Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone using aws free 1y tier?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone using aws free 1y tier?

sandrosandro Member
edited May 2016 in Providers

Noticed that Amazon is givin 1y free for the first tier. Is it possible to use it without getting into charges?
Also are instances just simple vpses? I mean can you install a db in there or you need a different plan for databases? Like for storage that has a different plan.

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

It's underpowered but reliable. You get very little bandwidth though...make sure you understand all the charges.

• I used it. I took an EC2 in Dublin. Not really good. Not worth the regular price. Don't forget to destroy all your services there before the end or you will be charged.

Thanked by 1sandro
  • FalzoFalzo Member

I did find it good for testing purposes. but that really depends on what you would need and want to try. pricing is hard to understand beforehand in every single point. you run easily into further charges, so have some small funds ready just in case ;-)

• nepsneps Member

I didn't take the time to understand the charges, ended up paying a few dollars here and there for a bunch of stuff.

• CasterCaster Member

am still using one for personal RDP for small stuff. works great reliable but sucks for bandwidth prices.

• sandrosandro Member

E2C is just a regular VPS?

• sinsin Member

Well you can't go wrong with free! I used it to just play around with installing stuff and trying out new things. Like others have said just make sure you understand what's free and what isn't (although I found that they make sure you know what you're getting when you build you instances and there's an entire billing panel that you can set alerts on so it can warn you).

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

sandro said: E2C is just a regular VPS?

all of them are regular vps. cloud is simply a marketing term

• apidevlabapidevlab Member
    edited May 2016

@Falzo said:
    I did find it good for testing purposes. but that really depends on what you would need and want to try. pricing is hard to understand beforehand in every single point. you run easily into further charges, so have some small funds ready just in case ;-)

Pretty much sums up my experience, you really need to buy in to the whole Amazon cloud to make best use of the service. Similar to Azure et al

In terms of cost it's not cheap, I'm coming to the end of a free tier but wouldn't be looking at Amazon going forward.

It essentially is 'provider tied' which IMHO isn't a good idea. It's been fun to learn.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

sin said: Well you can't go wrong with free!

Oh, in fact you can. Meticulously learning screens worth of their fine print and risking to get charged hundreds of dollars directly from your credit card if you do some small mistake, is not everyone's idea of fun.

Meanwhile, you could just get some 2-3 EUR per year VPS at lowendspirit or i-83, and be at ease, knowing that whatever you do, it's risk-free and you won't get burned.

Really, are you so cheap that you can't afford 2 EUR per year? I mean how do you even have a computer? Do you have a place to sleep today?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

The weird thing is that the micro is their introductory service yet it's so crippled it's not representative of their other services.

In general, I find both EC2 and Azure to be high quality services with tons of features but on a performance basis, they compared to other VPS services, and certainly compared to dedicated servers. All depends on what you want - for some scenarios, EC2 is a dream, for others, it's not that right choice.

• @rm_ said:

sin said: Well you can't go wrong with free!

Meanwhile, you could just get some 2-3 EUR per year VPS at lowendspirit or i-83, and be at ease, knowing that whatever you do, it's risk-free and you won't get burned.

Really, are you so cheap that you can't afford 2 EUR per year? I mean how do you even have a computer? Do you have a place to sleep today?

+1, are you really unable to spend just 2 EUR?

Check this out if you need something even cheaper than 2 EUR (that has a dedicated IP)... but seriously, I'm not sure how you're even online right now if you can't afford 2 EUR.

Is 2 EUR such a big investment? I don't think so. Give it a try. If you're really on a tight budget I don't think it's worth the time and effort (and trouble) trying out AWS.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

I still got 50$ Credit because of Github, Eh to Risky.

• sinsin Member
    edited May 2016

rm_ said: Really, are you so cheap that you can't afford 2 EUR per year? I mean how do you even have a computer? Do you have a place to sleep today?

Where did I say I couldn't afford 2 EUR per year? The OP asked if the free tier was worth it to try and I replied then you went off on some random tangent. Chill out.

• I used 6 windows free eligible instances for about a week and got charged with 160$ for me not reading the limits in terms of bandwidth and running time -_-

• msg7086msg7086 Member

Please read here first.

• sin said: Where did I say I couldn't afford 2 EUR per year? The OP asked if the free tier was worth it to try and I replied then you went off on some random tangent. Chill out.

I have to agree with him here. :)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2016

sin said: and I replied then you went off

Droidzone said: I have to agree with him

Well I hoped you would realize that my reply wasn't directed only at you, but at anyone considering this service, including the OP.