Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cloud providers pricing vs. Others
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cloud providers pricing vs. Others

( new here, sorry if it is out of scope )

Looking at cloud offers (gloud, amazon, etc..) but having always hosted on online.net.

Understanding it might not be the same game, but, for a given amount of resources, i'm surprised how expensive big players are (gcloud, amazon, etc). For general understanding, what makes those that expensive; or online.net/ovh (they're the ones i know) that cheap ?

Comments

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Redundency, resilient storage and speed makes them more expensive?

• The above are done on a huge scale, with very limited support and hands on from their side. Automation is their key.

Where the other big names aws/azure e.t.c have more of a support network around them, guranteed response times. Part of a larger package such as a Microsoft EA.

Designed for users that require all of the above, and their business and profit are essential to them.

• @AshleyUk said:
    The above are done on a huge scale, with very limited support and hands on from their side. Automation is their key.

Where the other big names aws/azure e.t.c have more of a support network around them, guranteed response times. Part of a larger package such as a Microsoft EA.

Designed for users that require all of the above, and their business and profit are essential to them.

Thanks for your reply;

I'm not serving petabytes every month yet, but still, I have in mind to get a bit rid of those maintenance tasks / responsibilities. I would not drop perf over this 'issue' though; but you're saying they got a better networking right ? Having that in mind, would you advise to look further into those solutions ?

I might not understand what you mean by "huge scale" and "automation" maybe

• RadWebHostingRadWebHosting Member, Host Rep

@Ben75011 said:
    I'm not serving petabytes every month yet, but still, I have in mind to get a bit rid of those maintenance tasks / responsibilities. I would not drop perf over this 'issue' though; but you're saying they got a better networking right ? Having that in mind, would you advise to look further into those solutions ?

What will you be running on the cloud server? There are a lot of factors in determining which cloud server provider is best. Also, there are a lot of providers who sell VMware VPS and call them cloud vps or cloud servers, so try to make that distinction, unless a VPS would serve your project needs better.

• fitvpnfitvpn Member

Everything are the same, cloud only marketing word.

• @RadWebHosting said:

@Ben75011 said:

What will you be running on the cloud server? There are a lot of factors in determining which cloud server provider is best. Also, there are a lot of providers who sell VMware VPS and call them cloud vps or cloud servers, so try to make that distinction, unless a VPS would serve your project needs better.

I run roughly 30 websites, number which might increase over time, so it is basically hosting and storage (code/db/medias) and managing domains/certs.

I know how to run a dedicated server fairly well (I've been doing this for 6/7 years), securing it correctly, handling correct amount of traffic, etc… never had any major problems. But I'd be looking to get rid of the responsibility of handling it all. I can shamely admit i'd considered heroku, but let's say their pricing is a big joke

@fitvpn it sure is marketing ! But it's another world for the pricing (do this pay the marketing then ?). I was looking to get feedback about the eventual payoff to use those

• LiteServerLiteServer Member, Patron Provider

Be aware that "Cloud" doesn't mean High Availability, something that most people would think.
    Cloud hosting is a real marketing term these days.
    Most cloud hosting offers are just regular VPS/Shared setups.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Business models have more of an impact on pricing than costs and resources do. Some companies charge a 10000% markup for maximum profits while other companies might charge only a 5% markup and play the quantity over quality game (more lower paying clients rather than lesser higher paying clients). It's all about the business plan created for that company. You also aren't comparing apples to apples since Google is an advertising company and Amazon is a commerce company while Online.net is an online service company so comparing prices makes little sense.

• @KuJoe i'm not really comparing, just trying to understand what this game is all about - based on the fact that both would answer my needs, the latter (over)promoting better service

@liteserver i wouldn't trust any others than amazon/google infrastructure; those might provide simple VPS/Shared setups equivalents on small instances you'd say ?

• sinsin Member

Amazon does offer smaller instances now, not to mention they give you a free-tier pricing for the first year. I haven't used them that much but I've seen others say that it's their bandwidth that is the pricey part.