Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reseller to low end VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Reseller to low end VPS

xxtonixxtoni Member
edited May 2016 in Help

Hello everyone,

I am currently hosted on a reseller and I have been having pretty big problems with it for the past few months.

I am definitely changing hosts but am now considering instead of going with a VPS + cPanel which is 33€ per month.

I have like 30ish sites running wordpress, barely any traffic, actually email makes more traffic and takes up more space than the sites.

But it is extremely important for me that uptime is high and that email works but I have never hosted a server before that needs to be up 24/7 and handled security and such.

I'm thinking I could get one of those open source control panels, setup the databases, emails and such, make the switch but I'm not sure how one would go about handling the security on a day to day basis.

Anyone else that has done this journey ?

Advice and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Unless your VPS + cPanel is managed, you still need to look after the actual server and make sure all your sites are behaving.

It's not that hard to manage a server as cPanel makes things a little easier, but I still suggest moving to a reliable reseller host. You could always get a decent reseller first (buyshared), and slowly move your sites over from that once you are comfortable with managing a server.

• xxtonixxtoni Member

That seems to be the most prudent course of action.

I will probably do it that way.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

You can purchase Reseller plan from high quality providers but you said that you want to use free control panel so Webmin type control panel will be ok for you however cPanel is a better option specially for security issue. You can easily secure cPanel server and there is lot of tutorials.

Hosting a 30 site on Reseller hosting is a good option. Many of our customer host nearly about 40 accounts.

• If you do ever choose to get a cPanel VPS, I'd highly recommend KnownHost. They have stellar support, and manage everything on your cPanel VPS for you.

Thanked by 1ChrisMiller
  • A big step, it's a tough learning curve but definitely worth it. I am moving away from Webmin (training wheels) to using Bash to manage servers. I'm not running any production or customers though so have the 'luxury' of simply re install the VPS if I f@#k it all up.

It's well worth it, but as suggested getting a good reseller account and some good VPS providers. With your budget, I know some will scoff but prudent purchases could have you some good quality resale space and a few VPS to start learning.

Best of luck :)

• ShockHostingShockHosting Member, Host Rep

Assuming that your current reseller is using cPanel, then I would say that the best option would be to move to a cPanel VPS. One of the key benefits of moving from cPanel, to cPanel, is that you can easily migrate using the backups. It will also be a familiar interface for you and others (if needed) to manage.

However, if you are simply just having issues with a single reseller host then you might want to look for an alternative provider (higher quality) instead of taking the plunge into your own server. If you decide to move to your own server, then I would probably recommend hiring someone/a management company to take care of it for you while you learn the ropes.

• Might you share what reseller specifications you have and also share what troubles you have hard with your current reseller so we try to understand the cause of that problem?

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited May 2016

Go with Liquidweb and take a managed 15-30$ VPS plan. Stop being sad. Be happy instead :)