Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The words "internet" and "web" are no longer proper nouns
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

The words "internet" and "web" are no longer proper nouns

emgemg Veteran

Effective today (1 June 2016), the proper nouns "Internet" and "Web" have been downgraded to the ordinary nouns "internet" and "web", according to the newly updated AP Stylebook.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/internet-web-enjoy-final-day-proper-nouns/story?id=39508227

Frankly, I do not think that this is worthy of much discussion. I will follow the new convention for my technical papers, other documents, and posts on internet forums.

Thanked by 2Clouvider Ole_Juul

Comments

• LeeLee Veteran

emg said: Frankly, I do not think that this is worthy of much discussion.

Agreed.

• @Lee said:

Agreed.

/thread

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • Still, good to know! I often capitalised internet.

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran
    edited June 2016

The only difference is no caps lock, unless it's the beginning of the sentence?

• ATHKATHK Member

@Radi said:
    The only difference is no caps lock, unless it's the beginning of the sentence?

Pretty much.

• shammyshammy Member

And everybody else started using them as proper nouns years ago.

• @PremiumN said:

@Lee said:

Agreed.

/thread

Shame on you! You don't have the privileges to /thread, and you certainly don't have the right to tell our moderators/admins what to do. :D

• nepsneps Member

That's actually interesting. Remember when saying "World Wide Web" was actually a thing?

• elgselgs Member

I never thought web should be capitalized unless it's in the context of World Wide Web.

• neps said: That's actually interesting. Remember when saying "World Wide Web" was actually a thing?

5 years from now that'll be a meme... "Remember when World Wide Web was a thing?"

• dailydaily Member
    edited June 2016

Thank god you made a topic where people will do exactly that.

• fitvpnfitvpn Member

Someone show their stupidity

• emgemg Veteran

The intent was to share some helpful information, nothing more.

• jhjh Member

emg said: Frankly, I do not think that this is worthy of much discussion

Unless you're Reviewer 2 (who is definitely a proper noun)

• ATHKATHK Member

@neps said:
    That's actually interesting. Remember when saying "World Wide Web" was actually a thing?

Did you know saying WWW takes the same amount time as saying World Wide Web ?

Now you do, BAM!

"I'm out" - Jordan former NexHost owner.

• LeeLee Veteran

LET, a site where basic English is a struggle for 98% of members however a current trending topic is proper nouns.

Thanked by 2ihatetonyy Infinity
  • Lee said: LET, a site where basic English is a struggle for 98% of members however a current trending topic is proper nouns.

Nice to see, in fact. Language is a lifetime study. I've got a lot of reference material for English, but this thread actually inspired me to buy the AP Stylebook. Only $20 (used), including shipping, from Amazon.

• zahid2funhostzahid2funhost Member
    edited June 2016

"Internet" and "Web" will no longer be proper nouns, or so says the new edition of the comprehensive style and word usage manual, the Associated Press Stylebook.So PlZ real answer me?

• kerouackerouac Member
    edited June 2016

Who the f@@k is AP to regulate how I write shit? F@@k them.

This is the correct way to write Internete on the Web. So f@@k you as well.