Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VMWare VPS E5-1620 1GB 100GB 750GB
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VMWare VPS E5-1620 1GB 100GB 750GB

goexodusgoexodus Member
edited March 2013 in General

I have two hybrid SSD/HD E5 (EG4) servers with OVH Canada running VMWare ESXi 5.1 with available capacity and was wondering whether there is interest at the 7$ range. The specs could be fine tuned within reason. The VM kernel runs on 2xSSD the rest on 2x2TB SATA and can organize some kind of SSD cache to boost IOPS.

Keep in mind VMWare memory over commitment is excellent. Overselling cannot happen and will never happen as i need slack capacity. VM Appliances for almost everything ready to use. Can provide client reporting with available performance stats. Clear terms and conditions. Cancellation and refunds without a sweat.

Can also provide NAS space for backups, IPV6 and whatever OVH provides. Access via VMware client with proper permissions set per user and billing system via hostbill.

Just curious if there is any interest to start a little pet project.

Comments

• Are these gigabit?

• Yes, but outgoing is most likely capped to 200 Mbps.

• I'm interested. But wondering how many cores will the vps get? Is it possible to customize the geolocate other than us/ca?

• @wahyan said: Is it possible to customize the geolocate other than us/ca?

of course not, this is OVH

• @BronzeByte said: of course not, this is OVH

Not sure if sarcasm tags are needed here or not.

At least in their French datacentres, I know it's possible to geolocate to a fair number of countries.

• AsadAsad Member

@ElliotJ said: At least in their French datacentres, I know it's possible to geolocate to a fair number of countries.

Ya, that's right. My OVH BHS servers however are only limited to Canadian/US IPs.

• @ElliotJ said: Not sure if sarcasm tags are needed here or not.

it's not sarcasm

@AsahHaider said: My OVH BHS servers however are only limited to Canadian/US IPs.

exactly

• @BronzeByte said: exactly

Fair enough, I stand corrected!
    Genuinely didn't know it wasn't possible in BHS :(

• I'd be interested if it's got 4 cpu cores.

• Does this offer some sort of client management interface, or would I need to contact you to have a different OS installed?

• goexodusgoexodus Member
    edited March 2013

Does this offer some sort of client management interface, or would I need to contact you to have a different OS installed?

You will have direct access at your VM via VMWare client set with proper permissions and be able to upload whatever appliance you wish provided its legal. Actually in many cases you will not need to install anything. Just find the appliance at the marketplace for free, change the root and configure your toy.

edited March 2013

I'd be interested if it's got 4 cpu cores.

I have to investigate about the vCores. But keep in mind that VMWare does not behave well when you assign multiple vCores at multtiple VMs. You actually pay a penalty in that case. VMs dispatches vcores using a time slicing algorithm (fair approach), not an interrupt driven algorithm as is typically used to dispatch processes in a regular operating system. What this means in practice is that if you assign say 2 vcores to a guest, then 2 vcores must be AVAILABE AT SAME TIME before that guest can run at all.

The question in my mind is what kind of benchmarks i can provide with 1 core 2 threads plus SSD cache and 3.8Ghz in an absolute NON oversold E5 and most importantly how CONSISTENT MY BENCHMARKS are. One of the reason i came up with that idea is my bad experience with some VPS dudes here that advertish complete BS in terms of available resources. The problem with overselling is the erratic behaviour of the systems and the certainty of being banned as soon as you start use their resources.

The whole business model they have is that you will NOT use what you paid for.

edited March 2013

I'm interested. But wondering how many cores will the vps get? Is it possible to customize the geolocate other than us/ca?

If i can geolocate to my business addresses Bradenton Florida USA and in Vancouver BC CANADA otherwise i am not planning to have servers elsewhere. I have also few other dedicated servers in the US but they are on the budget side (e.g. 35$ - 55$) fully utilised.

I just plan to do that for the fun of it and for reducing my costs in my consulting projects.

edited March 2013

Yes, but outgoing is most likely capped to 200 Mbps

True but i can arrange 100Mb blocks on demand if needed. The good think about VMWare is how easy is to assign resources to independent VMs

• At least in their French datacentres, I know it's possible to geolocate to a fair number of countries.

Thats a good point. I have to check and get back on you...

• It is illegal to sell VMware virtual machines / use for multi-tenancy without becoming an Authorized VMware VSPP.

Starts at $5 per 1gig of vRam allocated and there is a $360/mo minimum.

• @Ionity said: Starts at $5 per 1gig of vRam

Where does it state this? In the other thread we were concinced they charge per CPU, but that's for vSphere 5, and that was one-time

edited March 2013

It is illegal to sell VMware virtual machines / use for multi-tenancy without becoming an Authorized VMware VSPP

I have to ask my vmware rep.

But you might be right. I still remember the shock few years back when they changed their licence model when v5 introduced and tripled 300% their cut!! I almost threw the rep out of the window that day ...