Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can I decrease RAM size on VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can I decrease RAM size on VPS?

chonkchonk Member

Hi,
I have a VPS running on ESXi 6.
CloudLinux on Centos 6.7 installed and it's a cPanel server.

It's all working good. But here's the question.

I created it with 64GB virtual RAM. So OS sees that, cPanel sees that 64GB. Sounds good. But I don't need 64GB now. 32GB will be enough for me. If I shut down this VPS and edit RAM size to 32GB and turn it on again will it work same as now?

What's the worst scenerio?

Comments

• SpartanHostSpartanHost Member, Host Rep

Yes, RAM is easily changeable without any repercussions. There isn't really any scenario where anything should break to warn you about.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Worst scenario is you'll find performance isn't as needed and you really need 64GB, in which case you can edit and revert. But you won't break anything on the system. Your only risk is performance.

• going down to 32 should be ok, you won't see as much of a difference really, cpanel doesn't benefit that much from such high RAM, so unless you've got extremely heavy sites on there you should be good.
    And changing the ram allocation is easy in a virtual machine

• chonkchonk Member

Thanks for answers.
    Actually when i check usage it's 20G/64G.

I don't think there will be a difference too.
    Maybe for safety point, i can decrease it to 48GB

• @chonk said:
    Thanks for answers.
    Actually when i check usage it's 20G/64G.

I don't think there will be a difference too.
    Maybe for safety point, i can decrease it to 48GB

You can change it to 32GB without any problem.
    I've had a cPanel dedicated server with 24GB ram and over 200 accounts. I upgraded it to 48GB, but didn't seen any improvement, because they didn't used so much RAM, 24GB was enough.