Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are there any reviews from LET members about yandex?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Are there any reviews from LET members about yandex?

jvnadrjvnadr Member

I just started to try yandex mail/passport using my own domain (a free alternative to google apps). They have a nice interface, free unlimited own domains, unlimited mail space and a 10GB drive for each mail user account. I know that yandex is a giant in Russia and some other countries, much bigger there than Google. Their free accounts specs seem exceptional, they seem even better than google apps. Have anyone LETter tried them for the long term? Any reviews?

Comments

• trvztrvz Member

It's like Google, a little bit worse, a lot less evil.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

What do you mean by saying "a little bit worse"? In specs? In performance? In stability?

• angstromangstrom Moderator

I have a Yandex account, but I just use their web interface for mail -- I haven't yet tried to use my own domain. Their mail interface is nice, arguably nicer than Gmail's. What I find especially useful about the 10GB drive space that they give is that you can access it through the standard WebDAV protocol -- it's not some proprietary protocol that you need yet another proprietary app(lication) for. (Naturally, the risk is that this will change at some point in the future, but it's very useful at present.)

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • cociucociu Member

in my sincerly opinion have only one difference here : who prefere to spy you ? USA or Russia ? , only this is the difference

• drdrakedrdrake Member

I have been a happy yandex user for a few months now. They have better features than Google. One thing that I like about them is that you generate one time passwords and you can use your email anywhere without worrying about the password. When you use google you will always have to enter your password even if you use 2 step authentication. Yandex also doesn't have all in one service like Google (keep, android, contacts, passwords etc..) which for me is good. No centralized information. I have been testing to see if it goes to spam and i always get a better score than Google on mail-tester.com. Enter the required dns records and you will never see spam. Yandex android mail app is better than Gmail app.

• MunMun Member

@Arjon said:
    I have been a happy yandex user for a few months now. They have better features than Google. One thing that I like about them is that you generate one time passwords and you can use your email anywhere without worrying about the password. When you use google you will always have to enter your password even if you use 2 step authentication. Yandex also doesn't have all in one service like Google (keep, android, contacts, passwords etc..) which for me is good. No centralized information. I have been testing to see if it goes to spam and i always get a better score than Google on mail-tester.com. Enter the required dns records and you will never see spam. Yandex android mail app is better than Gmail app.

Actually google does have the functionality for one time passwords.

• Yandex is nice. I have been using it for 6 months for few of my domains. They're very good.

• drdrakedrdrake Member

@Mun said:

@Arjon said:

Didn't know that. Where can I find it?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2016

angstrom said: What I find especially useful about the 10GB drive space that they give is that you can access it through the standard WebDAV protocol

They also offer an upgrade to 1TB space for 2000 RUB/year ($30/year).

• MunMun Member

@Arjon said:

@Mun said:

@Arjon said:

They are called App Passwords.

You can find them under My Account > Signing into Google.

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en

• drdrakedrdrake Member

@Mun said:

@Arjon said:

@Mun said:

@Arjon said:

Lol. App passwords and one time passwords are totally different.

• MunMun Member

@Arjon said:

@Mun said:

@Arjon said:

@Mun said:

@Arjon said:

Lol. App passwords and one time passwords are totally different.

To me they work the same, and better. -shrugs-.

• zedzed Member

Using Yandex just over 1yr for a handful of domains, subdomains, and @yandex.com accounts, I can't recall ever having an issue (yet, I guess ;)).

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • tommytommy Member

The only downside from my experience, if you add multiple email into one email, you can create specific folder for each email only change the color

Thanked by 1jvnadr