Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I am tired of life...
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I am tired of life...

AmitzAmitz Member
edited May 2016 in Help

Dear all,

no worries - no suicidal tendencies here. It's just that I am completely fed up with self-hosting and self-managing my stuff. I host my own (private and professional) sites as well as around 50 sites for friends on VPS and dedicated servers for years now. Everything works fine most of the time. But whenever I go on holiday (like at the moment) something breaks and forces me to spend several hours in front of a notebook in some Hotel Lobby or Internet Café. Not only myself, but also my wife, are tired and annoyed of this.

So I will have to think of alternatives. I would order a large KnownHost or WiredTree VPS with cPanel and managed support directly (both worked very well for me in the past). However, hosting my sensitive data outside of the EU is no option any longer. AFAIK, there are no providers within the EU that are comparable to the two companies I mentionned. Or is there anyone you would recommend? Not wanting to sound offensive, but it should be a company with a proven long-term track record and not some small LET host. I am willing to spend serious money and expect serious, reliable service. Who are the KnownHost/Wiredtree within the EU?

Another option would be a large cPanel reseller account (Shared Hosting) instead of a VPS. I would keep everything ressource hungry on an additional dedicated server anyway. But there is always one thing that worries me when it comes to cPanel Reseller Hosting - Backups. It seems there is no real good way to do automated backups for so many accounts in that environment as long as you have no root access.

How do you handle this? I am open to any good suggestion. I just want to be able to fire a friendly ticket or eMail to my provider if something breaks and then lean back, well knowing that somebody takes care while I go trekking.

Thanks in advance for any good hint!

Thanked by 1MikePT

Comments

• WHTWHT Member

The best managed services I ever used was at Verotech. I was in the same sutuation. There is a guy called Brent and am sure you will like it.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • Hey,

Same situation... moved my dedicated servers to netcup from online.net because sometimes the server disk failed and then there was a lots of work and downtime & stress. And if the server fail i mean the cpu , motherboard then you are lost.

So finally i moved to netcup as they got very big servers , hp brand , hardware raid card and raid 10. Now i am happy.. no problem anymore.. welcome to a better life (for me). Performance almost the same.

What do you think :)? You need more?

https://www.netcup.eu/professional/managed-server/managed-privateserver.php

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • seoworldseoworld Member
    edited May 2016

For SEO strategy i have very much self managed VPS at different vps-provider and when the break is in the holidays - then the web must wait. The most run with VestaCP and i use the automatic ftp-backup.

But the important webs, also customer webaccounts with mail, database and so on, are on managed server - my recommendation is https://cyberwebhosting.de/server/managed-server - also there is a full-backup ;-)

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited May 2016

Thank you, guys - that is the right direction!

@WHT - Which Verotech are you referring to? I found several companies with that name. Do you have an URL for me? Thanks!

@ZweiTiger - Sounds absolutely perfect, if it wouldn't be Plesk. I hate Plesk with a passion, unfortunately. What a pity...

@kcaj - A good possibility for sure, given that it includes a cPanel license, too. But I think that I would rather prefer to pay per incident rather than monthly. I only need that kind of service when I am on holiday or busy with other things, so maybe 2-5 times a year. Paying USD 100,- per month is not out of proportion, but maybe a bit over the top given that I don't need hand holding on a daily basis. So either a lower monthly flat fee or per incident.

I have also contacted my most appreciated provider (Prometeus) to see whether they have an idea on how to handle this. Still I am grateful for any further suggestion that you might have for me!

• ehabehab Member

Amitz what happens when you are not well or god forbids an accident! who is your backup? if you didn't find the perfect host then maybe you need some personal to take care of things.

if you make money from what you do then it should be part of billable running costs. but if its a hobby thing then its time to relax and enjoy life without those worries.

• leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

Have you considered adding Platinumservermanagement service to your self-managed VPS ?

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited May 2016

@ehab: No, I am not doing this to earn money. I make my living in a completely different industry. It's just that I never thought about letting someone else do what I could do myself. But still my own company (Family business, nobody else there has an IT affinity) and some friends with their small-business sites rely on me taking care.

@leapswitch: I worked with PSM years ago and they have been one of the reasons why I decided to do it on my own... ;-) It took them longer to react than me taking care of the issue myself. Not complaining - one cannot expect miracles for the price.

I also contacted my favorite provider (Prometeus) whether they have a proposal on how to handle situations like this. I would prefer keeping my important stuff there, because they never disappointed me, but they do not offer that kind of management normally. Salvatore promised to think about a possible solution, so I am looking forward to this too.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

@Amitz said:

@leapswitch: I worked with PSM years ago and they have been one of the reasons why I decided to do it on my own... ;-) It took them longer to react than me taking care of the issue myself. Not complaining - one cannot expect miracles for the price.

I also contacted my favorite provider (Prometeus) whether they have a proposal on how to handle situations like this. I would prefer keeping my important stuff there, because they never disappointed me, but they do not offer that kind of management normally. Salvatore promised to think about a possible solution, so I am looking forward to this too.

We can offer management for Prometeus/Iwstack VMs. Support is in-house and 24x7 via Chat/Helpdesk/Phone . Or if you can go for our other locations (Portugal, Spain, Germany, Ukraine) , we can offer Managed cPanel VPSes.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@Amitz said:
    Thank you, guys - that is the right direction!

@WHT - Which Verotech are you referring to? I found several companies with that name. Do you have an URL for me? Thanks!

@ZweiTiger - Sounds absolutely perfect, if it wouldn't be Plesk. I hate Plesk with a passion, unfortunately. What a pity...

@kcaj - A good possibility for sure, given that it includes a cPanel license, too. But I think that I would rather prefer to pay per incident rather than monthly. I only need that kind of service when I am on holiday or busy with other things, so maybe 2-5 times a year. Paying USD 100,- per month is not out of proportion, but maybe a bit over the top given that I don't need hand holding on a daily basis. So either a lower monthly flat fee or per incident.

I have also contacted my most appreciated provider (Prometeus) to see whether they have an idea on how to handle this. Still I am grateful for any further suggestion that you might have for me!

I am gonna +1 for netcup at this rate. Outstanding support and performance :)

• it happen to me a lot, but i want to ask, what kind of errors do you get? or what is your main problem, email? uptime?

Thanked by 1netomx
  • JoeMeritJoeMerit Veteran

Sounds like you should be moving your friends off your free managed hosting service.

• hamperedhampered Member
    edited May 2016

Long time lurker, first time poster.
    I had this issue too, not with as many sites but the only way I get involved with hosting things for others if it is static and I can put it on AWS S3 or recently Google Cloud Storage. Email wise, I'll help them get Google apps but definitely not self hosted.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited May 2016

@Amitz said:
    Dear all,

no worries - no suicidal tendencies here. It's just that I am completely fed up with self-hosting and self-managing my stuff. I host my own (private and professional) sites as well as around 50 sites for friends on VPS and dedicated servers for years now. Everything works fine most of the time. But whenever I go on holiday (like at the moment) something breaks and forces me to spend several hours in front of a notebook in some Hotel Lobby or Internet Café. Not only myself, but also my wife, are tired and annoyed of this.

So I will have to think of alternatives. I would order a large KnownHost or WiredTree VPS with cPanel and managed support directly (both worked very well for me in the past). However, hosting my sensitive data outside of the EU is no option any longer. AFAIK, there are no providers within the EU that are comparable to the two companies I mentionned. Or is there anyone you would recommend? Not wanting to sound offensive, but it should be a company with a proven long-term track record and not some small LET host. I am willing to spend serious money and expect serious, reliable service. Who are the KnownHost/Wiredtree within the EU?

Another option would be a large cPanel reseller account (Shared Hosting) instead of a VPS. I would keep everything ressource hungry on an additional dedicated server anyway. But there is always one thing that worries me when it comes to cPanel Reseller Hosting - Backups. It seems there is no real good way to do automated backups for so many accounts in that environment as long as you have no root access.

How do you handle this? I am open to any good suggestion. I just want to be able to fire a friendly ticket or eMail to my provider if something breaks and then lean back, well knowing that somebody takes care while I go trekking.

Thanks in advance for any good hint!

As we value you a lot... Feel free to send me a ticket. We've been hosting companies websites since 2008, and those services are NOT announced in the internet. We don't want DDoS prone kiddos here. I'll be able to get you a big shared hosting account in our servers @ hosted in drServer. :-)

We offer Managed cPanel Hosting as well as VPS. We'll handle 3rd party software issues and such scenarios for you.

• MrGeneral said: We offer Managed cPanel Hosting as well as VPS. We'll handle 3rd party software issues and such scenarios for you.

and why you dont have a Provider tag? c'mon

Thanked by 2Riz netomx
  • danigeamanudanigeamanu Member
    edited May 2016

I would recommend you http://managedvservers.com, their vps and dedicated servers are all managed with cpanel and external backup included.
    Their webhosting plans are very expensive, but you can try to negotiate, I heard they are quite flexible.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited May 2016

@dedicados said:

MrGeneral said: We offer Managed cPanel Hosting as well as VPS. We'll handle 3rd party software issues and such scenarios for you.

and why you dont have a Provider tag? c'mon

We do not advertise our Hosting services here, and anywhere. Only in Portugal, for the companies we design websites to, email hosting and such :-)
    We're not within LEB pricing.

Thanked by 2zafouhar netomx
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

liquidweb is in NL. I am familiar with WT & KH and I hear LW in the same context but don't knownif they're similar.

• AmitzAmitz Member

Thank you all! After some more thinking, I came to the conclusion that all I need is a large cPanel reseller account with a custom backup solution. No VPS, no further management requirements besides the cPanel services working as they should. I am already talking with some providers (including my preferred one, Prometeus) and hope to come to an agreement. Therefore I will close this thread for now and maybe re-open it, if necessary.

Again, thank you - This thread helped me to better understand my real needs.

Thanked by 1support123
This discussion has been closed.