Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to stop DDOS attack?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to stop DDOS attack?

aiuraiur Member
edited February 2013 in General

Help, gents,

My VPS is under DDOS attack and I have no clue who did this. I'm keeping the VPS for personal blogging. A lot ips are accessing port 53.
Are there anything I can do to stop the attack?

Thanks!

Comments

• You should contact your provider. They're the one that can work with you to get it resolved.

• Your options vary depending on the size of the attack. Do you have an exact or estimated size of how large the DDos attack is?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Dos = easy. Ddos = less easy. Second opinion here says contact provider ASAP.

• I assume attacking like that is a crime,why not contact the authorities in your country and file a case ?get some proof form your host .

• 53 = DNS. Could be a few things. Making a ton of dns requests.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Block the 53 port and use external DNS services? Maybe your server is used for reflected dns attacks?

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited February 2013

netstat -plan | grep :53 | awk {'print $5'} | cut -d: -f 1 | sort | uniq -c | sort -nk 1

You can replace :53 with any port you wish to know connections to. This is very handy if you think someone is making an abusive amount of connections to your web server (ports 80 or 443). It will make a list of ip addresses accessing the port and show you in ascending order the amount of connections each ip is making. Take the ip addresses with the highest amount of connections and block it using iptables as follows:

iptables -I INPUT -s (ip) -j DROP

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

• It sounds like a DNS reflection attack.

Double check that your server doesn't have bind installed on it, and if it does and you DON'T need it uninstall it with apt-get remove bind9. Not sure what the removal for other OS is.

• http://deflate.medialayer.com/

but get advice from upstream

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@Mun said: Double check that your server doesn't have bind installed on it, and if it does and you DON'T need it uninstall it with apt-get remove bind9. Not sure what the removal for other OS is.

sudo yum remove bind should work on RHEL.

• Why do hosts even install bind9 by default on there images? It is just a way to create a problem for everyone down the line. If a customer wants it, let them install it.

@auir (cont. from my post before) Technically you aren't getting 'DDOS' rather you are currently having you server act in a larger attack against another host. At least from someone sending massive traffic to port 53.

• @curtisg said: I'll give you the best advice...

rm -rf /

??What?? Don't do what he says ^ he litterally just told you to run a command to remove all files on the server.

• @curtisg That stuff ain't even funny anymore dude.

• @BradND said: That stuff ain't even funny anymore dude.

Don't care. He wants to know how to stop for real?
    I know of ddos deflate, otherwise get staminus/blacklotus protection.

• @curtisg said: @BradND said: That stuff ain't even funny anymore dude.

Don't care. He wants to know how to stop for real?

I know of ddos deflate, otherwise get staminus/blacklotus protection.

If you don't care then why did you post? Why don't you leave, as it is more along the lines of not "caring".

• @Mun said: Why don't you leave, as it is more along the lines of not "caring".

I gave him advice, its very helpful.

• @curtisg said: @Mun said: Why don't you leave, as it is more along the lines of not "caring".

I gave him advice, its very helpful.

Then why don't you use that helpful advice on your servers. Go, I'm waiting.

• @curtisg said: I'll give you the best advice...

rm -rf /

You claim to want to be a provider and you seriously came here and said this? Come on dude, you say it jokingly, but you watch... someone will do it... are you going to help them fix and restore everything?

(facepalm)

Another reason I would never buy a product from you.

sigh

• Have a break. We all know that Curtisg has some kind of psychological disorder.

• @Amitz said: psychological disorder.

If I did(which I may OR may not)...

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited February 2013

You do not "do" a psychological disorder. You have one.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Mun said: Why do hosts even install bind9 by default on there images

Even if they don't, debian often does. If you do this on a virgin Debian 6 box:

• add dot-deb
    • apt-get update
    • apt-get upgrade

...then you'll end up with bind running. Samba, too! Gee thanks.

• @raindog308 said: virgin Debian

well that's another way to say "vanilla", haha

• @raindog308 said: dot-deb

People use this?

• @raindog308 said: @Mun said: Why do hosts even install bind9 by default on there images

Even if they don't, debian often does. If you do this on a virgin Debian 6 box:

add dot-deb

apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade
    ...then you'll end up with bind running. Samba, too! Gee thanks.

Then afterwards do us all a favor and apt-get remove smbfs samba bind9

I mean most users are going to be too stupid to understand the fact that they are there, and frankly even to this thread they are then exploited into being a DNS reflection attack.

• @murky said: People use this?

Its incredibly useful.

• eLohkCalbeLohkCalb Member
    edited February 2013

@curtisg said: I gave him advice, its very helpful.

Talking about that, IMO shutdown command is sufficient, and you don't need to rm at all.

• For all the gentlemen above, thanks all for your help, I added firewall and learned a lot!!!
    Thanks all.

However, I found myself was tricked by the VPS provider. I believe my VPS was down because of someone is abusing in the node rather than someone is attacking my ip. The problem will be solved by leaving this provider. They did not tell the truth and they are not monitoring the node performance well.

At everyday from 4pm-8pm EST my VPS will have a very very low io value (<5mb/s) and Uptimerobot will alert me of ping lost. If there are someone attacking me, my VPS should be slow for 24 hrs rather than just in the afternoon...

Thanks again for your advices, appreciate all.

• @TheLinuxBug said: Another reason I would never buy a product from you.

+1

• xBytezxBytez Member
    edited February 2013
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda

(replace sda with your harddrive)