Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

cheap VPN router any idea???
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

cheap VPN router any idea???

RamiRami Member
edited February 2013 in General

I need a cheap VPN router for one of my clients to connect 2 or 3 branches with vpn (with my vpn servers)
some one told me about Asus RT-N16 Is it good??
and if any one have idea about better one (most be cheap)
Thanks

Comments

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

microtik?

• SonicVPSSonicVPS Member
    edited February 2013

What type of VPN?

Microtiks are pretty good and can handle this.

Edit: What @Prometeus said.

• @prometeus said: microtik?

you mean mikrotik
    I forget it I will look in it

• MartinDMartinD Member
    edited February 2013

I've got a few mikrotik routerboxes in use. Nifty little things. Got one that plays the starwars theme tune when it boots.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@Rami said: you mean mikrotik

Yes, I'm sorry :-)

• @SonicVPS said: What type of VPN?

Microtiks are pretty good and can handle this.

Edit: What @Prometeus said.

PPTP, L2TP/IPSec or OpenVPN I have servers for this three

• @prometeus said: @Rami said: you mean mikrotik

Yes, I'm sorry :-)

no problem :)

• I forget to say that he will use it to connect accounting system in these branches with these routers

• Mikrotik really is your best option then. I have them running to all our management stuff and previously, elsewhere, we had them running to link up satellite offices for accounting software and internal stuff. They work very well and they're cheap!

• RamiRami Member
    edited February 2013

@MartinD said: Mikrotik really is your best option then. I have them running to all our management stuff and previously, elsewhere, we had them running to link up satellite offices for accounting software and internal stuff. They work very well and they're cheap!

yes they are very cheap and available in the market
    what is the model you are using
    Thanks a lot

• I use an Asus RT-N16 router with Tomato firmware (Toastman build) and run the openvpn client on the router. It works fine, but it does use a lot of cpu. My 3mbps dsl line is fine, but at some point you'll hit a limit (maybe around 5-10 mbps).

I have some older routers I ran Tomato firmware on also, and the vpn client can also work on those with the right firmware version. Like the Asus WL-520GU and the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54. Those have even less cpu power, though, so they'll be even more limited for vpn speed.

• RamiRami Member
    edited February 2013

@david I like Asus RT-N16 but the problem that I can not find it in the market (in Egypt)

So I will try Mikrotik for now
    Thanks

• @Rami I'd have to go check the office so can do tomorrow.

• @MartinD said: @Rami I'd have to go check the office so can do tomorrow.

OK, I'm waiting
    Thanks a lot

• Branch offices on the cheap?

Time == money . Keep people working by not trying to safe a few quid on a router.

• RamiRami Member
    edited February 2013

@abaxas said: Branch offices on the cheap?

Time == money . Keep people working by not trying to safe a few quid on a router.

right Time = Money
    I do not mean with cheap to be rabish router I want a good one for a good price

• Cisco/juniper is cheap, well supported and boss friendly.

In the business scheme of things, £300/$500 for a branch router is peanuts compaired to other costs.

• @abaxas With mikrotik you got an router for 100€ that support more features and bandwidth than Cisco or juniper for 5000€..For e.g. RB2011UAS-RM with bgp, ospf,vpn,load balancing,..They offers a nice scripting language and a nice working console and gui for their routers too. Cisco or juniper don´t offer something simple like that..

Mikrotik offers a nice support without any support contracts. They beat all office routers on the market! If you need data center routing equipment, should go with cisco asr.

• Old cisco pix 515 or 525 :)

• abaxasabaxas Member
    edited February 2013

ermmm..

Support Request Instructions

When contacting us at support[at]mikrotik.com:

Make sure that you have the latest version of the RouterOS. If you don't have it, upgrade your router to the latest version and check if the problem still persists!

Quality!

• pcanpcan Member
    edited February 2013

Try the smallest Sonicwalls if you want a field proven firewall that is stable and easy to configure; to enable VPN, purchase the add-on license if needed.
    The drawback: after the recent Dell acquisition of Sonicwall, I already see first ripples on support; I used Sonicwall for years on branch offices with good results. Now I am looking around for alternatives, should the Dell "touch" be a little to heawy in the future. Palo Alto firewalls have impressive features, but price is way too high. Cisco firewalls have a very bad feature/price ratio.

Does anyone already tried pfsense on this branch office VPN scenario?

• +1 for MikroTik but in case you want to use OpenVPN note that as far as I know they still only support OpenVPN over TCP which can be problematic...

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

DD-WRT gets my vote. I have 2 Buffalo routers (one at home and one in our cabinet in Tampa), both with DD-WRT and use the VPN servers (pptp) daily for both.

New Buffalo routers come with DD-WRT by default and support PPTP and OpenVPN out of the box.

• RamiRami Member
    edited February 2013

@KuJoe until now Mikrotik win
    but I do like DD-WRT too, I used it before it is very easy and simple

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@KuJoe said: DD-WRT gets my vote.

Mine too. Tho I use tomato now, DD-WRT is more stable in my case, but lacks some features for newer boards, particularly those with multiple USBs and IPv6 good support.

• I also use dd-wrt @ my home its very stable.