Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

5400 rpm hard drive on a nowadays xeon dedicated server.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

5400 rpm hard drive on a nowadays xeon dedicated server.

IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Hello,

To be honest i am thinking about the server config of our next server promo but that's not the point.

I'd really like to know your opinion on a lowend dedicated server with big disks but spinning at 5400 rpm.

Considering the use of the server for exemple a storage server does it really matters ?

What is your thoughts ?

Thanked by 1korobkov

Comments

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited May 2016

Just put SSDs instead. 120GB SSDs are not that expensive nowadays.

• FalzoFalzo Member

as you already wrote, simply depends on what group of customers you are aiming for. to me it wouldn't bother much if it is for storage/backup and price is reasonable.

Thanked by 1Ikoula
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

If you mean a 2TB or 2x2TB disks for a storage server, then it's absolutely fine, as long as the final price is right. For stuff like backups or even a personal media server it won't matter if it's 7200 or 5400 RPM.

• rds100rds100 Member

Yes, but burning the power of a Xeon for simple storage / backup makes no sense. For storage/backup a low power CPU can be used. Xeon is for high performance, and for high performance a laptop drive is not good.

Thanked by 2Pwner coreflux
  • albertdbalbertdb Member
    edited May 2016

@rds100 said:
    Yes, but burning the power of a Xeon for simple storage / backup makes no sense. For storage/backup a low power CPU can be used. Xeon is for high performance, and for high performance a laptop drive is not good.

Xeon D-1521 ?

Thanked by 1emre22
  • Xeon E3 series?

• Xeon E7?

• ATHKATHK Member

Lowend Xeon

Thanked by 1netomx
  • albertdbalbertdb Member
    edited May 2016

@budi1413 said:
    Xeon E7?

Quad or Octo E7-8891V3, obviously.

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep
    Thanked by 2ATHK netomx
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Ikoula said: xeon 3000

Honestly? If the price is right, no one in this forum will care, specially for this old CPU.

Thanked by 2Ikoula Nekki
  • ARiEWWWARiEWWW Member

Intel® Xeon® Processor 3000 ? I guess the '08 L3014 due 30W instead of 50W TDP? With some WD greens on 5400 rpm? Single core restrict the usage, but how many memory are you planning to put in? I just buy everything that's cheap and many with me but they aren't that open about it :)

• popuorgpopuorg Member

@Ikoula what budget will it be? ETA for delivery?

• cochoncochon Member

Currently using your first promo (1TB greenfish) mostly for storage, that could have had a 5400 disk with no practical impact on my usage. The atom processor in that is a bit limiting, so a server with a dual (or quad?) Conroe core and more capacity would be very interesting.

• fitvpnfitvpn Member

Add Celeron 450 CPU and done :)

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

or a nice cheap G3258 haswell

• @TarZZ92 said:
    or a nice cheap G3258 haswell

surprised I haven't seen these chips in any low end dedis.

are any important instruction sets missing?
    vt-x probably.

@ARiEWWW minimum 4Gb

@popuorg I can't tell now the budget as it is not defined yet.

The servers will be pre-build, so ETA will be short once the offer will start.

• awvnxawvnx Member
    edited May 2016

WD Reds are 5400rpm and are pretty cheap, but they still have pretty good sequential transfer speeds on par with 7200rpm. They're great for archiving and storage of photos/videos without a lot of concurrent reads. Most workloads are random read/writes and dependent on seek performance though, which is going to be proportionally slower.

• FalzoFalzo Member

I am gladly looking forward @ikoula to beat hetzner and online.net pricing with 2x4TB at not more than 30 € p.m. ^^

Thanked by 1hawkjohn7
  • fanfan Veteran

I'll be okay with these drives as long as they make your new offer as good as the greenfish ones xD.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

vimalware said: are any important instruction sets missing?

it has VT-X

picture it as a 4790K with 2 cores and a few extensions missing (one being AES-NI) the single thread performance on this when overclocked to 3.8Ghz+ performs just like a 4790k for single thread tasks

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

You can pick up a 240GB SSD for under $40-50 now days if you look in the right places.. Almost cheaper than a new 1TB 7.2K RPM.

• DamianDamian Member
    edited May 2016

Severe overkill. I've been using SoC ITX boards with Celeron N3150 and they're more than adequate, specifically: http://www.amazon.com/Asus-Motherboard-Mini-DDR3-N3150I-C/dp/B0167OVET8

I use them in several systems for the archival of Linux ISOs and they do fine:

They should do fine with your storage setup. With 4gb of RAM, 64gb SSD, and a 1TB HD, they draw about 15-20 watts continuous on 120v power.

• msg7086msg7086 Member

@Damian said:
    Severe overkill. I've been using SoC ITX boards with Celeron N3150

N3150 is an overkill as it's too expensive and you have to find a case to fit it on the rack. I'd rather use a cheap Dell R310 which is 4x faster & Xeon & ECC and only cost ~$150 for the whole rack server. Just my 0.02.

Thanked by 1coreflux
  • rds100rds100 Member

msg7086 said: I'd rather use a cheap Dell R310 which is 4x faster & Xeon & ECC and only cost ~$150 for the whole rack server. Just my 0.02.

Depends on the power cost though. There is a reason why you don't see those old Xeon offers everywhere.

• mik997mik997 Member

@Ikoula said:
    Hello,

so long as they're SATA 3 and transfer rate >128MB/s then I can't see any reason not to use for storage server

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

In order to decide this one, its really dependent on how many people are going to be on the server using thr 5400 rpm drives. Personally I do notice the slow down when I used 5400 rpm drives on my personal computer and obviously that is a whole different scenario than what you need them for. Maybe if the price is really profitable for you to go 5400, you could set up your server in such a way that not too mannly users hit each of those drives and perhaps add one or 2 more 5400 rpm drives and allocate them accordingly. I dont know if I agree with the rest of guys that the xeon is over kill because I have seen providers offer high storage servers which are end up being used as normal vps servers with directadmin or cpanel. You might end up needing a good grade cpu to handle the customers. But again, everything is entirely up to the customers you are catering for. I'd rather have a little more headroom than a little less headroom and cant upgrade.

It will be a lowend price :)

Thank you everyone for participating

The offer is coming in june, i'll let you know as soon as i know.

• kerouackerouac Member

5400rpm disks are a bottleneck in my laptop, I'm sure they suck on a server