Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LXC or OpenVZ (for a personal test box)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LXC or OpenVZ (for a personal test box)

mpkossenmpkossen Member
edited March 2013 in General

I'm considering LXC rather than OpenVZ for my personal test box. OpenVZ runs on quite and old kernel and if I don't want to use something like Proxmox, I'm pretty much doomed to use CentOS (while I'm an Ubuntu-guy). LXC, however, is in the mainline kernel and it's incredibly easy to install (and get your first box running). It also runs very well on Ubuntu.

I basically use the test box for three things:

• Creating an instance, installing software on it, then destroying the instance (like when I write a tutorial/documentation and I need to double check)
  • Creating one or more instances that will run longer: testing software, interaction between software on different machine, a small Mumble server (for example), stuff like that
  • Playing with different OS-es

I don't mind having no control panel and having to work the CLI. I don't intend on giving anybody besides myself access to the machine.

My question is: what would you guys advise me to use and why? Does any of you have experience running LXC? Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• hyaohyao Member

I use lxc on Ubuntu 12.04 and it works pretty well. The first installation involves downloading base images and thus is slower, but afterwards (if you're using the same lxc template/distro) creating lxc instances is very fast.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

@mpkossen i'd suggest you go for openvz. It is a well known product, and if you ever face problems there are many people who can assist.

• I use 2.6.32-5-openvz-686 on Debian squeeze myself. Works well enough for testing purposes.

• Just run Proxmox, runs on debian and has nice GUI for testing etc

• The reasons you give above mostly answer your own question. If you want to go for LXC, then do that. If you walk in to problems, it is easy to switch to OpenVZ because OpenVZ is more widely known than LXC. And, you can use Proxmox for OpenVZ (which runs on debian).

LXC is fairly new compared to OpenVZ, but both offer what you want. And, as said, you give the reasons why you want to use LXC (old kernel etc.). So, try which works best for you.

• KeithKeith Member

I've just started running LXC on Debian Wheezy on my desktop.
    Not using OpenVZ because it has been deprecated with Wheezy
    http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html#deprecated

• @Keith said: Not using OpenVZ because it has been deprecated with Wheezy

The end of OpenVZ!? :p

• @mpkossen said: - Playing with different OS-es

Get a Proxmox. You can't play with different OS-es on OS-level virtualization (which both LXC and OpenVZ are). Unless you mean various linux distros, you'll need KVM/Xen for that. And Proxmox supports both OpenVZ and KVM.
    Besides it's very easy to setup and run. Debian-based. Comes with a nice web-intraface. We use it for production @ work and it's been great so far.

• lbftlbft Member

@concerto49 said: The end of OpenVZ!? :p

No, just the end of Debian providing OpenVZ kernel packages. Which is such a shame for all three people using them.

• @nstorm said: Unless you mean various linux distros

Yeah, sorry, that's what I mean :) In a certain way distros are so different nowadays I tend to see them as different OS, even though they are not.

• @lbft said: No, just the end of Debian providing OpenVZ kernel packages. Which is such a shame for all three people using them.

Just when I thought we'd move on to something new and fun :(

• @lbft said: No, just the end of Debian providing OpenVZ kernel packages. Which is such a shame for all three people using them.

Which are probably the three wisest people around here for running Debian instead of CentOS ;)

flamewar