Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Linux FTP Server Software with Web GUI?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Linux FTP Server Software with Web GUI?

I need to help a friend setup an FTP Server. He and a few others just needs it for file transfer and storage. I've looked into solutions like owncloud and seafile, which would probably work, but they seem really overkill. My friend isn't great with console commands and is fairly new to linux. I am willing to set it up, but don't wanna make this little project my permanent baby. Therefore I think a GUI interface would be most helpful for him in this situation. Is there any FTP server software for linux that has like a Web GUI or something? Best I could find is this. http://dalalven.dtdns.net/linux/gadmintools-webpage/

Surely there has to be something better than that? Any ideas or suggestions?

Comments

• What exactly needs to be accomplished via a UI? Can you expand on what problem it is you're trying to solve for?

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

Any free panel would do. Virtualmin, vestacp, ispconfig etc.

• Add users, change permissions, etc. I know a few easy commands can do this via ssh, but was wondering if there was an easy to use GUI that could help. Kind of like cpanel but it just controls FTP server software and not everything else.

• He basically want a web accessible folder (Either http or ftp) where he can dump tons of files into. He wants each user to have access to the same folder(s) but each with their own login and varying permissions. Some will have write access, some will just have read.

• I agree with @jvnadr that any of those free panels would suffice, but again, its over-kill for what they're after. I think a few lines of code and a few minutes to set up an FTP server with a MySQL back-end may be the way to go as far as user management. There are a lot of web-based FTP clients out there. Feel free to message me if you want some more info.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

@wedgehost I agree with you that terminal would be the best solution for just setting up a ftp server. But, for a new or lazy user, using something like webmin, would not be an overkill for a server, the resources using it just for ftp would be minimal.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

@theblackesthat Use webmin/virtualmin. Not easy interface but there are all the options to get the permissions you want.

• @jvnadr said:
    @wedgehost I agree with you that terminal would be the best solution for just setting up a ftp server. But, for a new or lazy user, using something like webmin, would not be an overkill for a server, the resources using it just for ftp would be minimal.

Agreed - Webmin may be the easiest/lowest cost to get into (time and money), and should provide most of the management aspects. @theblackesthat mentioned they want to create different permissions on the same directories for different users - that's the only place I think we'll see Webmin or the like fault.

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • Wouldn't webmin give each user their own folder? Any each user could only access their own folder. He wants one big community folder that probably 10-20 different users will have access to. Some will be able to modify files or add files to it and some will just have read privileges.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

wedgehost said: that's the only place I think we'll see Webmin or the like fault

It is doable with webmin but a bit complicated. I can think of a couple approaches, but not a single click to do it.

• Do you have time to explain or provide a link of how we can accomplish this with webmin? Therefore I can teach him how to administrate this thing. Any form of GUI learning is gonna be much easier for him than commands. Thanks.

• Layer03Layer03 Member, Host Rep

Have you install webmin and usermin already? The gui is very straight foward in some areas.

• No I haven't yet, I'm about to spin up a virtual box now and load it on. Never used webmin before. Always used command line or cpanel or similar.

• edited May 2016

Wonder if I could install http://www.nas4free.org or http://www.freenas.org/ and use that?

• net2ftp

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • No special software is needed.

To prove it, I just now logged in to a remote server and dragged a file from Konquoror to Dolphin. Just use Linux browser and filemanager. Nice easy GUI FTP interface in KDE but I'd be surprised if all the other file/web browsers didn't do FTP as well. It's been standard for years. Hell, why not just use Firefox?

• farsighterfarsighter Member
    edited May 2016

PureFTPd has an optional GUI.

You can also use FileZilla server through Wine.

• jbarrjbarr Member
    edited May 2016

What about just using Filezilla with an SSH account? Seems, clean, and secure. Creating a User is easy with command line or with VestaCP. Then just provide a shared folder.

Thanked by 1ragtop4