Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Setting Up Automatic Unattended Updates in Ubuntu
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Setting Up Automatic Unattended Updates in Ubuntu

LeoGLeoG Member

This is a handy feature which let's you setup automatic updates especially Security Updates. The Complete Guide is at https://github.com/Leo-G/DevopsWiki/wiki/Ubuntu-Debian-Unattended-Updates, let me know if you have any questions

Thanked by 1yomero

Comments

• FalzoFalzo Member

you should have posted that small guide in full here.
    this way your post is nothing more then spamming your github url...

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited May 2016

Automating updates?

cd /etc/init.d && nano updates.sh

In updates.sh enter the following:

apt-get -y update && apt-get -y upgrade

Depending on your preferences you can include instable updates or stick to stable updates. You also could include apt-get -y dist-update/upgrade.

Now save&exit nano file.

chmod +x updates.sh

...and you are done. Will update/upgrade at reboot of your machine. If you want to specifiy update times you could do something similar via cron.

• LeoGLeoG Member

@Ympker said:
    Automating updates?

cd /etc/init.d && nano updates.sh

In updates.sh enter the following:

apt-get -y update && apt-get -y upgrade

Depending on your preferences you can include instable updates or stick to stable updates. You also could include apt-get -y dist-update/upgrade.

Now save&exit nano file.

chmod +x updates.sh

...and you are done. Will update/upgrade at reboot of your machine. If you want to specifiy update times you could do something similar via cron.

I feel much more comfortable with the way recommended by the distro, plus it let's me select the type of updates, reboot time and I can configure email notifications.

Why write a script when all that is already available?