Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best way to learn BGP
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best way to learn BGP

CasterCaster Member

Any book, tutorials you can recommend ?

I have seen APNIC and RIPE yt videos but still am totally noob at this (there are more things but this is 0.1%)

Comments

• edited May 2016

DN42, give it a try. I did some of that at one point of time, but stopped because it just kinda ends there, it's like a meshed VPN actually (but with "peering" w/ other people and some sort of registry for all these.)

Personally I have been going on bgp.he.net to see how networks peer with one another, fascinating stuff.

(if anyone has any guides too, do shoot me with them, I'm very interested actually)

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited May 2016

The CCNA / CCNP / CCIE coures? Those are expensive though.
    Why do you need to learn BGP in the first place? 99% of the people in the IT industry don't need to know it or care about it.

Anyway you can start by reading the RFC - RFC4271 -
    https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4271

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • CasterCaster Member

@rds100 said:
    The CCNA / CCNP / CCIE coures? Those are expensive though.
    Why do you need to learn BGP in the first place? 99% of the people in the IT industry don't need to know it or care about it.

Anyway you can start by reading the RFC - RFC4271 -
    https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4271

Whats wrong in learning new things ? we dont always need to do but we still do it because we dont want to stand in the same place forever. Don't you think like that ?

• rds100rds100 Member

@Caster absolutely nothing wrong, but i think it would be more profitable long term to learn things like writing android and ios apps for instance :)

Thanked by 1Caster
  • @Caster: If you've got a box at home that has some decent power for a few VMs, you can spin up CentOS or Ubuntu and install Quagga/Zebra. That will allow you the ability to create an in-home BGP network, learn how they peer, and all the fun stuff that goes along with it. Quagga syntax is very Cisco-esque.

Some fun stuff: http://xmodulo.com/turn-centos-box-into-ospf-router-quagga.html

Thanked by 2Caster vimalware
  • TomTom Member

Love DN42.

• CasterCaster Member

@wedgehost said:
    @Caster: If you've got a box at home that has some decent power for a few VMs, you can spin up CentOS or Ubuntu and install Quagga/Zebra. That will allow you the ability to create an in-home BGP network, learn how they peer, and all the fun stuff that goes along with it. Quagga syntax is very Cisco-esque.

This looks interesting.
    By box can i setup on Rpi's ? i have a bunch of them lying arround and a router that connecting them all. Or VirtualBox vm's with inter network ?

also when people say "public vlan" or "private vlan" does that mean physical routers ?

• @Caster: I use a decently powered machine with a lot of RAM and run VirtualBox on it, with some different host-only networks which allow me to simulate public and private vlans.

• CasterCaster Member

@wedgehost said:
    @Caster: I use a decently powered machine with a lot of RAM and run VirtualBox on it, with some different host-only networks which allow me to simulate public and private vlans.

by "a lot of ram" you mean like 32G or 96G ?

• @Caster: I'd say anything over 16GB if the machine is dedicated to this project. Anything above 32GB is overkill in my opinion, unless you're trying to use it in a production environment (but WHY would you do that? =P).

Thanked by 1Caster
  • CasterCaster Member

@wedgehost said:
    @Caster: I'd say anything over 16GB if the machine is dedicated to this project. Anything above 32GB is overkill in my opinion, unless you're trying to use it in a production environment (but WHY would you do that? =P).

Thanks a lot.
    both DN42
    and
    http://xmodulo.com/turn-centos-box-into-ospf-router-quagga.html

is tempting.
    DN42 looks well documented and Object and etc stuff looks what i had used earlier :P

• alexnjhalexnjh Member

DN42 or you could get a AS number from a LIR and do peering with HE etc.

GNS3 could help too.

• CasterCaster Member

A noob question i am posting again.

say i have a /22
    and want to divide it to 4x/24 to announce from multiple locations , what i do for that ? just normal annoucement ?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Caster said:
    A noob question i am posting again.

say i have a /22
    and want to divide it to 4x/24 to announce from multiple locations , what i do for that ? just normal annoucement ?

Yep, you could announce it as split /24's and just not have the aggregated block not announced.

Francisco

• TropiHostTropiHost Member
    edited May 2016

This is how i did it:

1: Look for a job at a NOC

2: Get said job

3: Learn BGP

3.1: What i'm i doing here again?

• CasterCaster Member

@TropiHost said:
    This is how i did it:

1: Look for a job at a NOC

2: Get said job

3: Learn BGP

3.1: What i'm i doing here again?

on a level of 1-10 you are the most retarded person i have ever seen

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • @wedgehost said:
    @Caster: If you've got a box at home that has some decent power for a few VMs, you can spin up CentOS or Ubuntu and install Quagga/Zebra. That will allow you the ability to create an in-home BGP network, learn how they peer, and all the fun stuff that goes along with it. Quagga syntax is very Cisco-esque.

Or just use Vyos, although the CLI is closer to juniper than Cisco (or so I've been told, not worked on Juniper kit... Yet)

• patrick7patrick7 Member, LIR

Syntax on VyOS may look like juniper, but the commands are mostly cisco/quagga style (in the background, there is quagga)

I'd recommend quagga for beginning with BGP.

• Use something like VyOS in VMs.

It makes very little sense to work directly with routing daemons, unless that is a niche you you are looking to get into.

You can easily Google all kinds of info on BGP. It's not particularly difficult.