Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What makes a better VPS host?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What makes a better VPS host?

HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider
edited March 2013 in Providers

This has probably been posted before, but I wanted some input on what makes a better VPS host so that I can improve on my host. Im looking for constructive criticism. If there are other threads like this feel free to link them.

Sorry if this is in the wrong category by the way.

Comments

• I would say that the market is getting to the point where you need to differentiate yourself somehow. Anyone, as we've seen lately, can buy a dedicated server and start offering VMs. Concentrate on a specific focus.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

The domain bettervps.com :P
    I already put bettervps.net out of business. lol.

• NHRoelNHRoel Member
    edited March 2013

@shovenose said: bettervps.com

Having a fency domain and relying on that trying to capture traffic of people who are really unware of providers true skill set and praying on them doesn't make anyone a better host.

@Hassan Just try to do something better. Something that you think your competitor is lacking.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited March 2013

A "better" VPS host is one who does it because hosting is what they want to do, not because they think it's a quick way to make a buck by just implementing automation and letting it handle itself. A "better" host actively cares about their services and clients.

This describes quite a few hosts here, and also insults quite a few that wouldn't dare admit it.

• NHRoelNHRoel Member
    edited March 2013

Automation is automated by a handful of geek who works day and night to make sure those automation are doing what they are supposed to. Am I not right @Jarland

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited March 2013

@NHRoel Automation is great at times, but I am referring to how easy it is to simply install SolusVM & WHMCS and let auto provisioning take care of itself, only checking in on things when someone has the nerve to bother you with a ticket. Absolutely 0 knowledge required.

• @jarland said: A "better" host actively cares about their services and clients.

Could not have said it any better myself.

• @Jarland You still need to do some work with solusvm. But look at cpanel hosts. Damn mighty Jesus. Half of the ovz providers will die if Solus breaks.

• edited March 2013

Interested in entering the market?

More than likely you are going to:

Choose a datacenter or server provider that offers the same service to you as they do multiple other VPS providers.
    You're probably going to use SolusVM, just like everyone and their brother. Billing? WHMCS.

So, you're already on the same network utilizing very similar (if not identical) machines as other providers, using the same support/billing software offering OpenVZ virtual servers and giving your clients access to SolusVM.

In that regards, not a whole lot differs from 'Provider A' and 'Provider B'.

But you can still be a better provider, by simply offering stellar support and maintaining a quality service. Easier said than done sometimes. Many things have to be taken into consideration to prevent deadpooling in less than a year.

And in all honesty, if I were to start a new provider today, I wouldn't aim for the LEB market. I'd much rather support a smaller client base of higher paying clients than a large client base of lower paying clients. Think about it.

• MunMun Member

Telling your customers that you have had your database stolen and admit that they will need to recreate all there root passwords....

• @Mun said: -Telling your customers that their passwords are bad and recreate all their root passwords....

FTFY

• a better host is the one who is honest, smart, committed to customers, and plans to stay/exists for a very long time.

• a better host is the one who is honest, smart, committed to customers, and plans to stay/exists for a very long time.

Exactly. Support is the key to building long term relationships and reputation. Downtime/problems are expected, how a company deals with it is more important than the problem itself.

• Personally, if you want to offer better VPSes, personally I think you should get some intel servers that can do SATA3 speeds, get a few SSDs and offer cheap SSD servers.

• Step back and be your own customer. Do you like what you see?

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

You know, noone in the right mind would share you "his secrets" and we all have them. It is a competitive market and the only thing you would get out of this thread is "offer something different", which is something really important as well, however there are a bunch of things that other providers would not even consider sharing. :)

• You could pull a ChicagoVPS and oversell.

• Trust.

Based on my personal experiences, trust is a huge factor in deciding which provider I choose.
    It doesn't take long to realise that pricing (especially when everything is dirt cheap) doesn't matter so much, nor the specs to a certain extent, but trusting someone with your information, to me at least, is a bit more important.

How trust is formed is an odd art, but I'd make notes on how @Damian and @Jarland in particular interact with the community here.
    They genuinely are committed and don't try to bullshit anyone; something I in particular appreciate.

That said, don't take what I say too seriously. I presume that the majority of people who purchase LEBs don't post on here for several reasons (not interested/not native language, etc.) so it'd be a tad inappropriate to generalise.

• What makes me a good VPS host?

If I were a bad VPS, I wouldn't be sittin' here, discussin' it with you now would I?

• @ElliotJ said: Trust.

Based on my personal experiences, trust is a huge factor in deciding which provider I choose.

It doesn't take long to realise that pricing (especially when everything is dirt cheap) doesn't matter so much, nor the specs to a certain extent, but trusting someone with your information, to me at least, is a bit more important.

How trust is formed is an odd art, but I'd make notes on how @Damian and @Jarland in particular interact with the community here.

They genuinely are committed and don't try to bullshit anyone; something I in particular appreciate.

That said, don't take what I say too seriously. I presume that the majority of people who purchase LEBs don't post on here for several reasons (not interested/not native language, etc.) so it'd be a tad inappropriate to generalise.

Well said very well said. As you can see I do not post very much around here. I have my reasons for this, but it also allows me to see how others interact. I watch the people here come and go, I know it can seem a bit creepy but it is not really, and I see the same mistakes over and over again.

No matter what any one else thinks providers are people as well. They do have opinions and they do have their ways of doing things away from their business. Some people can not see that just because some one may be opinionated about something it has nothing to do with how they run their business.

Now to the providers I realize you are people as well but if you run a business you must try to hold yourself to a certain level of professionalism when dealing with the community. Even as just an ordinary person. The reason I say this is you may the first representative of your company some one sees, and you may not want a bad impression from the start.

I will give you an example of what I am trying say. This site is indexed by Google big time and we all know it. I have seen some providers using foul language on here and I do not feel it is right. If I did a search looking for hosting and came across that single post from that provider with that language in it then no I would not buy from them. If you use that kind of language to express yourself when upset for anything then how would you treat a customer when you get upset at him? That is what I would be thinking.

I am not trying to be pushy or anything and I am just telling you what I have seen. It is just my two cents take it or leave it. Either way everyone should have a good day/night. :)

• erhwegesrgsrerhwegesrgsr Member
    edited March 2013

@AuroraZ said: If you use that kind of language to express yourself when upset for anything then how would you treat a customer when you get upset at him?

Here's a golden advice to hosts: only answer questions and doubts (facts don't need your opinion added)

And just shutting up frequently helps, and think before you post

• HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

I guess I'm going to have to think of ways to make my services different. Maybe not just SSD VPS, but something else to differentiate ReverseHosts from any other OVZ host.

Also a lot of you are mentioning that everybody uses SolusVM. I use SolusVM because its what most clients are used too, however I have been looking into vePortal as an alternative.

@jarland said: A "better" VPS host is one who does it because hosting is what they want to do, not because they think it's a quick way to make a buck by just implementing automation and letting it handle itself. A "better" host actively cares about their services and clients.

I agree with you on this. I didn't get into this because of the money, I started it because I wanted too. It probably sounds crazy to some people here but I actually like the low end community.

@Alex_LiquidHost said: You know, noone in the right mind would share you "his secrets" and we all have them. It is a competitive market and the only thing you would get out of this thread is "offer something different", which is something really important as well, however there are a bunch of things that other providers would not even consider sharing. :)

Yeah you're right on that, I was just hoping to get some general tip's.

@ElliotJ said: Trust.

I actually agree that trust is a huge factor. If I was searching my "ReverseHosts" on Google I wouldn't want the third link down being a post of me talking about how "stupid and annoying" a client is.

Sorry if I didn't reply to you. Replied to as much as I could at the moment.

• bobbybobby Member

Not posting (stupid) questions here like some "hosts" do.

• LeeLee Veteran

Wanting to be a "better" host implies you know/think something is wrong? What is it you could improve on?

Customer perception is always your target, it's the only way you will win their business. If I want a UK VPS I have a a lot to choose from, even more in the US and so on. Yes they all use SolusVM, WHMCS and so on. But there is no reason to be different here, customers like familiarity just in the same way most opt for cPanel.

For me personally as a customer I look for interaction from the host to see how they deal with people, their viewpoint and how others react towards them and then find reviews. If I can't evidence any of those steps then I don't buy, simple as. Yes that means new hosts don't get the opportunity but to be fair, on LET there are too many failed before they start projects. I call them projects because business does not come into it for many.

The market is so saturated with the same offers that customer choice is so good and prices are cheap that you can move to another if you feel unhappy. So you need to show both from a service perspective and your public interactions that you are the right choice to go with and stay there.

Until you get beyond the point of general acceptance of being a reliable go to host you need to work hard at gaining general acceptance, more so on this site.

• ztecztec Member

It's probably smarter to provide hosting towards a couple of apps so you can specialize in supporting those apps and make sure your servers are optimized to the max for these apps. This way you will be the best in THAT market and you'll be worth the extra bucks.

• @Hassan network redundancy, features, or just general stability .. and good images imho

• Good support
    • Knowledgeable staff
    • Good network
    • Reliability
  • @GIANT_CRAB said: If I were a bad VPS, I wouldn't be sittin' here, discussin' it with you now would I?

Except you aren't really discussing or answering the question.

• HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

I would just like to say that I know OpenVZ extensively and I don't rely on SolusVM for anything other then client ease of use/familiarity.

• goexodusgoexodus Member
    edited March 2013

Avoid markets that the barriers to entry are non existent and the margins as thin as can get. Even my teenager son with 2k can start such a VPS business ...

Try as the wise MannDude said to sell customized services on few good paying customers. You will be amazed what little differentiation can do ...

But if you want direct answer i will say for existing customer ... consistent performance ... which means monitoring your servers like a hawk ... and terminate anyone over abusing the system almost automatically ... and to attrack customers ... you have to BS ... 4GB/8core/10T the kind of think ....