Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Google ARA ,is this next revolution ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Comments

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran
    edited May 2016

Awesome! That's the next big thing! Can't wait to have one.

Thanked by 1support123
  • GCatGCat Member

It looks neat, but End to End encryption DISABLED by default, big turn off.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • fitvpnfitvpn Member

Damn shit, why it needed?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
  • fitvpnfitvpn Member

support123 said: support123

Google ARA - Armenian made ;)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • squibssquibs Member

@raindog308 said:

I stopped reading Wired once they put in an ad blocker blocker.

Me too - after 10+ years of reading it.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited May 2016

Feels like a gimmick to me. No doubt a cool one, but still just a gimmick. Kind of like how I feel about "force touch" on the iPhone. I like it, I use it, but I don't consider it a new standard.

Thanked by 3deadbeef GCat ATHK
  • It's nice, and the geek in me would like to use it, but I know it will never be mainstream and thus don't expect to have the upgrades or the variety of components and price down as the years go by.

Unless it is done by a consortium of the phone companies, and they make it a requirement for each new phone - that way, it'll work for everyone.

• It's DOA. They are going after some very fringe market of ppl who want to change only the camera/screen or want to put useless components into their phone (like a piece of wood or a piece of colored plastic that does nothing). The original idea was to make upgradable phone allowing people to upgrade some components without replacing the full phone (for example CPU, GPU, memory, flash storage & battery). They aren't allowing any of this now.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Why would I get that when my Nexus 6P does everything plus more.

• PandyPandy Member

@EVM_Mike said:

Oh your Nexus 6P has quick switchable camera, battery and memory? :D

doesnt do everything it does, but i still wouldn't switch.

Thanked by 1support123
  • dailydaily Member

I think this is the natural direction that technology is going in. This project comes in at a weird time where the standard is making everything take less space. Thinner, smaller, etc. I think eventually phones will be modular, but it will be a long road. As always, this is a first version, and there are always kinks to work out.

Thanked by 1support123
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@Pandy said:

@EVM_Mike said:

Oh your Nexus 6P has quick switchable camera, battery and memory? :D

doesnt do everything it does, but i still wouldn't switch.

Well extra memory, battery and a switchable camera are all useless to me :P

Thanked by 1Lee

@jarland said:
    Feels like a gimmick to me. No doubt a cool one, but still just a gimmick. Kind of like how I feel about "force touch" on the iPhone. I like it, I use it, but I don't consider it a new standard.

I've reported you to Apple as a Suppressive Person.

Thanked by 3jar netomx Francisco
  • yomeroyomero Member

GCat said: It looks neat, but End to End encryption DISABLED by default, big turn off.

Wrong subject?

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Should have just integrated it into hangouts. They have too many messaging solutions as it is

• iBotiBot Member

@jarland said:

Dem drop tests would like fine on em.

• @Awmusic12635 said:
    Should have just integrated it into hangouts. They have too many messaging solutions as it is

It's amazing how people write comments without reading what they are commenting on.

чукча - не читатель, чукча - писатель

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@elwebmaster said:

@Awmusic12635 said:

It's amazing how people write comments without reading what they are commenting on.

чукча - не читатель, чукча - писатель

Ha whoops. Was referring to their announcement about allo. Looks like I skimmed the name too fast

• creepcreep Member

Do you have ipv6 yet?

• @elwebmaster said:
    The original idea was to make upgradable phone allowing people to upgrade some components without replacing the full phone (for example CPU, GPU, memory, flash storage & battery). They aren't allowing any of this now.

That was my reading of it too, they have made a huge leap forward but the original idea was culled in that process. That they are aiming for 'High End' users (aforementioned wood/compact/bling modules) means it's simply a cash cow (for now) rather than the project it was designed to be last year.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited May 2016

@raindog308 said:
    I've reported you to Apple as a Suppressive Person.

Give us 5 audits with @jarland and we will make him an Operating Thetan again.
    Amitz Miscavige
    Team Leader Apple SeaOrg.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited May 2016
    • Fineprint:
      Those audits come at a tiny contribution towards costs amounting to USD 12,000.00 per session.
    edited May 2016

Amitz said: Team Leader Apple SEA ORG.

SeaOrg. Now THAT is a tag we need here for Moderators. Less "warning" and "banning" and more "sec check" and "you are being sent to The Hole".

• AmitzAmitz Member

There you go: SeaOrg.
    Even though only freemasons call it like that. ;-) We, here at Lowendology, call it SOW. Source of Wisdom. However, we will fix your @jarland. No doubt.

• It was an idea that failed kickstarter and noone really cared about it. Now google does and hopefully it'll go through. I love the idea.

• Lotta sizzle there, but it didn't show anything much to catch my attention. What are all the modules available? Are any of them any good? I want a can-opener option so I can take it camping.