Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Root password correct but not?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Root password correct but not?

shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep
edited February 2013 in General

Newly generated virtual private servers on one of our nodes (the other three seem fine) are unable to login, as root, even wit the correct password. Happening with four templates, two different VPS. I've tried fixes suggested in forums all over the web and even had somebody else look at it - no luck :(

Comments

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Yeah I fired off a ticket to them.

But perhaps somebody here has seen the issue and remembers how to resolve it.

Nope. even "password" doesn't work.

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited February 2013

Non alphanumeric characters in the password? Edit: beaten.

nope. our WHMCS is set to generate random alphanumeric root passwords. Those don't seem to be working on VPS on this node, neither when we change it in SolusVM to just password it still doesn't work.

edited February 2013

@Jack
    197 18 running 192.95.49.164 testreseller.shovehost.com
    200 12 running 192.95.49.165 three.boxedns.net
    202 17 running - remote.allanmacgregor.com

And it's that last VPS having issues. SolusVM claims its IP is 192.95.49.164 but it's clearly being used by something else.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Password with too complex characters being chosen at signup and causing solusvm to not provision the vps correctly.

@jarland read thread

Are you certain that no complex characters are being entered at signup? Changing it afterward doesn't matter, once it's off it's off.

edited February 2013

I've never seen nor heard of solusvm trying to use the same IP twice from the pool.

Thank you to allow who helped. You are all faster than @soluslabs in asssisting me lol. This is now resolved.

Permanently or just for that vps? I'd still make sure soluslabs has a look at it.

@jarland already sent them ticket, linked them here and included some more private info.

• It may be handy to include the solution for anyone else who might face this problem in the future

edited February 2013

The solution is:
    1. Run "vzlist" on the host node.
    2. Check the CTID that is having issues, it will have a - instead of an IP.
    3. Look in SolusVM to see the IP it should have.
    4. In the node delete the CTID that is actually having problem like "vzctl stop XXX" then
    5. "vzctl destroy XXX" then on the new VPS's CTID "vzctl set XYZ --ipadd The.I.P.Address --save" then it will be fixed.

@Zen hard to do when you only have 1 IP left on the server.

Well the "new" IP would be the last one on the server in that case ;)

Sorry, I meant that the last empty IP was .164 which was then assigned.

edited February 2013

So you didn't have another IP to assign to container 202 and it provisioned anyway?

Correct.

A bit more buggy than I picked up on then. Hope they get that fixed up for you.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

@shovenose put the correct amount of stock :)

• @shovenose You may want to remove your vzlist info, it shows customer's IPs and hostnames.