Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buyvm - VPS seems down again
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Buyvm - VPS seems down again

MonsteRMonsteR Member
edited February 2013 in General

Hi,
Just wondering any know what is happening to buyvm now? As My vps with them and their main site seems down.
With all the recent events from FH, But sure what the issue is, Does anyone know?

Comments

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

Everything looks up:

http://buyvmstatus.com/

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Only the awk side is getting a rump ride, the rest is fine.

Someones pissed off they couldn't drop a client behind our filtering so they went after the router at awknet itself :P

Been dealing with minecraft kids getting 10gbit+ UDP floods (according to justin) all week.

Francisco

• MonsteRMonsteR Member
    edited February 2013

@Francisco said: been dealing with minecraft kids getting 10gbit+ UDP floods (according to justin) all week.

Ahh thanks, Probably from that post a few weeks ago were minecraft kids were using your VPS as filters for Minecraft.

@MonsteR said: Ahh thanks, Probably from that post a few weeks ago were minecraft kids were using your VPS as filters for Minecraft.

MC's are simply becoming a huge target and it's no single client getting wacked.

Alas, i'll have to double up the capacity we have at awk since it's maxing out the gbit we have for TCP filtering.

UDP still tanks no sweat but Justin isn't going to eat 12Gbit/sec all day long for the public prices he charges.

Francisco

• apollo15apollo15 Member
    edited February 2013

I hope he has some killer transit deals, otherwise he may be pissed off :P

@apollo15 said: I hope he has some killer transit deals, otherwise he may be pissed off :P

He has 60 gigs or whatever in LAX.

I know he has a big client that he tanks ~20gigs for and the rest is for reg customers.

Francisco

• You know, I am getting sick of these buyvm is down threads. Can we make them one giant BuyVM downtime thread?

@Jack said: @TheHackBox they aren't having that many issues so why would we need a giant thread?

They've had 2 power outages? and a few awknet blips for ~15mins or so.

The power stuff is resolved, DDOS on DDOS protected ip's is kind of an expected thing.

As mentioned in antoher thread, I already asked awknet for a 2nd gig port so I can chew technically 2x the TCP.

I'll likely document and enforce certain limits we'll deal with for TCP before we'll apply a temp nullroute.

Probably something around 750,000 <> 1M pps of SSYN. Not sure yet, I've left it to Aldryic & Anthony to decide.

I'll have to handle the code side of things.

Francisco

• @TheHackBox said: You know, I am getting sick of these buyvm is down threads. Can we make them one giant BuyVM downtime thread?

This would be one of those unnecessary overreactions you refer to in your sig.

• @Soylent said: This would be one of those unnecessary overreactions you refer to in your sig.

Are you saying I'm not allowed to have an unnecessary overreaction too?

• Minecraft is a computer game right, what's the point of ddosing a game server? Just curious, I haven't played a computer game since the 90s. Don't recall anyone hitting any servers back then (just in-game hacks).

• @Xei said: what's the point of ddosing a game server?

So other people can't play? It's like when someone takes your toy you want to take it back. That's how they think.

• mhuang2286mhuang2286 Member
    edited February 2013

@Xei said: Minecraft is a computer game right, what's the point of ddosing a game server? Just curious, I haven't played a computer game since the 90s. Don't recall anyone hitting any servers back then (just in-game hacks).

Kids get mad when they get banned from a server and want to feel superior, so they go to hackforums.net and pay $5 for booter.

• @concerto49 said: So other people can't play? It's like when someone takes your toy you want to take it back. That's how they think.

It is more like those kid fights "Momma, if I can't play, he can't play too ".

edited February 2013

@mhuang2286 said: Kids get mad when they get banned from a server and want to feel superior, so they go to hackforums.net and pay $5 for booter.

It isn't any of the $5 booters I can tell you that.

I'm figuring there's paid hits going around. Someone linked me to a pretty interesting thread on hackforums that kind of backed this idea up.

The paid booters are all in the ~300K pps range.

Francisco

• Thanks! I understand better now. If it was me, I'd just use another server if I got booted... man these kids today are vicious! Surprised they can get 10Gbps of packets sent on the cheap, not to mention it sounds far too excessive. :P

• RalliasRallias Member
    edited February 2013

@mhuang2286 said: so they go to hackforums.net and pay $5 for booter.

Trust me, NOTHING on HF can output 10gbit/s. NOTHING. The best I've seen in action is ~2.5 gbit/s on a $60 booter advertising 4gbit/s.

@Francisco said: The paid booters are all in the ~300K pps range.

For what it's really worth, most of them use all the same botnet.

@Rallias said: Trust me, NOTHING on HF can output 10gbit/s. NOTHING. The best I've seen in action is ~2.5 gbit/s on a $60 booter advertising 4gbit/s.

Right.

A lot of them rent boxes or use the atomicAPI to dish it out so yea, they're all around the same strength. Ecatel and a few others do sell unmetered 100mbit boxes with spoofing enabled so ~160k pps per box is about right.

Francisco