Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wordpress and Apache Slowness
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Wordpress and Apache Slowness

Any suggestions on using a Shared provider and slow wordpress issues? I think its slow due to Apache (not sure) but it happens with every single provider I test. I like to use cPanel for my simple sites for more security and simpleness. But Page loads etc suck! I've probably tested 5 different providers bestwebhosting, hostmantis, and a few others. I will say bestwebhosting UK has been one of the best support wise but every provider I've tried has been apache and no Nginx.. When running Wordpress with Nginx on my SYS server it runs wonderfully.

Like bestwebhosting UK there not a slow host, regular HTML pages load awesomely along with speeds are fine.

Any tips? Besides telling me to get a VPS which I do not want.

Comments

• I'm running wordpress sites on cpanel/apache, looks good to me :)

• @hyelton said:

Try a dedi :P

Jokes aside, have you tried any of those using LSWS? And have you optimized the WordPress install? Or try one of those so called managed WordPress hosting solutions if you are that rich and lazy.

Thanked by 1HuntersPad
  • HuntersPadHuntersPad Member
    edited May 2016

@TheOnlyDK said:

@hyelton said:

Try a dedi :P

Jokes aside, have you tried any of those using LSWS? And have you optimized the WordPress install? Or try one of those so called managed WordPress hosting solutions if you are that rich and lazy.

Yes I have currently LSWS now but no improvement. Those managed WordPress hosting solutions are such a rip off haha.. I'd just deal with VestaCP on my spare VPS before that. Guess Im gonna be stuck with using my dedicated server for it and stop spending to much time on getting it to work well with cPanel.

• @century1stop said:
    I'm running wordpress sites on cpanel/apache, looks good to me :)

Apache on cPanel, Plesk, and Webuzo runs like crap haha. Turn on Nginx on Webuzo and Plesk and a loaded down WP blog loads instantly.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

If your Wordpress is slow everywhere you carry it to, might I suggest that the most common variable is your Wordpress. WooCommerce? Crappy configuration of W3 Total Cache? 30+ plugins? Poorly coded theme with uncompressed images?

Thanked by 1impossiblystupid
  • fazarfazar Member

try to disable all plugins and use default theme (such as twenty eleven, etc). if you notice loading time was improved, then plugins/themes might caused your wp slowlyness.

• HuntersPadHuntersPad Member
    edited May 2016

@jarland said:
    If your Wordpress is slow everywhere you carry it to, might I suggest that the most common variable is your Wordpress. WooCommerce? Crappy configuration of W3 Total Cache? 30+ plugins? Poorly coded theme with uncompressed images?

Nope... far from it. Simple Gym Website with 5 plugins. Font, Disabled comments, Image gallery, WP Statistics, and WP Smush. Only just a few pages in size..

Also its not slow everywhere. Runs just fine on a VPS or dedi on Nginx.

• fazar said: ns and use default theme (such as twenty eleven,

@fazar said:
    try to disable all plugins and use default theme (such as twenty eleven, etc). if you notice loading time was improved, then plugins/themes might caused your wp slowlyness.

Thing about that, Sluggish on a FRESH copy of WordPress with nothing extra installed or posted.

The slowness affects even access to the WP control panel etc not just the site itself.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

hyelton said: Nope... far from it. Simple Gym Website with 5 plugins. Font, Disabled comments, Image gallery, WP Statistics, and WP Smush. Only just a few pages in size..

If you're certain it's well optimized, try buyshared. Here's a Wordpress site on their shared hosting:

Thanked by 1HuntersPad
  • Jarland is right, you just need to find the right provider. I run a few Wordpress sites on Apache on a shared server and everything works fine. Four of the sites get close to 200K pageviews each per month and it is all done on Apache.

• Smart Hosting UK is one of the fastest hosts I have ever dealt with. I have quite a few WordPress sites running on the Shared Hosting Platform and they are very fast to load.

Have you asked them to try and tweak a few PHP settings for WordPress? Also, is your WordPress install fully updated to the latest release?

• FalzoFalzo Member

Might want to tell your budget and preferred location for this?

• AbdussamadAbdussamad Member
    edited May 2016

This is not an Apache vs. Nginx situation. This is a shared hosting providers:

hyelton said: But Page loads etc suck! I've probably tested 5 different providers bestwebhosting, hostmantis, and a few others.

vs VPS/dedi situation:

hyelton said: When running Wordpress with Nginx on my SYS server it runs wonderfully.

Apache will run as fast as Nginx for your WP site given enough resources.

• bashedbashed Member

plugins can be a huge resource hog. dont just go install a billion plugins. get the essentials. also switch apache for nginx light or tweak apache.

Thanked by 1zafouhar
  • hyelton said: Nope... far from it. Simple Gym Website with 5 plugins. Font, Disabled comments, Image gallery, WP Statistics, and WP Smush. Only just a few pages in size..

Also its not slow everywhere. Runs just fine on a VPS or dedi on Nginx.

I don't see any caching plugin. W3total or Supercache is recommended. Runing bare wordpress will give you terrible performance when > 30 visitors.

• @bashed said:
    also switch apache for nginx light or tweak apache.

@hyelton said:
    Any suggestions on using a Shared provider and slow wordpress issues?

Nice reading skills :P

• awvnxawvnx Member
    edited May 2016

You should just use free Cloudflare and set up caching. Do you really need to generate a brand new page everytime someone loads up your blog? Cache everything for 30 minutes and your load will dramatically decrease.

You can also use reverse proxies, like configuring nginx to do caching as well, but most shared hosting services won't provide that as it's something you have to install and configure yourself. That's why people might recommend a VPS so you can customize your server. But you do need to know what you're doing.