Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Home Networking | The Low End Way | Cat 6 , Cat 6A Cat 7 - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Home Networking | The Low End Way | Cat 6 , Cat 6A Cat 7

2»

Comments

• @noaman said:

@timnboys said:
    I got them cheap off eBay which if you know where to look and have patience to wait for the best deal you will get what you wanted plus more

Bro...if I buy cheap from eBay its going to cost the same when paying shipping to my country....

China is near...any good site to buy switches network equipment pc's etc...you known of?

yes I always have trusted netgear switches there the best so far at this point.
    I have heard of aliexpress and dhgate.com

• Cat5e is fine, gigabit is fine, cheap ethernet cable is fine (not the flat crap).

• timnboystimnboys Member
    edited May 2016

@linuxthefish said:
    Cat5e is fine, gigabit is fine, cheap ethernet cable is fine (not the flat crap).

I agree I don't like the flat ethernet cable either I wouldn't buy that.

• No way you will get close to needing 10gbit on a home network, and you can always go with bonding/EtherChannel for high bandwidth stuff.

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

Only way i would 10 GBit in a house would be a token ring setup

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2016

I did cat 6e (for gbit) for a mate's place, but then the roll of cable cost only the slab consumed installing it!

• noamannoaman Member

@timnboys said:

@linuxthefish said:
    Cat5e is fine, gigabit is fine, cheap ethernet cable is fine (not the flat crap).

I agree I don't like the flat ethernet cable either I wouldn't buy that.

Yes...they are being sold on aliexpress.com
    Very cheap

• linuxthefish said: No way you will get close to needing 10gbit on a home network,

I would tend to agree. But perhaps the OP transfers a lot of terabyte files around the house. ;)

• dailydaily Member

@Ole_Juul said:

linuxthefish said: No way you will get close to needing 10gbit on a home network,

I would tend to agree. But perhaps the OP transfers a lot of terabyte files around the house. ;)

Plus, it sounds like something cool to have, "just because". :)

• GCatGCat Member

Am I the only one who didn't read instead voted for the most expensive and time consuming things?

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

Invest in high quality cat5e. Worth it more than basic 6A. 7 is over-reality for the moment.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • A note about network speeds. Really high bandwidth is needed when you're covering large distances and expecting to share with very many users. In a home environment you have few users and no distance problem. So, if you want to transfer terabyte files, you use sneakernet. Pick up your hdd and walk to the next room - saves both expense and time.

tl;dr In a home environment there's likely no use case for anything more than cat5e.

• noamannoaman Member

@Ole_Juul said:
    A note about network speeds. Really high bandwidth is needed when you're covering large distances and expecting to share with very many users. In a home environment you have few users and no distance problem. So, if you want to transfer terabyte files, you use sneakernet. Pick up your hdd and walk to the next room - saves both expense and time.

tl;dr In a home environment there's likely no use case for anything more than cat5e.

Actually the whole point of this networking to make a central hub where a NAS server would be....which will then share files all over the home by wire....not a fan of wireless

Thanked by 2deadbeef netomx
  • noaman said: Actually the whole point of this networking to make a central hub where a NAS server would be....which will then share files all over the home by wire....not a fan of wireless

Sounds like a nice arrangement. So cat5e would be plenty then.

I'm not sure why you mention wireless, unless you didn't understand what I meant by distance and why I mentioned it. In a home environment you can move large files like scientific databases in the terabyte size using sneakernet. When you have large distances, that is not practical. If your family is not doing that kind of big data work, then you don't need more than gigabyte capability. In the event that you want to move the whole thing, just physically move it.

• noamannoaman Member

@Ole_Juul said:

noaman said: Actually the whole point of this networking to make a central hub where a NAS server would be....which will then share files all over the home by wire....not a fan of wireless

Sounds like a nice arrangement. So cat5e would be plenty then.

I'm not sure why you mention wireless, unless you didn't understand what I meant by distance and why I mentioned it. In a home environment you can move large files like scientific databases in the terabyte size using sneakernet. When you have large distances, that is not practical. If your family is not doing that kind of big data work, then you don't need more than gigabyte capability. In the event that you want to move the whole thing, just physically move it.

Ok...Sneakernet approach is good...

But I will play it safe and get a good cat6 cable besides these sorts of investments are one time ....And cat6 is in my budget....eventhough you thinks its an overkill...

The problem is that in my country finding things that are orignal can some time be tough...So if i get my hands on a cheap / bad cat5e its going to drop to 100Mb/sec

But if its cat6 then there are less chances of that happening...

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul

False! Same as Cat5e. Always depend on wire quality and how good you are to make connectors.

• noamannoaman Member

@davidgestiondbi said:

False! Same as Cat5e. Always depend on wire quality and how good you are to make connectors.

Okay I admit you are right.

BTW

Which Brands you would suggest?

1.3M
    2.AMP
    3.Clipsal
    or anyother?

• Fantastic topic, keep it up guys!

Noob questions:

• Do you use 1 big ass router after the dsl modem that connects directly with all end devices or do you split that to multiple routers that each connects to the modem's ports? Does it even matter?
    • Does having an "enterprise" (like in high end hotels) wireless setup make better sense in terms of future upgrades & upfront cost vs a cable solution?
    • What's the ballpark cost for a good sized house for a decend cable + installation?

@deadbeef said:
    Fantastic topic, keep it up guys!

Noob questions:

• Do you use 1 big ass router after the dsl modem that connects directly with all end devices or do you split that to multiple routers that each connects to the modem's ports? Does it even matter?

One good and reliable router + switch

• Does having an "enterprise" (like in high end hotels) wireless setup make better sense in terms of future upgrades & upfront cost vs a cable solution?

Depend on your needs. Cable will always be better than wireless.

• What's the ballpark cost for a good sized house for a decend cable + installation?

Can't be said. Too many factor. Can do for 100 or 3000. Depend on length and quality that you are looking for.

Thanked by 1deadbeef