Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

so I have a VPS and a domain, now what?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

so I have a VPS and a domain, now what?

adrockadrock Member
edited February 2013 in General

I'm a bit of a long time lurker, first time poster. I've picked up a few VPS from leb offers, and a few domains. I've set wordpress up on one of them to mess about with, and one of them is running my irssi session. Does anyone have any suggestions around any of the following?

sickbeard/sabnzbd/plex media server - the latter two want to remain at home with the storage and a host which can do HD transcoding, is there any benefit to moving sickbeard to a remote host?

I use simplenote a lot. Are there any open source alternatives with a supporting iOS app? If so what benefits are there to using them other than cost?

I use dropbox and it's integration with a bunch of other stuff which might be quite complicated to replicate, but are there any similar sort of things others have found useful that do similar/related things?

I get a VPN service free with another product and it's fine for what i use it for and already covers all the locations i have and more, though i'm thinking of setting one up temporarily so I have a better idea how it works. Are there any advantages to rolling your own?

I've looked at a few web based terminals too and I'd like to try setting one up. I'd like to be able to access it via the proxy at work; live demos have shown me some work and others don't so does anyone have any recommendations? It'd be used to login to my home network or other remote servers for basic admin, and maybe run a few CLI things locally.

For a bit of background, I've been working with vmware based virtualisation for ~5 years but mostly only supporting up to the hypervisor layer and limited support for windows OS applications. I use a mix of windows, osx and linux at home and used linux based lab PCs through uni. With the aid of google I'd guess that makes me 'somewhat competent', but i've not had any experiencee of apache or nginx beyond restarting services. I'm open to either suggestions which would help me learn something of interest, or things that would just be productive or more efficient than what i already use.

IF tl;dr THEN I have some VPSs, i'm looking for something to do with them beyond hosting web sites/pages.

Comments

• tldr

• Just read the last sentence of each paragraph.

is there any benefit to moving sickbeard to a remote host?

simplenote alternatives supporting iOS?

alternatives for dropbox and integration feature?

advantages to rolling your own VPN?

recommendation for setting up web based terminals?

• bnmklbnmkl Member
    edited February 2013

Haha, well done @DalComp. Some people are excellent at this.

You would be in control of any logs @adrock. But it will be possible to know you were enjoying sausage, rather than kebab, if no one else uses it.

• @bnmkl said: Haha, well done @DalComp. Some people are excellent at this.

Not that hard to read. I don't have the knowledge to answer, though. lol

• tldr ~

@DalComp said: Just read the last sentence of each paragraph.

is there any benefit to moving sickbeard to a remote host?

simplenote alternatives supporting iOS?

alternatives for dropbox and integration feature?

recommendation for setting up web based terminals?

that was awesome~!

I don't have the knowledge to answer too z

advantages to rolling your own VPN: u got full control, u r safe from evil provider and possible of being logged

• sorry about the length of my OP, i've gotten into that annoying habit of trying to predict peoples responses and trying to answer potential questions in the hopes of saving time, which is then wasted on reading the initial longer post. Internet Grade B- (must try harder).

I could divide each question into a separate post so people would only read ones which were particularly relavent to them, but that'd possibly be seen as spam.

my VPN provider is vypervpn via giganews, are they known to be evil? I really don't use it much, occasionally to listen to pandora on my phone and even less often to access bbc iplayer from abroad when i'm on holiday. I'm not paying for the service either, so i guess the main advantage would be learning how to set one up and having a better understanding of how they work.

• IF tl;dr THEN I have some VPSs, i'm looking for something to do with them beyond hosting web sites/pages.

1. P0rn Crawler/Archiver
    2. Encoding
    3. IRC
    4. Email
    5. DNS
    6. Radio Streaming
    7. Uptime Monitor
  • well
    well

why did you buy them in the first place?

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited February 2013

[@adrock said] alternatives for dropbox and integration feature?

Have a look at ownCloud, some round here seem to like it, some seem to hate it; seems to cause more issues if lots of people are using the same instance.

[@adrock said] advantages to rolling your own VPN?

If you've already got something that's free and works on all your devices, probably not unless you want a greater level of anonymity (i.e. no service owner to look at your log).

• P0rn Crawler/Archiver - not got the interest i'm afraid.
    Encoding - of what? I have a quad core box at home to do encoding/transcoding for music and video, or do you mean somethingelse?
    IRC - I have a client on one of them, not interestd in running a serve,r I've tried that before ;)
    Email - i've considered this as i registered myname .com but i'm not sure what i'd use it for as i have a work address already and my personal one is mostly automatic notifications of stuff, so only I would ever see it.
    DNS - I've set the domains up on cloudflare for DNS. I've no plans to use any of their other services, it was just the quickest/easiest to setup. what advantages would running my own offer, given I have a limited number of domains?
    Radio Streaming - do you mean streaming actual radio over IP, or setting up some kind of music streaming? I already have the latter running from home.
    Uptime Monitor - I've thought about this and thought it looks cool, but as only I use most of the stuff I run I'm not too sure of the benefit.

@murky said: why did you buy them in the first place?

Actually the first one was bought as a stop gap as the shared host i ran my irssi session on was having major issues. I planned to do more with it but never bothered. The second one i got because i thought the first had expired, and the third i got to replace the first one when it really did expire.

@Nekki said: Have a look at ownCloud

I'm actually reading up on it at the moment, along with a link i found here on setting it up with nginx. Agreed on the VPN though, the more i read the more i think i'd just be better sticking with what i'm not paying for. I don't do anything over it that i would want to keep away from the eyes of an admin.