Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostUS - 6 Month Review - Multiple Locations
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostUS - 6 Month Review - Multiple Locations

xaitmixaitmi Member
edited May 2016 in Reviews

I have a bunch of HostUs boxes I picked up over the past few months to replace my 10 Crissic yearly boxes. I have at least 1 box in each location.

Proof:

I host a couple of production sites on the boxes, all of which are backed up by my boxes at Ramnode.

Haven't experienced any downtime myself (anything greater than 2-3 minutes), (maybe a couple of times a month some high ping spikes / network blips but whoever is abusing the node gets shutdown by their anti-abuse scripts).

Support is always pretty quick, Andrew and Alex and the other staff always reply to my tickets within a timely manner. (I've opened around 6 in the past 6 months)

@AlexanderM is very active here which is great to see.

One recent event that made me really happy was having an on-going issue I had resolved.
What I really liked was how they handled the ticket, and how they kept me constantly informed with what they were doing, etc.

I had a very rare, strange issue, along with another member on this site, where our php-fpm process kept getting killed every couple of hours.

You can read more about it here: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/1661729/#Comment_1661729

I asked for help on LET and we came up with a script to combat the strange issue, but earlier this week it got out of hand, it was getting killed 50+ times a day so I reached out to @AlexanderM via PM here on LET and he said to open a ticket and then escalated it.

(Note: I PM'd Alexander on LET because the other user that was having the issue said he tried contacting support in the past and at the time they couldn't figure it out.)

After their investigation (1-2 hours) they found that the node was misconfigured and it resolved the issue.

I will be keeping all of these boxes and will probably buy more in the months to come.

HostUs is awesome, they run a great network and offer great services/support. Keep it up. :)

Comments

• WeikangWeikang Member

Actually I think their network isn't stable. Don't ask me why, I don't want to say that. Hehe.

• dailydaily Member

@Weikang said:
    Actually I think their network isn't stable. Don't ask me why, I don't want to say that. Hehe.

What does this even mean?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Weikang said: Actually I think their network isn't stable. Don't ask me why, I don't want to say that. Hehe.

Brain damage?

Thanked by 2zaecwxlp NancyVPS
  • WeikangWeikang Member

@Nekki said:

Weikang said: Actually I think their network isn't stable. Don't ask me why, I don't want to say that. Hehe.

Brain damage?

I don't want to argue with you. I have used their services and just give my opinion.

• dailydaily Member
    edited May 2016

@Weikang said:

@Nekki said:

Brain damage?

I don't want to argue with you. I have used their services and just give my opinion.

So we'll just ignore that you said anything. Thanks!

• WeikangWeikang Member

@dailymc said:

@Weikang said:

@Nekki said:

Brain damage?

So we'll just ignore that you said anything. Thanks!

Fine, no problem.

• tr1ckytr1cky Member
    edited May 2016

Fair enough, you are happy with hostus. But how can you say you had no downtime when hostus even admited to some downtime in different locations?

Do you monitor the servers?

I'm currently happy with hostus, but there were also times where the network wasn't that stable.

• xaitmixaitmi Member
    edited May 2016

@Weikang said:

@Nekki said:

Brain damage?

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, however, when making a public statement like that you need to be able to back it up with evidence / facts or your opinion isn't worth a dime.

One thing I will say however, is that Nixstats sometimes spams me with downtime notifications for one of my HostUS Atlanta in particular, but their false positives and my VPS is online fine.

Not sure why it occurs, I checked f/w logs as welI, disabled Nixstats downtime alerts on the box last night because it was really annoying.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Weikang said: I don't want to argue with you. I have used their services and just give my opinion.

Your opinion is that the network isn't stable, but you won't say why? Waste of time mate.

• jimaekjimaek Member

@xaitmi How do you monitor their VPS? I have network issues from time to time. A while ago it was every day.

• xaitmixaitmi Member

@jimaek said:
    @xaitmi How do you monitor their VPS? I have network issues from time to time. A while ago it was every day.

I run a monitoring script on one of my Ramnode boxes that monitors all my VPSs.

I also have Nixstats on a few of them as well.

Occasionally there is a network hiccup for 30 seconds - 2 minute but I figured it's just someone abusing the node or a network blip that resolves its self.

Happens very rarely, I have updated the OP.

• WeikangWeikang Member

@Nekki said:

Weikang said: I don't want to argue with you. I have used their services and just give my opinion.

Your opinion is that the network isn't stable, but you won't say why? Waste of time mate.

Hard to say. For example, their route to Asia, sometimes direct to Asia, sometimes through US. So I think it isn't stable.

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited May 2016

+1 ( being that other person )

Glad to see that problem resolved. Besides that small issue I have to agree hostus is delivering very decent performance at the given price tag. I'll definitely keep my box ;-)

• dailydaily Member
    edited May 2016

@Weikang said:

@Nekki said:

Hard to say. For example, their route to Asia, sometimes direct to Asia, sometimes through US. So I think it isn't stable.

I can't see how that was 'hard to say'.

• MadMad Member

It's always a pleasure to see such positive reviews and satistifed customers.

Keep it up guys! :)

• WeikangWeikang Member

@dailymc said:

@Weikang said:

@Nekki said:

For me, yes. Don't you think my English is very poor? This is really a sad thing.

• dailydaily Member

@Weikang said:

@dailymc said:

@Weikang said:

@Nekki said:

For me, yes. Don't you think my English is very poor? This is really a sad thing.

No, actually I would have been fooled into thinking English was your first language.

• WeikangWeikang Member

@dailymc said:

@Weikang said:

@dailymc said:

@Weikang said:

@Nekki said:

No, actually I would have been fooled into thinking English was your first language.

First language, are you kidding? My first language is Southern Fujian Dialect, second is Chinese. Or maybe I should say thank you.

• rokokrokok Member

Nice review, waiting timnboys vps review

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Hi everyone,

I would like to thank everyone for your feedback both positive and negative and thank you @xaitmi for this review.

I am always trying to improve everything at HostUS from the hardware, response times and most importantly the network.

This month (May) we have managed to drop the average response time to 1.05 hours just missing the one hour mark by 0.05 hours, and is a massive increase from last month being just over 2 hours.

This month (June) my primary focus will be the network, we have already took steps the last two weeks for the changes we have planned and we will be implementing them within a few weeks. We have had teething problems with our network in a few of our locations.

I'm glad you are having a positive experience with HostUS and I hope you continue to do so.

Excuse any types - typed on my phone 30,000 feet in the air with delta inflight wifi!

Alexander

• NdhaNdha Member

@rokok said:

Wut??

• xaitmixaitmi Member
    edited June 2016

@rokok said:

Lol that was so bad it's not even worth a review. Nothing positive to say.

He lost / corrupted / deleted entire nodes not once...or twice...but THREE times. Lol.

Everything I had to say about that was posted in the cest pit.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Been an @HostUS client for a few months and am a really happy client as well! :-)

Thanked by 1AlexanderM
  • I like HostUS quite a bunch - I'll admit I've had a couple really big problems with them due to their misconfigurations, DDoS attacks on their Singapore node that was quite prevalent in May, but it's been smooth sailing other than that. Support is responsive, which is always nice to see.

Thanked by 1AlexanderM
  • daviddavid Member

Which location do you think has the best network?

I also need to replace a Crissic sometime this month, and am thinking I'll go with one of these.

• xaitmixaitmi Member

@david said:

I also need to replace a Crissic sometime this month, and am thinking I'll go with one of these.

Washington and London imo

Thanked by 2tszilassi david
  • Good review bt not so useful for kiddos. Review is like neutral but helpful for trying Hostus service.

• @NancyVPS said:
    Good review bt not so useful for kiddos. Review is like neutral but helpful for trying Hostus service.

You have already crossed minimum requirements for posting offer.I am waiting for offer posts from NancyVPS.com...........

• @david said:

I have a VPS in Dallas 2 (with Psychz), network speed's awesome. Speedtest cli shows 900Mbps + down and 600Mbps + up, and using a Gigabit line in Vancouver, I can pull 550Mbps from my VPS.

Thanked by 1david
  • Interested to try their VPS on Singapore, but routing from my ISP is really bad. Latency 200ms from Telkom ID to Singapore :(
    Looks like reroute via LAX.

Hope they can fix it quickly. Their support very responsive though