Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vscale now in Moscow
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Vscale now in Moscow

bersybersy Member
edited May 2016 in Providers

A new Russian Vscale location has been launched this week.

Since there is a vStoike thread out here, I venture to create vScale one too.

vStoike is more like ordinary, but reliable VPS, while Vscale is kind of a "cloud". Both of them are well known Russian providers with their own data centers in our community. As for domestic market, Vscale is more popular and widely promoted with Russian customers as far as I can see, though the project was launched less than a year ago.

Vscale is a project of well-know company Selectel, the CEO is Lev Leviev - a former partner of Pavel Durov who was a founder of one of the most visited website in Russia (top 3) - social network VKontakte. Selectel was primarily created for VKontakte, one of their co-founders is Vyacheslav Mirilashvili, according to some reports, one of the youngest Russian US dollars billionaire and the son of well-known Russian criminal. Anyway they operate 6 data centers, one of them is in Moscow and located on Berzarina street. Vscale are based on a new Berzarina #2 server farm located in the same building, LG is here (Москва, Берзарина, 36, #2).

The price start from 200 rubles for 512MB KVM VPS, equivalent to $3 at this moment. You are fully charged even when instances are off, and there is still no snapshot feature as well as IPv6 support. There is an API and some additional modules developed by Vscale team. They utilize Intel E5V3 processors. They claim all servers are on Gigabit network, though it looks more like 100 Mbit (the same as the majority of Russian providers do).

That's a quick bench of their Moscow location:

Location                Provider        Speed
CDN                     Cachefly        9.06MB/s

Atlanta, GA, US         Coloat          10.8MB/s
Dallas, TX, US          Softlayer       9.61MB/s
Seattle, WA, US         Softlayer       8.39MB/s
San Jose, CA, US        Softlayer       8.43MB/s
Washington, DC, US      Softlayer       12.3MB/s

Tokyo, Japan            Linode          5.35MB/s
Singapore               Softlayer       6.83MB/s

Rotterdam, Netherlands  id3.net         21.7MB/s
Haarlem, Netherlands    Leaseweb        2.47MB/s

Disk Speed
----------
I/O (1st run)   : 353 MB/s
I/O (2nd run)   : 339 MB/s
I/O (3rd run)   : 337 MB/s
Average I/O     : 343 MB/s

A customer using any refferal link to sign up gets 400 credits, link owner will be credited 400 for each referral who spends 400 from their main balance (all credits may only be used to pay for Vscale services). So if you need it, that's my refferal linkNyr's one.

There is also a promo code "SCALET200" for those who want to test Vscale, it gives you 200 credits, equivalent to 200 Russian rubles.

Thanked by 1ehab

Comments

• bersybersy Member

Hi, @rm_ @fitvpn, what do you know about them? Have you ever used them? Share your thoughts with us please.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited May 2016

It was to be expected since they already had datacenters there.

vScale is very nice and reliable for the region, I've been using them for years.

Test IP for SPB: 95.213.237.1
    Test IP for MSK: 185.143.172.1

Referal link for the 400 RUB promo.

Thanked by 1bersy
  • jimaekjimaek Member

I am using Vscale and just purchased a second VPS in Moscow. The interface and functionality are very similar to DigitalOcean.

No problems so far.

• bersybersy Member
    edited May 2016

I personally think there is a lack of snapshot feature now.

Nyr said: Referal link for the 400 RUB promo.

I've just added your as well as mine one in initial post, if there are no any objections.

• fitvpnfitvpn Member

bersy said: Hi, @rm_ @fitvpn, what do you know about them? Have you ever used them? Share your thoughts with us

please.

So far so good, not the best but just good. Create, delete and keep money like DO does. Traffic 1 Tb per month just rude for Russian hosting where 95 % offer unmetered BW

• TheCTSTheCTS Member

The network is capped at 100mbps, but you got 21.7MB/s down from id3?

• fitvpnfitvpn Member

TheCTS said: The network is capped at 100mbps

Basically RU hosting providers have 1Gbps uplink, but end user cannot get more than 100Mbps or less

Thanked by 1bersy
  • bersybersy Member
    edited May 2016

A link to their LG (Moscow) has just been added.

TheCTS said: The network is capped at 100mbps, but you got 21.7MB/s down from id3?

Seems you are right here. Since I'm not a native English speaker and my skills are fairly bad, "capped" might be the wrong word, sorry about that. What term should be used in this particular case?

fitvpn said: Traffic 1 Tb per month just rude for Russian hosting where 95 % offer unmetered BW

Yeah, but I do personally prefer 1TB at 1Gbps than 10-100 Mbit unmetered, it all depends on intended purpose after all.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2016

bersy said: Hi, @rm_ @fitvpn, what do you know about them? Have you ever used them?

I have experience using VStoike, great performance and no problems whatsoever, but have never tried Vscale.

Nyr said: Test IP for MSK: 185.143.172.1

Seems like from ER-Telecom (a top-3 Russian home broadband ISP) this is routed via St.Petersburg first anyway. I'm getting 50ms ping to them, whereas my normal ping to Moscow is 25-30ms.

Thanked by 1bersy
  • fitvpnfitvpn Member
    edited May 2016

There another similar provider, same prices, Xen with unlimited BW DDoS protected

https://hexcore.ru/

• bersybersy Member
    edited May 2016

fitvpn said: There another similar provider, same prices, Xen with unlimited trahttps://hexcore.ru/ffic DDos protected

How long have they been in business? Seems they have just started. All information I've managed to find on them are their spam-like self-promotional clumsy posts on a couple of known Russian websites like Toster, Habrahabr and already mentioned VK. So I would not say that is a similar to Vscale/Selectel level provider in any way.

• fitvpnfitvpn Member

bersy said: How long have they been in business?

Ask them trough live chat :) This is legal company.

• rokokrokok Member

It's amazing, their main site hosted on Digital Ocean :)

• fitvpnfitvpn Member

rokok said: their main site hosted on Digital Ocean :)

Guess they prefer not to have all eggs in one place :) They offer 3 days free trial before buy,can drop easy if not satisfied.

• Nice ping times from Finland: 39,8 ms to MSK and 42,0 ms to SPB.

• bersybersy Member
    edited September 2016

They have finally added a snapshot feature, it's free while it's in beta.

Thanked by 1JohnShell
  • @bersy said:
    They have finally added a snapshot feature.

What about their network speed, is it the same ?

• bersybersy Member
    edited September 2016

@JohnShell Yep, the speed remained the same - no more than 100 Mbit in most cases. That's what the majority of Russian hosting providers offer.

• Thanks for the info ....

• bersybersy Member
    edited September 2016

Beta period will end on 20th September. Prices for snapshots depending on disk space are given below.

20GB - ₽40 or $0.6 per month
    30GB - ₽60 or $0.9 per month
    40GB - ₽80 or $1.2 per month
    60GB - ₽110 or $1.7 per month
    80GB - ₽160 or $2.5 per month