Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New LEB Rule: CPU Clock Rate e.g (2 - E3-1230v2 Cores @ 100%) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New LEB Rule: CPU Clock Rate e.g (2 - E3-1230v2 Cores @ 100%)

2»

Comments

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited February 2013

@Kris said: Shouldn't you write your own offer post / server stats? Admin here isn't your low end secretary. Or did they do this in the past?

LEB was founded on LowEndAdmin putting in the research and giving his own points and thoughts on providers, instead of been told what to write. Just look back through the LEB posts back to when LEA ran things, you will instantly notice the difference.

You would submit the basics, package specs and price etc. Then LEA would give his thoughts and talk about the history or warnings he found on the company etc.

Basically you would submit an offer and not know what was going to be posted, hell LEA didn't even reply, it was more like a raffle. Now a provider submits an offer and one of the writers re-words it and posts it. Its just got no personal touch anymore.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited February 2013

@GetKVM_Ash said: There seems to be this vibe that providers NEED LEB, when in reality without providers, LEB wouldn't even be here

I must correct you here :) More than a year this community didn't depend from providers mass promoting their business but mostly by ordinary people, techs, hobbists, etc... looking for cheap hosting and sharing ideas, knowledge, hosts discoveries, etc... It was actually very nice, respectful community without hosts competing, bickering and forming market around this site. Things changes so drasticly that hosts need to come here, often circlejerk, come our wthh new and new promotional deals to be featured here instead being featued as "discovery" of board administration or/and ordinary community members. So yes, LEB/LET growth started before masses start to send promotional codes to be listed here :)

But this what I am saying don't object to every your point. Infact I mostly agree with your post. Nowaday it's needed to do too much from host side in order to be feauted here. If host don't write offer, don't packet it properly with every details, throw in some promotinal code, etc, etc... it won't appear here. It's not about listing LEB hosts but about listing hosts who send deals created specifily for this page.

@GetKVM_Ash said: Explain to me how LowEndBox can post provider listings and reviews, without providers.

He found them on internet (wht, google, community contribution mails..). I found some and sent it as suggestion. You found some and send it as suggestion. That's how things worked. We didn't need masses of providers with as @sleddog said price-driven LEB concept to post own ads.

• @GetKVM_Ash said: Just look back through the LEB posts back to when LEA ran things, you will instantly notice the difference.

Got it. Sorry.

I got here right around the time things switched hands / there was a quiet yet angry uprising about the admin leaving. Most posts on LEB I've seen just look like nicely formatted WHT posts with a screenshot.

Maybe a ServerBear or benchmark could be attached to give some further input without as much time being put in.

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited February 2013

@Spirit said: He found them on internet (wht, google, community controbition mails..). I found some and sent it suggestion. You found some and send as suggestion.

Again, how can he find them without the providers existing, this is my point. Now days we're made to feel like LEB are doing us a favor. And back then LEA wasn't making a fortune on advertising like LEB are now.

I don't expect you to understand since your not the one posting offers.

• DamianDamian Member
    edited February 2013

@Kris said: Maybe a ServerBear or benchmark could be attached to give some further input without as much time being put in.

I've started doing this, but it doesn't seem to get a lot of usage; people seem to ignore it and run their own benchmarks. I'd like to use ServerBear for more things, but we're not cool enough.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited February 2013

@GetKVM_Ash you mix low budget hosts existence with hosts price-driven LEB concept circlejerking at LEB/LET.
    Point was that this community didn't depend from hosts doing here anything at all. I mostly don't even object you but you're saying once that this community wouldn't exist without hosts here (it existed) but in same time you're saying that hosts didn't need to be here (which is correct). This community existed without hosts (here doing any work at all) - is my argument. It didn't depend from new and new and new coupon codes created specificly for LEB.

I know and use few (still here unknown) LEB hosts. They had a chance to be featured at LEB in past. LEA would feature them without them sending offer or even be awared of this place (you see - we're talking about same thing). But now if they don't come here, don't write PROPER offer, etc, etc... no one will feature them. And that sux for community because with this new LEB concept it's just about promo codes (from same and same..) hosts without much refreshing.

• @djvdorp lol of course i'm back :D

there's a lot things to do here. new location (physically), new room, new family, but still the same old me with my old laptop + broken battery :(

• @GetKVM_Ash said: @sleddog i usually agree with most things you say, but that's just BS lol.

"Low End Box - Cheap VPS Hosting Providers Listing & Reviews"

Explain to me how LowEndBox can post provider listings and reviews, without providers.

That's the "price-driven LEB concept" I referred to. It wasn't always that way. In the beginning it was about making best use of scarce resources -- where "resources" mean RAM, CPU, etc.

Four years ago a few providers started offering low-resource boxes for a low price, opening the door for hobbyists and savvy admins who wanted root access, but who didn't want to pay $40 or $50/month for a "big" VPS from one of the established providers. LEB was about how to use those "lowend" boxes, and LEA was searching out the providers who offered them.

Four years ago we were learning and doing what we could with 64 MB (for $6/month). Since then, costs for providers have decreased and virtualization technologies have advanced. Four years later, it would be realistic I think to expect a 256MB (4x increase) or even a 512MB (8x increase) VPS for that $6/month.

But then came The Change. A lowend box was no longer defined by its resources, but instead by its price (and the word "Cheap" entered the LEB website title). Given a ceiling of $7, irresponsible providers began cramming in more and more resources and started the RAM War, and the RAM War became the focus of LEB. The result is a 3GB $7/month VPS -- a 48x increase in resources from four years ago. That's completely unrealistic growth IMO, and pretending it's feasible only hurts the industry.

• Honestly, I don't like the idea of a Clock Rate requirement.

I would LOVE to see some sort of standardized measurement used to say how many uops per second, although that could easily be forged.

• erhwegesrgsrerhwegesrgsr Member
    edited February 2013

@sleddog said: lowend box was no longer defined by its resources, but instead by its price

@sleddog said: Four years ago a few providers started offering low-resource boxes for a low price, opening the door for hobbyists and savvy admins who wanted root access, but who didn't want to pay $40 or $50/month

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

IMO knowing the CPU model and number of cores is enough.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

I agree with many of the views posted here and here's my 2cents in the debate.

With the current flow of offers, they need to be pre-written. There's no time to do all that digging about a provider when there's a need to keep up posting at least 1 offer/day.

I think that is one of the main reasons for the quality and that the structure of the posts are the same.

• @MikHo said: I think that is one of the main reasons for the quality and that the structure of the posts are the same.

Agreed, when LEA was around, it was more about quality than quantity, indeed I see a lot more posting on LEB these days and a lot more offers on LET, but how many of them are good offer that worth me to buy?

I think if you are just looking for the number of posts, there is no way LET/LEB could beat WHT, since WHT has been around for like...forever...the only reason why people love LET/LEB is really because it is a smaller community with more quality, which, I have to say, is slowly fading these days...

There's only so much time you can put in this site, we all have an alternative life outside of LEB/LET and I would be the first in line to shake the hand of @Liam to thank him for the time and effort he puts in this site.

The only way to keep up the number of posts on the frontpage AND have the persoanl touch as before is to have more writers.

The solution is usually simple, it's the way to the finish line thats hard.

• @MikHo said: keep up the number of posts on the frontpage AND have the persoanl touch

Or probably less posts but from providers who are not likely to be ended up in deadpool in a few months?

• @MikHo said: There's only so much time you can put in this site, we all have an alternative life outside of LEB/LET and I would be the first in line to shake the hand of @Liam to thank him for the time and effort he puts in this site.

As far as I know @Liam is doing volunteer work, where does all the money go from all of the advertisements? If there was a single person getting paid $$ to do work as pretty much their full time job their life would start after their work hours, and we would have better quality etc...

@Corey said: As far as I know @Liam is doing volunteer work, where does all the money go from all of the advertisements?

to the current owner I guess.....

• @Damian said: I've started doing this, but it doesn't seem to get a lot of usage; people seem to ignore it and run their own benchmarks. I'd like to use ServerBear for more things, but we're not cool enough.

Maybe generate SpeedTest-esque graphs upon completion of a report?

Bar graphs / fancy numbers go a long way.

A generated .png with the vital / most crucial info would go a long way with getting it more seen. I'm sure forum kids would even start using it in their signatures.

Add a textbox with an embed script like Imgur does for forums, etc. that's linked to the full report - should start seeing a lot more use.

PS: Thanks for a great service, even if it did mean stopping my own review / benchmark site because yours blew my blog out of the water :)

• @MikHo said: to the current owner I guess.....

I feel that if you are doing something other than 'moderating' forums or something... you should be getting paid.

• bnmklbnmkl Member
    edited February 2013

After considering peoples comments, what about a format of:

[Number Of Cores] [CPU Model] Cores @ [Percentage]

@Corey said: I feel that if you are doing something other than 'moderating' forums or something... you should be getting paid.

Thats for the owner to decide :)