Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A question regarding the effectiveness of a NAT used for Games
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

A question regarding the effectiveness of a NAT used for Games

YmpkerYmpker Member

Heya,
I do have multiple PCs at home and as my internet isn't as fast, I would like to use a NAT to have all my games (from steam/origin/battle.net) synched with all the other PCs once I update them on one PC. Meaning they will be patched on both PCs afterwards. Would a NAT be a good solution here or does it slow down the game speed too much?

Comments

• if you are doing this at home with your internal network, then should depends of the uplink speed 100mbps or 1000mbps.

I don't think that will be slow.

but if you have a slow internet connection, then it will be slow to play with other people, it doesn't depend your internal network

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

by NAT you mean NAS?

Thanked by 2dedicados Ympker
  • nepsneps Member

He most definitely means NAS. It's the only way his post would make sense.

Thanked by 2rm_ Ympker
  • exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

Ok, then here is my answer assuming you mean NAS.

I think the performance slow down depends on the game, but generally it should be noticeable. Instead I would recommend to try some clustered filesystem solution (like glusterfs), which can keep a local copy of files on each connected PC.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

*NAS sorry