Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for cheap providers to run honeypots on
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for cheap providers to run honeypots on

As the title really, I'm looking for suggestions for cheap providers that I can run honeypots on, either cowrie or dionea.

I'm currently using Cloudatcost to run my honeypots, however it means all my eggs are in one basket (canada) so to speak.

As such I'm looking for some cheap providers elsewhere in the world that I can use to get a wider catchment. Ideally I am looking for providers with yearly packages that wont sh*t a brick if I'm running a honeypot. Performance isnt a massive issue (I am using cloudatcost at present) but reliability is.

Comments

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

I recommend DigitalOcean. Damn those IPs get some serious attention from all kinds of threats.

Probably due to the tendencies of Cloud Users to not understand the platform they run, and just deploy (for e.g) a docker container with default settings.

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Hello,

You could be interested in our Cloud service, it includes personnal templates management. So you can import a system, make a template deploy and redeploy when you want changing or keeping the same ip.

• bashedbashed Member

what honeypot system you going to use? im interested

• @bashed said:
    what honeypot system you going to use? im interested

I'm mainly running cowrie, which is a medium interaction SSH honeypot. I'm also going to be looking into dionea as well in due course.

@SplitIce thanks for the DO suggestion, I've been meaning to try them out.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

OVH VPS or a RamNode VPS maybe?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Sadly, Most of the Honeypots are crap, a Team last Year at 32c3 revealed some stuff, some variables can't be changed for example and a Bot can detected if that is a Honeypot.

so eh, but maybe there is a Honeypot with variables you all can alter.

• mik997mik997 Member

@EVM_Mike said:
    OVH VPS or a RamNode VPS maybe?

+1 OVH - 30% off at the moment if u prepay 6/12 month term

https://www.ovh.co.uk/

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

I like honey, can I be paid in honey?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@SplitIce said:
    I recommend DigitalOcean. Damn those IPs get some serious attention from all kinds of threats.

For reals. I've got three xmlrpc honeypots right now.

• tommytommy Member

Ovh and online.net

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited May 2016

@SplitIce said:
    Probably due to the tendencies of Cloud Users to not understand the platform they run, and just deploy (for e.g) a docker container with default settings.

Really? What "default setting" of a docker container is a security issue? Or do you mean default settings of the stuff they run inside the container?