Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question about cached memory
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Question about cached memory

NoCommentNoComment Member
edited May 2016 in Help

Hey guys, I recently got a new vps and tried installing the LEMP stack on it, and it seems like the ram usage is unusually high. I got this from free -m:

total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached

Mem: 4096 1279 2816 69 0 1249

-/+ buffers/cache: 29 4066

Swap: 0 0 0

Is it normal to use that much ram on caching? My vps has literally nothing on it -- only nginx, php-fpm and mysql and apparently I'm only using 715.47 MB of the hard disk. I find it hard to believe that the amount of ram used on caching is higher than everything that's on the disk itself. I am concerned because I have two other VPSes, and both don't nearly use as much ram as this one. My vps with a relatively empty wordpress site and 0 visitors uses has 77 mb of cached memory (this vps has a total of 2gb ram), while my other vps with a wordpress site with 1k visitors daily using redis, fastcgi and other things like fail2ban and some server monitoring module has only 229 mb of cached memory(this vps has a total of 512mb ram).

In short, I'm asking if I have possibly done anything wrong, and if no, did I buy a bad vps?

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

That's normal. The OS uses all of the RAM for caching (performance) and gives it up as processes need it.

You will find this informative: http://www.linuxatemyram.com

• Thanks, the vps provider kinda said the same thing (and same link) to me but I wanted to be sure :P

But, how is it possible for more ram to be used on disk caching than the total amount of disk space I am using?

• NickMNickM Member

smallbibi said: But, how is it possible for more ram to be used on disk caching than the total amount of disk space I am using?

Just because the RAM is allocated for that purpose doesn't mean that it's actually being used for it.