Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking to move from my current Dedi Host, but where...?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Thinking to move from my current Dedi Host, but where...?

PirateHitmanPirateHitman Member
edited May 2016 in General

Hello all,

New on LET, I normally stalk on this site just reading and never inputting so thought I should start a discussion today as I really don't know what to do!

I currently have a dedi with Online.net with the specs of:

Intel Xeon E3 1230v3 3.30Ghz
32GB RAM
250GB SSD
1Gbps
Windows Server 2012 R2
All this comes to a total of $43 a month

At the moment space is getting really tight for me and I really need some more leeway in space, keep in mind this is a personal server for projects and sometimes comes in handy when I am doing my job (Field Engineer), as it can host files and such when I need it in a sticky situation and currently now using as a Media Server as an added role.

What would you suggest? Online.net has the DEDIBOX® LT 2016 for €39.99 /month but that one time setup fee... It's such a bummer even though I'm with them!

PH

Comments

• Location ? Budget ? For Europe, have you checkout Hetzner ? Not many providers cheapen than online.net around these days.

• @Junkless said:
    Location ? Budget ? For Europe, have you checkout Hetzner ? Not many providers cheapen than online.net around these days.

Yeah I did! But from the specs / comments people make about them having reliable disks... It worried me.

Biggest thing for me right now is the space.. Only option I see viable is going for that Online.net DEDIBOX.

Location will be either AMS / France / UK and a budget of $50 / 45 Eur.

• Guess then DEDIBOX is the best option for now. Lets wait for others to chime in.

• @Junkless said:
    Guess then DEDIBOX is the best option for now. Lets wait for others to chime in.

Thanks for the information, and yes let's see what the others suggest!

• You could use raid 1 on hetzner

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited May 2016

I have several Hetzner (Server Auction) machines for quite some time now. Only once, a HD broke and was changed by them within minutes on a weekend. I really cannot complain. Just use RAID-1 and you are good to go.

• rds100rds100 Member

If i had a server with SSD i wouldn't replace it with a server with HDD.
    How about additionally getting the cheapest small dedi from online.net, installing linux and samba on it and using it's disk to extend the storage space of your current server via samba mount?

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

I was expecting a thread that you wanted to relocate. Got disappointed though.

Thanked by 1shovenose
  • PirateHitmanPirateHitman Member
    edited May 2016

@rds100 said:
    If i had a server with SSD i wouldn't replace it with a server with HDD.
    How about additionally getting the cheapest small dedi from online.net, installing linux and samba on it and using it's disk to extend the storage space of your current server via samba mount?

Good idea but the storage range is just too expensive from them... Unless I get a Nano! Would that still be able to do everything I wanted to do? Would it be quick?

@Radi said:
    I was expecting a thread that you wanted to relocate. Got disappointed though.

I do want to relocate! I want a plan which lets me have around the same specs but just more SSD space?

@Amitz said:
    I have several Hetzner (Server Auction) machines for quite some time now. Only once, a HD broke and was changed by them within minutes on a weekend. I really cannot complain. Just use RAID-1 and you are good to go.

How is there support?

• belinikbelinik Member

if you are happy with the current network connection with online.net then I don't see a reason to relocate, just grab a larger box. you are doing field work so chances are you won't use some mega crazy connection... right?

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

@PirateHitman I meant: I was expecting a thread that you wanted to move to another country. :D

• seenuseenu Member

for me, your existing offer looks damn great

how can i get one?

• PirateHitmanPirateHitman Member
    edited May 2016

@belinik said:
    if you are happy with the current network connection with online.net then I don't see a reason to relocate, just grab a larger box. you are doing field work so chances are you won't use some mega crazy connection... right?

Comes in handy when rolling out various bits of software etc..

@Radi said:
    @PirateHitman I meant: I was expecting a thread that you wanted to move to another country. :D

Wouldn't mind honestly... It's the price I am worried about. I'm fine if it's in West EU.

@seenu said:
    for me, your existing offer looks damn great

how can i get one?

Got it last time when Online.net was doing a sale of their old stuff..

• @PirateHitman said:

@Radi said:

Wouldn't mind honestly... It's the price I am worried about. I'm fine if it's in West EU.

He meant, you are PHYSICALLY moving (shifting house/job etc) to a new country YOURSELF. not your server. That is what the word "Relocate" is generally used for.

• @Junkless said:

@PirateHitman said:

@Radi said:

He meant, you are PHYSICALLY moving (shifting house/job etc) to a new country YOURSELF. not your server. That is what the word "Relocate" is generally used for.

Ah right... Fixed :)