Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Owncloud sync between servers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Owncloud sync between servers?

CoreyCorey Member
edited February 2013 in General

So can owncloud not sync between servers? How is this even a cloud or a replacement for dropbox etc if all my data is going to sit on one server.....

Comments

• you can use something like Tahoe-LAFS for distributed storage, might work for owncloud

• @fly said: you can use something like Tahoe-LAFS for distributed storage, might work for owncloud

I could... but I expected this software to have that capability.

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

@Corey the title is very misleading.

• @RobertClarke said: @Corey the title is very misleading.

How so? There is a question mark at the end of it denoting a question.

• @Corey if you're wanting backups / redundancy you can simply rsync across other servers. (One line if you're using SQLite)

• Owncloud itself does not have this feature, altough there has been talk about it. I myself use multiple servers with the owncloud webinterface, mysql master-slave for the database and a GlusterFS volume between the servers for the data. The gluster volume is a mirror, so I don't benifit from more space but data redundancy.

• DRDB instead of glusterfs is also an alternative. it is in vanilla kernel.

• The problem with rsync is when you perform a rename of a large folder/file
    rsync will interpret this as a remove/create operation, and thus would delete the old folder/file from the destination, and then copy the renamed folder/file.

If my backup connection is limited by a 1Mbit connection, you can see that renaming my folder with linux ISO's will needlessly block my bandwidth.

Dropbox on the other hand, detects renames on the client, and just reproduces the rename operation on the cloud

DRDB is synchronous, so I am not sure how it will behave if you add a file but the network, or the remote host is down.
    DRDB is excellent when you have a reliable and fast connection between the (only) two member