Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What better location for a VPS (for VPN), accessible from china - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What better location for a VPS (for VPN), accessible from china

2»

Comments

• salakissalakis Member

@Nyr said:

I am just summing up my experience and I felt like the network connections were quite unpredictable to hosts in Asia in the lower price range. Last year I have been in the south and hooked up on Vultr and I did encounter routes backhauled via LA.

It felt far more like a latency and packet loss rollercoaster in comparison to the routes to the West Coast. There you could never expect any miracle, but I was more or less able to rely on an acceptable latency somewhere between 170 and 240ms.

About the other hosts, I do have to say that I never tried OAH, but may try soon, I am returning to Guangdong in about a month.
    Softlayer used to be a quite nice option especially in the south, but from I have heard it went quite a bit down the drain and even there you shouldn't expect any mindblowing stability to the mainland.
    EDIS HK afaik also only peers with China Mobile.

What I am saying is that technically the way to go would be something in HK with direct uplinks to both CT and CU, which is especially from the economic perspective quite a fairytale in LEB range.

• zxbzxb Member

To the OP: you may consider buying a shadowsocks account. Cheaper than a VPS and most problems taken care of.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@TheOnlyDK @zxb @salakis

I have an idea about Chinese Internet because I needed to crawl some Chinese videos just months ago. Working from LA proved to be very slow and I ended up getting a VPS with OAH. It was very nice for the price, I was actually surprised. I suggest anyone who needs a decent connection from China to try them or other SG.GS provider.

Internet in China sucks? Yeah, sure, never said otherwise. But you don't need to spend a lot to get transit significantly better than LA.

• salakissalakis Member
    edited May 2016

@Nyr said:

Well yeah, but there's difference between pulling something from somewhat solid Chinese servers (e.g. Youku) and using a residential line in China.
    Using residential lines is something that is honestly beyond my understanding, the latency deviations on same ISPs in different provinces are simply unexplainable (and these differences are far less significant to LA).

But thanks, I will give OAH a try.

To sum it up, more than happy that I don't have to bother with this crap on my gigabit FTTH line at home in NL.

• fitvpnfitvpn Member

Nyr said: Internet in China sucks

How many folks lived in China? :) 2Mbps to everyone must be enough for that quantity :)

• zxbzxb Member

@Nyr said:
    @TheOnlyDK @zxb @salakis

I have an idea about Chinese Internet because I needed to crawl some Chinese videos just months ago. Working from LA proved to be very slow and I ended up getting a VPS with OAH. It was very nice for the price, I was actually surprised. I suggest anyone who needs a decent connection from China to try them or other SG.GS provider.

Internet in China sucks? Yeah, sure, never said otherwise. But you don't need to spend a lot to get transit significantly better than LA.

Well, guess I have high standards then. I can't stand it.

• msg7086msg7086 Member

OpenVPN

I doubt that you can use it at all. $hadow$ocks is almost your only choice.

• gigavestgigavest Member
    edited May 2016

@Webinium said:
    Hello,

I'll go three months in China.

I would like to rent a VPS to install OpenVPN.

You advised me to rent VPS what country o city?

You advise me to rent with which company?

Hi Webinium,

OpenVPN is blocked in China too. SS(shadowsocks) is what they use in China now.

We are currently offering Singapore VPS with direct route to China at $7 a month. Latency average is around ~90ms

https://client.gigavest.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=15

China Ping test to our Singapore Network

Thank You

• fitvpnfitvpn Member

This research can take forever :)

• rokokrokok Member

Maybe my beloved @qq7119 can help xoxo

• I live in this country so I can say something.

PPTP is not likely to work, neither OpenVPN.

You can just buy a shadowsocks account. There are many providers and you can just search on Google+...

Though shadowsocks is a proxy not a VPN...

Thanked by 1gigavest
  • adeade Member

Vultr's Los Angeles Data Center will be a nice choose. Latency about 170~180 ms .

• yorkyork Member

Find an asia shadowsocks on G+.Desktop client could be found on Github.
    NO SL,NO hostus,ALL SLOW for China Telecom.
    In fact they are all slow without TCP accelerater.
    Just try to use China Mobile ranther than other ISPs for its best international connectivity in China mainland.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • deployvmdeployvm Member, Host Rep

Best locations?

I recommend South Korea and Siberia, Russia.

Russia, as low as 100ms, or Korea, maybe 50-60ms from Beijing or Shanghai.

• @york said:
    Just try to use China Mobile ranther than other ISPs for its best international connectivity in China mainland.

This is LTE data not home broadband...

CU LTE is ok.

CM... god no, their firewall is much higher.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2016

Anyone is here from #China?

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • DewlanceVPS said: Anyone is here from #China?

Many people.