Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Raspberry Pis? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Raspberry Pis?

Comments

• I've got a case with 256 of them getting brought to the datacenter tomarrow. Once that's in, selling as dedi's as a side project.

• I used it as media player before. Now I use it to play minecraft.

Minecraft is free on pi edition.

http://pi.minecraft.net/

• @Damian said: Are these actually available for purchase now? Or do they still have a months-long waiting period?

I ordered mine from newark.com and it came the following week. This was about two months ago I think.

• @Rallias Really? What's the cost or computational power per watt for 256 pi?

• @bdtech said: @Rallias Really? What's the cost or computational power per watt for 256 pi?

I don't care. I don't think many people will complain about a $5/mo dedi.

• @Rallias true 256 of them just comes down to IPs, switch ports, and OS reloads

• Covered

@bdtech said: switch ports

Covered

@bdtech said: OS reloads

This one was a wee bit trickey but it's covered.

• @Rallias said: @bdtech said: IPs

Covered

@bdtech said: switch ports

Covered

@bdtech said: OS reloads

This one was a wee bit trickey but it's covered.

What kind of enclosure are you putting them all in?

• smile93smile93 Member
    edited March 2013

This will be another offer that should not missed. Hopefully, it comes with >= 16Gig of HD space.

Rallias 10:28AM Flag

@bdtech said: @Rallias Really? What's the cost or computational power per watt for 256 pi?

I don't care. I don't think many people will complain about a $5/mo dedi.

• WillWill Member

Just got mine! I'll post a review soon :)

• I have 3 Raspberry Pis.

(1) Runs as an asterisk server for our home phone. (We cancalled landline 16 months ago and haven't looked back). Works absolutely amazingly with 2 Cisco ATAs plus softphone and 3 VOIP providers.

(2) Runs as a backup server with two 1.5 G disks attached. Target for rsync backups from Macs at home.

(3) Spare

• @hopetindall said: (1) Runs as an asterisk server for our home phone. (We cancalled landline 16 months ago and haven't looked back). Works absolutely amazingly with 2 Cisco ATAs plus softphone and 3 VOIP providers.

I'm really curious as to how specifically this is setup. What VoIP Providers do you use? I kinda want to get a single VoIP for myself but I don't know if its worth it.

• Also, @Rallias you know I want to know more information about that!

• I use voip.ms for my sip trunk needs, been very reliable and supports custom caller id. I use tollfreegateway.com as my toll free routing (not needed as a seperate but I do anyhow as it supports anonymous, no logins or money needed for this trunk for toll free calls).

I used to use an internal server for asterisk but when I found the free pbxes.com I use it since its free to use online as your asterisk server.

I use xlite on my comp for one extension when needed and a linksys pap2t-na for a cordless phone.

It costs 99 cents for a number then you pay per min for incoming, they have an unlimited plan for incoming on the did but I never use it enough for that.

I also got a toll free number through them where you pay a little more for the incoming.

If anyone needed help getting something setup I wouldn't mind helping.

• hopetindallhopetindall Member
    edited March 2013

@HalfEatenPie said: I'm really curious as to how specifically this is setup. What VoIP Providers do you use? I kinda want to get a single VoIP for myself but I don't know if its worth it.

Hi,

I use voip.ms as well as callwithus.com as well as voicenetwork.ca
    I also have a Google Voice number hooked up using the Motif support in the new version of Asterisk.

Incoming calls come in from voip.ms since our DIDs are hosted there. Outbound calls are terminated with supplier based on cost - for instance voicenetwork.ca has on-net locations in the Toronto area with rates of $0.0035/min; I route these calls to voicenetwork.ca

Other outgoing calls terminate to either voip.ms or callwithus.com. It's incredibly convenient. It's also nice to not pay for home phone anymore.

PHT

• The Pi is really nice for the price and the GPIO can be very useful... but if you want something for computing instead of automation, an all-in-one ITX board can be much more useful since it'll have SATA, the Via APC is interesting...

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

+1 for voip.ms here, too.

@Rallias- eagerly awaiting that offer.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
  • PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

Has anybody managed to get the HDMI cable to work properly?

Apparently you need to enable HDMI or something, but I don't have a composite cable to do it with.

What are people doing to get these to show something? :P My replacement (as I originally thought it was faulty - turns out not) is arriving this morning (RMSpecDel)

• It should work out of the box.

@MartinD said: It should work out of the box.

That's what I thought, but I plugged the HDMI cable in and tried it on TV/Laptop/Monitor and there was just no video.

My friend has the same problem. In the wiki, it says something about enabling HDMI but I don't have a composite cable yet (it's coming next week). I was just wondering if there's something I can do to make this work before that arrives.

I'll try it with the hdmi cable when it arrives though, you never know.

• @dominicl said: I'll try it with the hdmi cable when it arrives though, you never know.

I think you just have to update a file on the SD card if I'm correct... mine was plug in and play though so how odd.

Maybe?

http://elinux.org/RPiconfig
    **hdmi_safe **

Use "safe mode" settings to try to boot with maximum hdmi compatibility. This is the same as the combination of: hdmi_force_hotplug=1, config_hdmi_boost=4, hdmi_group=2, hdmi_mode=4, disable_overscan=0

hdmi_safe=1

The new one seems to work :D

• erhwegesrgsrerhwegesrgsr Member
    edited March 2013

I'm considering ordering like 20 of them and setting up as cluster :p

• prae5prae5 Member

@dominicl said: Has anybody managed to get the HDMI cable to work properly?

Apparently you need to enable HDMI or something, but I don't have a composite cable to do it with.

>

It should work out of the box - you shouldn't need to to anything. Unless you are running an odd distro that specifically disabling it?

• prae5prae5 Member

edit

@dominicl said: The new one seems to work :D

@prae5

• prae5prae5 Member

Saw after posting - my bad ;-)

• BogdacutuuBogdacutuu Member
    edited March 2013

NVM

• @BronzeByte said: I'm considering ordering like 20 of them and setting up as cluster :p

I want to do this ass well! What kind of software would you run on it?