Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VMBOX.co reviews wanted
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VMBOX.co reviews wanted

I came across a yearly offer from VMBOX.co which is perfect for my needs. I see they post offers regularly and also people here are pointed to their services often in the budget topics, but I can't find any user experiences. I was wondering if someone can share any experience with them?

Comments

• iRepkoiRepko Member

Service was good. Support tickets are answered very slowly. Great if you don't care too much for support and can manage it yourself.

Thanked by 1ARiEWWW
  • We used them for a while. The most frustrating part was when the service was down, which was too often for our use, the website/client area was also down so you had no way to submit a ticket and it might be hours before things were back up. Why do providers host their websites on their own service?

Thanked by 1ARiEWWW
  • Have a server with them in Phoenix, server is fine, does everything I throw at it. The network is awesome, singlehop has some good peering. The owner is a nice guy, chat with him a bit on LET, was very friendly. The support is alright, only used it once (was a question, not a real problem), got an answer in a couple of hours, may need longer time if they are busy but every provider is the same. If you submit a ticket for their SSL, then it will be slow, looking about 3-4 days since it is considered low priority and there are lots of people in front.

Overall I would say it's awesome, especially for the amount I paid, I'm happy.

Thanked by 3bersy ARiEWWW StevenN
  • @NodePing said:
    We used them for a while. The most frustrating part was when the service was down, which was too often for our use, the website/client area was also down so you had no way to submit a ticket and it might be hours before things were back up. Why do providers host their websites on their own service?

Which server are you on? I never noticed any downtime, but I never setup any monitoring either.

• ARiEWWWARiEWWW Member

I'm looking for Netherlands location, should have include that in OP

• adxnadxn Member, Host Rep

@ARiEWWW said:
    I'm looking for Netherlands location, should have include that in OP

I am right now with them no downtime still ( past 3 months) but ye support is little bit slow. else everything is good!

Thanked by 1ARiEWWW
  • KrisKris Member

Great SSL certificates. Haven't tried the VPS's.

Thanked by 1ranpha
  • I'm on their nl location. Have been using them for quite some time and they're great. Hardly any network issues and no noticeable downtime as of yet. One of my best servers in the LET range.

Support has always been fast and helpful for me although I never really encountered issues on their part so can't say how they are when something goes horribly wrong.

• TheOnlyDK said: Which server are you on?

We had a box with them in Phoenix for some time. Got tired of the downtime and inability to contact support when that downtime happened.

Thanked by 1ARiEWWW
  • @NodePing said:
    We had a box with them in Phoenix for some time. Got tired of the downtime and inability to contact support when that downtime happened.

My PHX server was fine, never noticed downtime.

Thanked by 1ARiEWWW
  • RizRiz Member

LAX and NL have been fine for me. Been with them for a while now. I notice blips on my monitoring at times, but haven't had any noticeable downtime.

Tagging for visibility @vmbox

Thanked by 1ARiEWWW
  • vladka24vladka24 Member
    edited May 2016

I've had a pretty happy experience with VMBox, oddly I've noticed normal response times.

Uptime is pretty good, been online since I bought it.
    14:51:54 up 87 days, 21:48, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Thanked by 1ARiEWWW
  • System Info
    -----------
    Processor       : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 v2 @ 2.10GHz
    CPU Cores       : 2
    Frequency       : 2099.846 MHz
    Memory          : 1024 MB
    Swap            : 0 MB
    Uptime          : 478 days, 17:01,

OS              : Debian GNU/Linux 7
    Arch            : i686 (32 Bit)
    Kernel          : 2.6.32-042stab102.9
    Hostname        : pinkdonut

Speedtest (IPv4 only)
    ---------------------
    Your public IPv4 is:

Location                Provider        Speed
    CDN                     Cachefly        90.1MB/s

Atlanta, GA, US         Coloat          660KB/s
    Dallas, TX, US          Softlayer       18.2MB/s
    Seattle, WA, US         Softlayer       14.2MB/s
    San Jose, CA, US        Softlayer       13.4MB/s
    Washington, DC, US      Softlayer       15.1MB/s

Tokyo, Japan            Linode          8.24MB/s
    Singapore               Softlayer       6.39MB/s

Rotterdam, Netherlands  id3.net         83.9MB/s
    Haarlem, Netherlands    Leaseweb        92.7MB/s

Disk Speed
    ----------
    I/O (1st run)   : 75.0 MB/s
    I/O (2nd run)   : 113 MB/s
    I/O (3rd run)   : 178 MB/s
    Average I/O     : 122 MB/s

And: http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/6661190

• ARiEWWWARiEWWW Member

@Saragoldfarb thanks! I see there's no vSwap with the package?

• @ARiEWWW said:
    @Saragoldfarb thanks! I see there's no vSwap with the package?

That's right. Not a problem for me though.

• henkbhenkb Member

They are fine. I had some hickups a few months ago.
    This was because abusers on the node. They monitored it and fixed/removed the problem.

There are faster providers, but for this amount of money, this is pretty damn good ;)

• StevenNStevenN Member, Host Rep

@NodePing said:
    We used them for a while. The most frustrating part was when the service was down, which was too often for our use, the website/client area was also down so you had no way to submit a ticket and it might be hours before things were back up. Why do providers host their websites on their own service?

I don't recall ever having more than a 1 hour outage while we had you as a customer, I made a point of emailing you when ever we had an outage as we wanted to keep you as a customer.

We host our website on our infra for a reason that I won't go into on a public forum however feel free to email or PM me if you'd like to discuss.

Most of the other customers above are probably referring to SSL cert tickets as 'Slow responses on Support' we see these as a low priority and process them in batches once a day, if you had an actual issue it would be dealt with much quicker.

Any questions feel free to post or PM me.

• TheOnlyDKTheOnlyDK Member
    edited May 2016

@VMbox said:
    Most of the other customers above are probably referring to SSL cert tickets as 'Slow responses on Support' we see these as a low priority and process them in batches once a day, if you had an actual issue it would be dealt with much quicker.

Yep, I can confirm this. My (non-technical) question was answered within a couple of hours, pretty fast.

• squibssquibs Member

I just cancelled with them as the box was surplus to requirements. I had the box for 2 years. Uptime was good, but network was often poor - sometimes to the point of ftp timeouts on 30Mb transfers. The box was on the wrong side of the US, but still....

• niceboyniceboy Veteran

I had a box with them earlier. Good provider, but slow support.

• simsim Member
    edited May 2016

So I just created an account because of this thread. I am a bit upset but want to preface this with something positive. The support was always nice. When I messed up a cert request once, they even gave me another cert.

@VMbox said:

@NodePing said:

I don't recall ever having more than a 1 hour outage while we had you as a customer, I made a point of emailing you when ever we had an outage as we wanted to keep you as a customer.

We host our website on our infra for a reason that I won't go into on a public forum however feel free to email or PM me if you'd like to discuss.

Any questions feel free to post or PM me.

So here is a one week graph of my container (note: at no point did I stop the container / machine myself):

Yesterday, the container did not even come up anymore. According to Ben, this is because of the high load.

One week load:

Am I abusing the VPS? Is it my fault the container cuts out for hours on end? I have no idea. I did not hear back from support at all on this.

• brycebryce Member

Wow. Any response or planned maintenance windows there?

• wwwcomwwwcom Member

A year ago I would have said they are a great value for what they are (bare metal minimalist hosting)

But this year there has been a severe CPU availability problem on the node which means it is either oversold/overloaded or there is an abusive container on the node which is being allowed to take more than its fair share for long periods of time.

I've only had actual downtime once for like 10-15 minutes and the server wasn't actually down, just network connectivity was down, so cannot complain about that part.

But you get what you pay for, it is openvz which is horrible resource management and I knew that going in.

• StevenNStevenN Member, Host Rep

@sim said:

Your load spiked and caused issues on the hostnode. Please keep your CPU use in line with TOS.