Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Inexpensive Xen/KVM VPS with routed /64 IPv6 prefix (US East preferred)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Inexpensive Xen/KVM VPS with routed /64 IPv6 prefix (US East preferred)

Hi,

I am looking for an inexpensive VPS with a routed /64 (or better) IPv6 prefix. Either Xen/KVM would be fine and disk space is not a determining factor. I would prefer something on the US east coast. A single public IPv4 should be fine - no NAT.

The intended end use is a personal MX gateway + IPv6 IPSec VPN. Minimal disk space requirements (<5GB), but full disk encryption is a must have.

My target budget is $20-$30/yr with annual payment.

I have reached out directly to a couple of providers that offer IPv6 and was surprised to find that even those that provision a /64 prefix do not support a routed IPv6.

Thanks.

Comments

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

A routed subnet is not impossible but difficult to do securely for a VPS.

I'd suggest you to use NAT for IPv6, else you're going to have a bad time. And maybe consider a bigger budget if you need this VPS to be reliable.

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

@Nyr said:
    A routed subnet is not impossible but difficult to do securely for a VPS.

May I ask why it is difficult to do securely? I've done it for our OpenVZ package just using veth device and ebtables to filter traffic based on MAC, but maybe I missed something.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2016

Nyr said: A routed subnet is not impossible but difficult to do securely for a VPS.

Wat. A routed subnet is not much different security-wise than a non-routed one (in fact it's somewhat better).

ipasces6 said: even those that provision a /64 prefix do not support a routed IPv6.

You can in effect turn a non-routed subnet into a routed one with ndppd.

As for ones which provide routed subnets without the need for such hacks, I know that Linode does.

Thanked by 1ipasces6
    edited May 2016

@exception0x876 @rm_

I was under the assumption that routing the /64 as a /64 is not possible due to the way ebtables prevents IP stealing. So either you are limited individual /128s (even if the whole subnet is available to the customer) of you don't have protection.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Nyr said: I was under the assumption that routing the /64 as a /64 is not possible due to the way ebtables prevents IP stealing. So either you are limited individual /128s (even if the whole subnet is available to the customer) of you don't have protection.

With routed subnets the client gets one IP from a shared network, e.g. 2001:db8:sharednet::123, then the provider sets up their router in effect similar to:

ip -6 route add 2001:db8:customernet::/64 via 2001:db8:sharednet::123

So the only place where the ISP has to apply stealing prevention, is that single "123" IP. As long as that IP is corresponding to the proper MAC of the client's dedi/VM, it is not possible to steal any of the IPs in the "customernet".

Thanked by 1Nyr

rm_ said: With routed subnets the client gets one IP from a shared network, e.g. 2001:db8:sharednet::123, then the provider sets up their router in effect similar to:

Actually I've used this setup with one KVM I have, silly me.

• Given the enormous response this request has generated - Any offers/recommendations if I relax the US East preference?

I am loathe to go the ndppd route but thanks for the information as well as the info on Linode. I guess I have to patient and wait for any specials.

I know that tunnel broker is an option (and I use it right now) but I was trying to find native IPv6 support.

Thanks again.