Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ChicagoVPS Customer: Understanding the Implications of the "Thread" - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ChicagoVPS Customer: Understanding the Implications of the "Thread"

2»

Comments

• What does 808 in buffer tell us?

• @bdtech said: What does 808 in buffer tell us?

It tells you how much RAM you're actually using (without buffers and cache)

• @Bogdacutuu said: It tells you how much RAM you're actually using (without buffers and cache)

Totally incorrect, it tells you how much RAM is used by buffers, only the free amount in buffers (1239 in this case) tells how much you are free to use

• There is a difference in Linux between "available" and "free" (unused) RAM

• BogdacutuuBogdacutuu Member
    edited March 2013

@BronzeByte said: There is a difference in Linux between "available" and "free" (unused) RAM

Of course there is. Have you even bothered to read the link I posted?

• erhwegesrgsrerhwegesrgsr Member
    edited March 2013

Woohoa, I was totally wrong, guess it was long time ago I ran free -m on a small VPS, my apologies @Bogdacutuu

What I did wrong? I was for a moment convinced that the second line was how much the buffers were using, forgot that it was a calculation for actual usage (hence the -/+)

• Thanks! That was a great explanation.

• My last question I think based on all the information provided here, what happens when enough customers start to increase there usage of the their VPS and the memory used by enough customers reaches or attempts to pass the actual physical limit? Say everyone started doing something on Monday morning at the same time. Crash? How do I experience that as a customer? Would my VPS just go down and need rebooting?

I am asking about this because from my console statistics a couple of my VPSs @ Chicago have occasionally gone down for no apparent reason when I was nowhere near the memory limit myself.

• @MTUser2012 said: My last question I think based on all the information provided here, what happens when enough customers start to increase there usage of the their VPS and the memory used by enough customers reaches or attempts to pass the actual physical limit? Say everyone started doing something on Monday morning at the same time. Crash? How do I experience that as a customer? Would my VPS just go down and need rebooting?

I am asking about this because from my console statistics a couple of my VPSs @ Chicago have occasionally gone down for no apparent reason when I was nowhere near the memory limit myself.

I think the node will start swapping, so far I've never experienced that scenario though.

• erhwegesrgsrerhwegesrgsr Member
    edited March 2013

@MTUser2012 said: and the memory used by enough customers reaches or attempts to pass the actual physical limit?

When you try to start a process it will give a segment fault which I got like a thousand times on Virpus back in the days when their disks were USABLE, hahha

• Jono20201Jono20201 Member
    edited March 2013

@BronzeByte said: I got like a thousand times on Virpus back then

I bet...

• @Jono20201 said: I bet...

Hey, that was like 2011, you can't blame me, there weren't as many providers as now, was before ChicagoVPS came with 2GB and when BuyVM was like used by 99% of the people

This discussion has been closed.