Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

unable to install mysql 5.5 on openvz?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

unable to install mysql 5.5 on openvz?

kolkol Member
edited December 2011 in General

Hi,

Can you install MYSQL 5.5 on OPENVZ ?

I tried many way to install MYSQL 5.5 on OPENVZ VPS and get failed. I used XEN / Virtualbox before... not sure if it is a openvz problem or vps host template issue ?..(i'm using ramhost.us TinyVZ)

tried:

• different source & repos (mysql standard, MariaDB, Percona, Dotdeb..etc)
  • different OS (CentOS, ubunut, debian..)

Googled error log and tried different solution and not worked. so I guess its maybe a openvz ?

Comments

• You sure can. Post your error logs :).

• It does work on OpenVZ.

• Go59954Go59954 Member
    edited December 2011

I recently updated PHP to latest, and Mysql needed an update to 5.5. Here's how it worked on Centos (OpenVZ) and this is how to update both PHP and Mysql, if you want Mysql alone, try skipping steps 1,2 3 and 5, and in step 4 just run "yum update mysql":

1) wget http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/5/i386/epel-release-5-4.noarch.rpm  

2) wget http://rpms.famillecollet.com/enterprise/remi-release-5.rpm  

3) rpm -Uvh remi-release-5*.rpm epel-release-5*.rpm  
    Note: (if error occurred and one is already available, install only the other one, EPEL or REMI)  

4) yum –-enablerepo=remi update php php-* mysql  

5) Restart Apache:  /etc/init.d/httpd restart  

6) Now if MYSQL can't start after upgraded to 5.5, and getting similar error:  
    [ERROR] Can't open the mysql.plugin table. Please run mysql_upgrade to create it.  
    InnoDB: Started; log sequence number 0 44233  
    [ERROR] /usr/libexec/mysqld: unknown option '--skip-bdb'  
    [ERROR] Aborting  

- Solution:  

Open /etc/my.cnf , and comment out "skip-innodb", or all the following if you need (commenting out the first one alone worked for me):   
    #skip-innodb  
    #skip-locking  
    #skip-bdb  
    #skip-federated  

Then start Mysql: service mysqld start  

Then run mysql_upgrade (enter database password once required): mysql_upgrade  -uroot -p  

Restart Mysql: service mysqld restart  

Now just to reduce Mysql memory, disable innodb, but not the same way, here's what you need to add to  /etc/my.cnf:  

ignore_builtin_innodb  
    default_storage_engine=MyISAM  

That worked for me, or if you want you can add instead:  

innodb = OFF  
    default-storage-engine = MyISAM  

Finally restart Mysql, and RAM usage should reduce back.

Thanked by 1drmike
  • Thanks ALL

I tried @TigersWay script. I figure out the problem is.... I enabled innoDB.

111212 11:06:18 mysqld_safe Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/lib/mysql 111212 11:06:18 [Note] Plugin 'FEDERATED' is disabled. 111212 11:06:18 InnoDB: Mutexes and rw_locks use GCC atomic builtins 111212 11:06:18 InnoDB: Compressed tables use zlib 1.2.3.4 111212 11:06:18 InnoDB: Initializing buffer pool, size = 128.0M 111212 11:06:18 InnoDB: Completed initialization of buffer pool InnoDB: Error: pthread_create returned 11 111212 11:06:18 mysqld_safe mysqld from pid file /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid ended

so why can't enable innoDB ?

• @kol said: so why can't enable innoDB ?

Can you tell your vps specs?

• kolkol Member
    edited December 2011

@tux

128 MB Dedicated RAM 256 MB Burstable RAM 10 GB Disk Space Kernel 2.6.26

Debian GNU/Linux 6.0 32 bits.

free -m
    Mem: 256 44 211 0 0 0

df -h
    /dev/simfs 10G 453M 9.6G 5% /

• Innodb uses way too much memory to even bother trying to run it on a 128. I don't know how much the memory usage can actually be reduced while keeping innodb enabled, but the default config never runs for me on a 128 either, even with burst.

• Go59954Go59954 Member
    edited December 2011

Added to that yum memory usage (if you will update in Centos), as it needs a bit more RAM than Debian/Ubuntu during update.

And I did it hardly on 384 burst memory, I think it took over 300 Mb for just Mysql 5.5 when innodb was enabled. Maybe 256 ram will work if you try Debian 5 32 bit and kill as much services as you can.

Edit: you are using Debian already, so it may help if you checked my last post for why you are getting an error.

• Thanks @NickM & @Go59954,
    I will try to figure out how much ram does it needed on VirtualBox.

• MySQL 5.5 changed their confinguration syntax. Here is mine for MySQL 5.5:

[mysqld]
    key_buffer = 8M
    query_cache_size = 0
    character-set-server = utf8
    ignore_builtin_innodb
    default_storage_engine = MyISAM
    skip-name-resolve
  • We had some discussion in this thread as well I believe:

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/460/nginx-1.0.8-on-dotdeb/