Thanked by 1raza19
  • JarryJarry Member

@Silvenga said:
    Closest thing to Remote Desktop that you can get on Windows (RDP is so much better than VNC by miles).

RDP hooks itself much deeper into OS. If anything, than Xserver/Xclient is better counterpart to RDP. VNC, TeamViewer, etc are more like simple desktop mirrors, transferring pure screen-bitmaps. The question was not "RDP or VNC", but "TeamViewer or VNC". And I gave one valid point: security. Logging in directly to VNC-server, without giving my creditentials to some 3rd party is (as we see now) much more secure...

BTW, do you know that VNC-trick of using your tablet (smartphone, notebook, other pc, etc) as 2nd monitor? Very nice feature too. Not sure if you can do it with TeamViewer or RDP though...

• Jarry said: Logging in directly to VNC-server, without giving my creditentials to some 3rd party is (as we see now) much more secure...

You don't have to give your PC credentials to TV. If running, TV can just take you to the login screen where you would manually enter your credentials. Chances are you will be using a direct connection too (since TV correctly implements UDP Nat punching, unlike VNC).

Have you seen the speed comparisons between VNC and TV? Some users report TV being seconds faster than VNC over slow networks. Not to mention things like native file transfers, clipboard synchronization, network sharing, audio device pass-through, etc. make TV much closer to RDP than to VNC.

Thanked by 1netomx