Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the best reasonably affordable shared host? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is the best reasonably affordable shared host?

2»

Comments

• Anyone know of any UK shared hosts? Not for myself but a friend.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

A Small Orange was a HostGator company. What they did now that HostGator is EIG acquired, I don't know.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Webhostingpad is total craps I used them at the beginning. Slow, unreliable, bad support.
    @Makkesk8

• I've used 1and1 shared for almost ten years. MySQL must have 5 nines uptime for me and overall consistently web hosting over four nines in my experience

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@JTR - I've used Dreamhost for more than 7 years and have been quite happy.

What are your issues?

• JTRJTR Member

@raindog308 said: @JTR - I've used Dreamhost for more than 7 years and have been quite happy.

What are your issues?

Terrible control panel, oddly restricted access permissions, it's slow at times, and my client wants to move for other reasons (they don't really trust Dreamhost, partially because of a legal scuffle between my client, Dreamhost, and their former web developer). The entire Dreamhost account we have is terribly set up too, the transfers have left a mess of accounts all over the place, some of which are only authorized to access certain things.

I'm going to suggest Mediatemple to my client and I'll mention some of the smaller ones from this thread as alternatives. Thanks for all the suggestions!

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@JTR said: Terrible control panel

I disagree. Totally. It's much better than the run of the mill cPanel. Nice API, easy to use, billing and management are in one place, easy to manage domains, easy to manage MySQL, subversion, etc. Not really sure what makes it terrible.

cPanel always seems like a hacked-up mess to me. It's premised on the "main domain + add-on domains" model which is silly. DH's panel just makes them all the same, and they're all in /home/yourname/example.com directories without public_html vs. add-on, etc.

Can't comment on the rest - but i like DH's panel.

• I've been using MediaTemple for a while now. It's awesome! That's all I can say.

• There are a lot of cheap providers out there. We personally look for something different that shared hosting yet cheap. Rrdnshosting.com is a nice concept. Its clustered shared hosting so is reliable. A couple of our clients use them.

• wdqwdq Member

I used Media Temple before I got really into this whole VPS thing. They were the best shared host I had ever used. Although I assume there might be better hosts that have launched since then.

• @ShardHost said: Anyone know of any UK shared hosts? Not for myself but a friend.

@ShardHost I offer UK webhosting since 2006

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited March 2013

RuneServer said: "German OffShore"
    BronzeByte said "Hehe, you're funny, you host RSPS'es too? Because Germany has one of the most strict copyright laws"

I don't know if PavHost hosts RSPS'es but I do know that they're hosting fake "Verisign Secure" and fake "BBB Accredited" seals on their home page so I guess they're OK with any type of copyright infringement including RSPS's.

• JTRJTR Member

Is Mediatemple worth the premium cost?

A $4/mo plan from IPXCore or Hostigation could comfortably fit the site's rather low resource usage. Is there any reason not to just go with them?

• If performance and stability are your major concerns, I strongly recommend MediaLayer. Try it to believe it.

http://www.medialayer.com/hosting/application-hosting.html

It is the shared hosting I truly enjoyed before moving to my own LEB for capacity reasons.

• IPXCore or catalysthost

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

I suggest..
    www.verygoodSharedHostWith5MinuteOffsiteBackup.com for $5pm with no overselling :)

• JTRJTR Member

I'm trying to decide if Medialayer is worth spending $16/mo more on. Reviews seem mixed.

• NickkNickk Member
    edited March 2013

@JTR said: Is Mediatemple worth the premium cost?

Yep. You won't really experience any random down times or small problems that can arise with LEB hosts. Not to say any premium host like mediatemple is absolutely perfect, but for $15 a month more.. it's not much.

Then again, if this is just a low traffic website and not so important to making money, it may not be worth it for the premium hosts.

• I have MediaTemple because I host my clients there (I'm a webdesigner), so it has to work. If I were hosting only my small website, I'd probably choose something else.

• Big company wise - hostrocket.com

Can't go wrong with them. Have used them in the past for a few years.

• JacobJacob Member

Shared = Boo!

• @Jacob said: Shared = Boo!

says an openvz vps provider

• NekkiNekki Veteran

For the UK, try tsohost.com They're top notch for shared hosting, and they'll fall over backwards to help you.

• @Nick said: Yep. You won't really experience any random down times or small problems that can arise with LEB hosts. Not to say any premium host like mediatemple is absolutely perfect, but for $15 a month more.. it's not much.

We could charge 1500% more for the same service, but there isn't really a need to. It looks like they have 24/7 phone support, we have 24/7 ticket support.

• What type of uptime are people seeing with media temple? They imply everything is grid/HA

• @JTR said: I'm trying to decide if Medialayer is worth spending $16/mo more on. Reviews seem mixed.

MediaLayer offers great performance as I can say from my own past experience. My WP site (with ~15 active plugins) was running so fast even without caching plugin. The only reasons I left them was due to budget constraints and the itching to build my own web server :)