Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Server IP detections
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Server IP detections

alterarchalterarch Member
edited February 2013 in General

Hey guys,

I have a BuyVM server with @Francisco and for some reason or another, no-matter what I do (SSH tunneling, OpenVPN, Squid procy etc) most, but not all, USA based sites detect it. I think this means my server IP address is blacklisted since this has been an issue since I got it. I have been able to SSH tunnel successfully through other servers with other providers and even another server with BuyVM. I am not sure if my container has an error or it is just an IP thing. Hoping someone else has had the same problem and knows a fix.

Thanks!

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

"detect it" ?

You're welcome to ticket with what issue you're having and a way to replicate it and we'll see :)

Francisco

• @Francisco Yeah, sites like Hulu will come up with an anonymous proxy error. The last invoice number I used to pay for it was #62227.

• The obvious question: are you running an anonymous / open proxy?

edited February 2013

@alterarch said: @Francisco Yeah, sites like Hulu will come up with an anonymous proxy error. The last invoice number I used to pay for it was #62227.

Ticket with a screenshot of the error and we'll look into it :)

It's possible the IP is reassigned from a client that may very well have had an open proxy. Hulu and such are usually quite reasonable about this and clear things up.

Francisco

• Yeah, sites like Hulu will come up with an anonymous proxy error.

This are often done by realtime lookup - i.e. connect to your IP to ports like 3128 or 1080. If you've have a squid for example listening on default 3128 port and it's not private (i.e. it can answer requests from any IP), then you'll get blocked.

• @Francisco The ticket is #552710. I brought it up with support before but they thought it was a configuration error on my end.

I'll check into it with them in the morning then :)

As mentioned, make sure you don't have common ports open as it's very likely they're pentesting.

Francisco

• This are often done by realtime lookup - i.e. connect to your IP to ports like 3128 or 1080. If you've have a squid for example listening on default 3128 port and it's not private (i.e. it can answer requests from any IP), then you'll get blocked.

Problem is, that it seems to be happening on a few sites and not just Hulu, which makes me think the previous IP owner was an abuser and got the IP added to a database. This fails even through a fresh install of ubuntu with only SSH tunnelling, which I have been able to complete successfully on other servers :).