Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ram requirements for rsync
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ram requirements for rsync

jcalebjcaleb Member

I plan to get a new vps for nginx and static html only. Will transfer files througb rsync. Is 128mb ovz enough for rsync or does it spike ram usage?

Comments

• akbakb Member
    edited May 2016

If you aren't syncing lots of hard-links (the -H flag), rsync is generally very light on memory usage for any amount of data you throw at it. A 128mb should suffice easily.

• LiteServerLiteServer Member, Patron Provider

128MB should do the job just fine. We have had no issues with transferring small/larger file in large quantities. Memory foot print of rsync is quite low, but you may see CPU usage increase when transferring a lot of small files.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • kaflokaflo Member

you could also add this in your rsync command if you have a low memory server

rsync --no-i-r

it disables incremental recursion

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • jcalebjcaleb Member

My files will be thousands of HTML and some images, all under 100kb each.

Thank you for suggestions

• LiteServerLiteServer Member, Patron Provider

@jcaleb said:
    My files will be thousands of HTML and some images, all under 100kb each.

Thank you for suggestions

Sounds like a low load for rsync :-)
    It's one of the faster options to transfer a few thousand files in a short time.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • rokokrokok Member
    edited May 2016

128Mb is enough, my tips just: use 64bit template! Some case 32bit has limitation for "thousands files".

Thanked by 2vimalware jcaleb
  • jcalebjcaleb Member

nice tip