Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AnyNode Closes Down
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

AnyNode Closes Down

ricardoricardo Member
edited May 2016 in Providers

From email received an hour ago.

Due to lack of resources and the departure of administrative staff, I can no longer maintain the services offered by our company. In order to ensure all users have ample time to migrate their services I will be keeping equipment active and online until June 30th, 2016. After that date all VPS instances will be shut down permanently and data will be destroyed without warning. As a part of our apology for cancellation of your service, outstanding invoices dated May or June can be ignored, your instance(s) will stay online until the termination date. Please ensure your data is migrated before then.

Any customer with a renewal period ending past that date may be eligible for a partial refund, depending on type of service. If you have any other questions please contact the helpdesk.

Comments

• MunMun Member

Thanked by 1scaveney
  • RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

It looked a nice provider, met them from my early days here, sad news.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Best of luck to Seamus and his team :)

Francisco

Thanked by 1Safehousecloud
  • TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited May 2016

No way?! :(

One of the few yearly servers I actually religiously renewed, because it just worked.

This is a sad day. Another stable, well maintained service bites the dust.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • dedicadosdedicados Member
    edited May 2016

I only know the name Seamus from this:

• cociucociu Member

this was located in DE ?

• cociu said: this was located in DE ?

https://www.anynode.net/

Located in USA, I believe Michigan.

Cheers!

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

I can't really understand why would someone terminate an entire company, rather than sell it.

• ZappieZappie Member, Host Rep, LIR

AlexBarakov said: I can't really understand why would someone terminate an entire company, rather than sell it.

Maybe pride? Some dont want to see their baby in the wrong hands being mistreated and rather call it quits gracefully instead (my guess)

• cociucociu Member

Zappie said: Maybe pride? Some dont want to see their baby in the wrong hands being mistreated and rather call it quits gracefully instead (my guess)

i have many respect of all this providers who tell to his clients and give time to do backups instead of power down withowt any notice. Its a sadly situation but is more correct in this way. All my respect really.

Thanked by 2ATHK srvrpro
  • lazytlazyt Member

If they sell it you'll see a few dozen threads on here about them violating privacy and so on. Less flack and crap to just shut the doors. Besides, look at most of the threads on here about services that have been sold.

• @AlexBarakov said:
    I can't really understand why would someone terminate an entire company, rather than sell it.

Perhaps it has little or no value.

• weren't these the guys in detroit? I remember just looking into hosting there not long ago, damn

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2016

@AlexBarakov said:

Personally I wouldn't want something of mine to fall in the wrong hands (i.e. greedy, careless), I'd assume they are similar. From experience of a company I previously worked at, it was sold and given to the wrong people, I saw things go downhill and nothing was changed to 'progress' the business. Sad days.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Anyone know another good host in Michigan, USA with KVM services?

Cheers!

• Why didn't he try to sell the company / business? If it wasn't able to be sold (lack of interest) then he's done the right thing and letting clients have time to migrate. Good luck to them.

• samblingsambling Member
    edited May 2016

That's what a responsible host would do:

• Offer refunds for unused service.
    • Give multiple weeks notice in advance for clients to find a new provider.

+1 =) Things don't always work out but definitely respect providers like this.

Thanked by 1zafouhar
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@TheLinuxBug said:
    Anyone know another good host in Michigan, USA with KVM services?

Cheers!

Probably going to be hard, it's an expensive market to find colocation in.

Francisco

• TheLinuxBug said: Anyone know another good host in Michigan, USA with KVM services?

>
    Srvis used to advertise a bit (Detroit based)... https://srvis.com/vm.php. They say KVM is coming soon. Perhaps hit them up?

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited May 2016

sambling said: > Srvis used to advertise a bit (Detroit based)... https://srvis.com/vm.php. They say KVM is coming soon. Perhaps hit them up?

This is actually ErrantWeb's new name and back in the day they used to offer really good KVM servers but then randomly decided they didn't want to do KVM and canceled all KVM services and started doing OpenVZ. For my purposes OpenVZ will not work. I had services with them up until they did this and decided I really didn't want to do business with a company that would just drop an entire product line like that and try to force customers on to something worse, instead of something better (to me KVM -> OpenVZ is completely backwards).

Honestly, back when it was ErrantWeb and they had their KVM offerings they did really well, then they decided to ditch their best product line and rename 'Srvis' (Which to me is an awful name to change to, it seems to me to be like the 'Evorack' to 'Rackulous' transformation, where the name changed and the service offerings became mediocre at best).

@Francisco I realize it will be tough, it seems there is only one other that offers KVM that I can find near that area, A2 hosting, but of course they want $15/month for their 'Cloud' with the smallest instance, I am not sure I want a server there quite that bad.

Cheers!

Thanked by 1sambling
  • @TheLinuxBug said:

sambling said: > Srvis used to advertise a bit (Detroit based)... https://srvis.com/vm.php. They say KVM is coming soon. Perhaps hit them up?

This is actually ErrantWeb's new name and back in the day they used to offer really good KVM servers but then randomly decided they didn't want to do KVM and canceled all KVM services and started doing OpenVZ. For my purposes OpenVZ will not work. I had services with them up until they did this and decided I really didn't want to do business with a company that would just drop an entire product line like that and try to force customers on to something worse, instead of something better (to me KVM -> OpenVZ is completely backwards).

Honestly, back when it was ErrantWeb and they had their KVM offerings they did really well, then they decided to ditch their best product line and rename 'Srvis' (Which to me is an awful name to change to, it seems to me to be like the 'Evorack' to 'Rackulous' transformation, where the name changed and the service offerings became mediocre at best).

@Francisco I realize it will be tough, it seems there is only one other that offers KVM that I can find near that area, A2 hosting, but of course they want $15/month for their 'Cloud' with the smallest instance, I am not sure I want a server there quite that bad.

Cheers!

Hello,

Sadly our Chicago location had to close for a number of reasons. We are still around however and plan to bring new products online within the coming year.

I will make this poll to judge how much use we would get out of adding KVM to our service line in Detroit.

http://www.polljunkie.com/poll/kioinn/kvm-detroit

If anyone is interested in KVM services please vote here, as it will help us determine to or not to make the investment in bringing new nodes online for this capability.

If you would like you can also share in the comments on the poll the type of plan you are looking for and the cost.

Best Regards,
    Travis
    [email protected]

• ssiw610ssiw610 Member

Aw sad to see this happen! Good provider i'm sure! And owner is smart intelligent guy! best wishes!

• @ssiw610 said:
    Aw sad to see this happen! Good provider i'm sure! And owner is smart intelligent guy! best wishes!

You must be working on your post count...right?

Thanked by 1zafouhar
  • ssiw610ssiw610 Member

No i know the owner!