Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

vps or dedi? (vps vs dedicated)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

vps or dedi? (vps vs dedicated)

seenuseenu Member

I have used dedicated servers 3-4 years back and used to pay morethan $150/m

but for last 2 years, i am using DO then started using vultr,wable also recently.

using vps was very very tough in the beginning but now i am comfortable

but as my requirements growing up, i started taking more and more vpses and paying more than $60/m

but today come across a post https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/83409/thinking-to-move-but-where where he is paying just $43 for 32GB RAM and 250Gb SSD

for the record...all my vpses combined RAM or space doesn't match that and i pay morethan $43

so i am getting the doubt..... is vps offers anything extra than dedi? (with my knowledge NO but i know you guys are experts in subject)

also i have a question, if dedicated is the way to go

Can i create virtualhost/vps inside a dedi so my team can access their own portion without having access to whole dedi

Comments

• BunnySpeedBunnySpeed Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2016

What I would say is that you get with a VPS is less worrying about hardware failures and the ability to upgrade / downgrade, but you get more worrying about your neighours I guess and it's more expensive. Additionally your VPS is probably hosted on a RAID while your dedi is a single SSD so you have to take care of backups etc. A dedi means a bit more work and worrying, but it's cheaper? When something goes wrong with a VPS you can also count on the provider to fix and detect things while you have to monitor your dedi and see if the hardware is failing etc.

EDIT: Hopefully this all makes any sense, I'm watching a tv series at the same time as writing this :D

• RobotexRobotex Member

IMHO with the cost of a dedicated, you can have multiple vps in different locations

• BunnySpeedBunnySpeed Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2016

@Robotex said:
    IMHO with the cost of a dedicated, you can have multiple vps in different locations

Yeah but at one point running a VPS gets much more expensive than running a dedicated server especially with providers such as DO, Vultr, Wable etc.

• RobotexRobotex Member

@BunnySpeed said:

>

Yeah but at one point running a VPS gets much more expensive than running a dedicated server.

It depends from what you need to run on those VPS, if the workload can increase over time then a dedicated with overprovisioned hardware might be better suited.

• ShapeHostShapeHost Member
    edited May 2016

Have you checked that offer for yourself?

I could not find that plan and I really doubt it is so cheap for those features. But I might be wrong, please do a search and see if it is really valid.

If that price is correct, if I were you I would move to that VPS for sure. Without even thinking. Because the VPS can basically do what a Dedi does and if you get a Cloud VPS you can split the resources so you can create more machines from the same resources.

Later edit: I just went ahead and ordered the plan you are talking about and it seems that right now it works as a invitation mode only. You must wait to have free resources.

• @seenu said:

Can i create virtualhost/vps inside a dedi so my team can access their own portion without having access to whole dedi

Install ESX onto that box and get a few IP's and you have your own VPS host :D

• seenuseenu Member

Thanks for all the replies in such short span of time :)

@ShapeHost, i tried finding that offer but i can't find so i guess he may got that offer when they had it.

the price is so tempting that, it made me think about it for last 2hours...

• seenuseenu Member

@PirateHitman thanks for the info but i never heared of ESX :(

• @seenu said:
    @PirateHitman thanks for the info but i never heared of ESX :(

Like virtualbox.

• edited May 2016

In general, a powerful VPS will blow the doors off a low or medium spec dedicated server in terms of CPU speed, storage and sometimes even in network performance.

Thanked by 1seenu
  • sinsin Member

For me the pros of a VPS are: With VPSes you can setup different servers to do different things and put them in different locations if you want. I have VPSes just for my webservers, vpses just to use for ddos protection, and vpses just for backups. If one fails (as in goes down for a few hours or even if the provider somehow deadpools) then I can just quickly transfer it to another vps and be back up and running.

Thanked by 2seenu budi1413
  • rahulksrahulks Member

seenu said: @PirateHitman thanks for the info but i never heared of ESX :(

I think @PirateHitman meant to say VMware ESXi (formerly ESX).
    wiki at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VMware_ESX

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Hello,

I don't mean to be rude but if you don't know the difference between the two you should stay on virtual servers because you will have less things to care of.

+there are some things you can do with a vm you can't do with a dedi like snapshots, migrations, adjust ressources... of course all the mentionned features are not mandatory and depend on the services provided by the hosting company.

• seenuseenu Member

well, i know differences between both and used both

i had 2 dedi servers (managed) for 4 years

but after this vps boom, i moved to vpses and happy

but recently i come across posts where they say 32GB RAM dedi is for $40 where as i spend morethan $80 on DO for just 8GB RAM so i wanted to ask what is the difference.

when i had dedi...its managed
    in vps...unmanaged

and still vps is expensive than dedi and why...thats my main question.

• Its unmanaged that's why someone give you 32GB RAM dedi is for $40

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • seenuseenu Member

unamanged is fine for me

as i am using unmanaged vps, i am quiet comfortable with ubuntu and installing packages

infact, i wrote a single bash script to install many necessary things like php7,mysql,npm, gulp, bower, composer, redis etc.....so switching to a new vps or server doesn't matter much to me now.

• SSDBlazeSSDBlaze Member, Host Rep

@seenu said:
    unamanged is fine for me

as i am using unmanaged vps, i am quiet comfortable with ubuntu and installing packages

infact, i wrote a single bash script to install many necessary things like php7,mysql,npm, gulp, bower, composer, redis etc.....so switching to a new vps or server doesn't matter much to me now.

If you end up going the dedicated route, keep in mind that your VPS are likely RAID10 and your dedicated server wouldn't have a RAID which isn't redundant. You would need to get a second 240GB SSD and run RAID1 for redundancy. RAID10 would cost you too much with your dedicated server. So switching to dedicated means you might lose some disk performance, if that's important to you

• seenuseenu Member

Thanks for the info @SSDBlaze

honestly i know nothing about these RAID 0 - 10, i read that in every webhost specs but silently ignores them

and as majoriry of people favoring vps over dedi, i decided to go with vps only.

Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge.